Long Distance Relationship ending in two months - what's next?

minnesotadrake

Hi - first time posting on here...My gf and I have been dating for 15 months and have survived the long distance relationship 1200 miles away where she goes to college. In December she'll be packing her things and finally moving back to our hometown. I'm really really excited, but wanted to ask everyone a few questions about this transition:

1) How have others handled this? Were so used to seeing each other once a month and I don't want to jinx my relationship by putting too much into it 24/7. She's 21, i'm 27...so I don't want to move too quick.

2) Living together: Since she's 21 and has never lived on her own, I think that this is really important for her to experience. At the same time, I wouldn't mind living with her at my house. Does this totally destroy a relationship? Would she feel that she needs these experiences when living with me?

3) Any other tips of making this a smooth transition (guys/girls night outs ect) would be greatly appreciated. Again, I want to continue to nurture this relationship and I don't want to move too quick. Any thoughts would be great :) thanks

Well it sounds like your situation is a little different than a lot of ours. She will be moving back to her hometown, so she will already have some old friends and of course her family, right? So thats A LOT easier for her and a lot easier to letting you both have your own separate lives.

I definitely would at least let her live on her own for a year or two, for you two to get accustomed to living in the same town again. (That is just my opinion though, I'm moving to live near my boyfriend but I will be living in a dorm vs, living in an apartment with him, just for us to get used to being in a town together before actually living together)

2) Living together: Since she's 21 and has never lived on her own, I think that this is really important for her to experience. At the same time, I wouldn't mind living with her at my house. Does this totally destroy a relationship? Would she feel that she needs these experiences when living with me?

Well living with her might be nice and im not going to say it totally destroys relationships but it puts pressure on it for sure, I am a woman and I have had a few guys move in with no previous self living experience and while you don't think you'll have a problem now and that you can be patient and understanding its always only lasted so long for me till I am totally annoyed by things that they should be doing without having to be asked. Things a person living by themselves is forced to learn.

I agree with her living on her own first, but who to say you guys cant act like you live together? maybe you'll let her stay over as much as she wants! it would almost be like living togther but when its break time/alone time you can part and its wonderful.

Congrats on getting through your time apart! :)

I definitely think she needs to have her own space when she moves back and not jump into moving in with you straight away. Since you live so close and presumably both have friends and family nearby, this will make the transition alot easier too.

She's still very young and it's great that you don't want to rush things.