How do you make it work?

So, I'm new to this board. Just recently got introduced to a very nice guy. Well, he lives miles away but since we got introduced, we have talked quite a bit. We're both starting to like one another a lot (well, we liked each other when we met but knowing the distance, we didn't say anything) and now I'm starting to wonder. He's moving a bit closer to me in the summer.

I wanted to hear some input: how do you make an LDR work and is it worth it? I mean, I like him but the distance is making me anxious. I already had sort of an LDR a couple of months ago (an hour drive) and it didn't work out. This one is even farther away. So, is it possible to make it work? Should we even bother crossing that line?

Thanks for the input. :)

Since I am now living with my prior LDR, I can tell you it DOES work out. And we had a distance of 1200 miles - I know others who have more miles and it worked out.

You need to both be on the same page though. You need to BOTH put in the effort. You must communicate as much as you can, both in quality and quantity. If one is having a bad day or is scared or angry, the other needs to be there and listen, and be understanding and encouraging.

It boils down to how much you BOTH want it to work. Good luck!

You both have to want it to work, very badly. You have to deeply like/love/care for one another and trust each other. It takes two people who can communicate well, in my opinion. My boyfriend and I text and have almost nightly phone conversations. We see each other as much as possible, we have 5 hours between us (but are in the same state). You have to be very flexible, understanding and confident in yourself and your relationship to do it. Definitely is the part of my life I struggle most with, I love my life..but this part of it is very hard for me.

• Author

Thank you both for your inputs. I'm going to have to sit on this. Frankly, I don't want to make my life more difficult and complex. So, I'm going to really think this one through. He's a nice guy and all. The distance though is not so nice. :o

• 2 weeks later...
smartlypretty

Mine is over 3800 miles- has been for 3 years, will be indefinitely. It can work if you love each other. I do it because it's my only option- the man I love is on another continent. I have no choice. :)