Interview is Tomorrow

Island Girl

Hello All

Well, hubby is in Fiji right now.

His interview at the embassy is tomorrow.

Finally all of this paperwork for immigration will be done.

And then we wait for the decision.

Things didn't work out as they were supposed to for preparation for him interview.

People there whom I have helped repeatedly in many many ways did not come through with a long sleeved shirt for him to wear. They said they'd let him borrow one as they have many his size. But they ducked his phone calls for three days and then he had to get on the plane for Fiji. :mad:

So he has a button down shirt with a tie but it is short sleeved.

The suggestion given by someone was a button down shirt that had long sleeves so his tattoos would be covered.

I am just hoping that the tattoos on his arms won't be an issue. I mean the islands invented tattoos and they do not have gang meanings or anything.

I just had hoped everything would be perfect.

And it isn't.

So I am now wrestling with that and just hoping and believing that it has to be okay.

Things never work out perfectly- you can plan all you want, things will still go wrong.

I don't think the Tatts will be an issue, why would they be?

They're judging him on the paperwork and the validity of his claim.

How come you aren't allowed to be there?

Wishing you all the best IG- I know how long you've waited.

Must be extremely frustrating.

I think Karma is on your side. Afterall- you are going through all this stuff, and most people would be thinking only of themselves, but the majority of the posts I see from you are supporting and guiding others.;)

Hope you can get some rest tonight!!

D

• Author
Island Girl
Things never work out perfectly- you can plan all you want, things will still go wrong.

Yes. You are so right. *sigh*

I don't think the Tatts will be an issue, why would they be?

They're judging him on the paperwork and the validity of his claim.

I hope not. They can make a decision based on whatever they want really. There are plenty of cases where they made unfair rulings and some of them were turned on appeal -- some were not. Immigration is just very scary and they really have no hard fast guidelines or rules.

How come you aren't allowed to be there?

I am allowed to go to the embassy with him and that was the original plan. But I could not afford to buy a ticket for Fiji right now. :(

Wishing you all the best IG- I know how long you've waited.

Must be extremely frustrating.

Thank you. Yes, I have waited a long, long, very long time for this. We are currently in year number seven. :eek:__:(

I think Karma is on your side. Afterall- you are going through all this stuff, and most people would be thinking only of themselves, but the majority of the posts I see from you are supporting and guiding others.;)

There is some selfishness in that. At least it takes my mind of my own issues! And it always helps me to help others. But thanks again for that D-Lish.

The Shack has helped so much with this and just life issues in general.

Where would we be without it! ;)

Hope you can get some rest tonight!!

D

I don't know that sleep is in the cards tonight.

I am giving him a wake up call early in the morning and am getting a checklist together to make sure I have said all I can say and reminded him of everything I can.

Tomorrow maybe.

I think I am just going to be a wreck until it is over with.

When do you find out?

Is it right away, or one of those "you'll get your answer in the mail" kind of things?

I knew it was long, didn't know it was 7 years, holy crap!

Wow!

If this doesn't work it- **** it all....he can sprint across at Tijuana!!

Just kidding:rolleyes:

I'd live in Fiji:love:

IS this about citizenship- or a work visa??

You guys are married right? Doesn't that make it more automatic?

Forgive me- I am not familiar with US immigration laws.

For sure- both of you would have had an easier time/shorter time getting both your citizenships in Canada!:D

I really, really hope this gets resolved in your favour tomorrow...

And I know what you mean about posting to others as a distraction, but it still doesn't negate the fact that you actually find distraction in helping other people.:cool:

• Author
Island Girl
When do you find out?

Is it right away, or one of those "you'll get your answer in the mail" kind of things?

It is one of those "in the mail" kind of things. I had a hell of a time trying to get a straight answer about it but basically when pressed at how long it will take for a decision the answer I got in writing was "3 to 6 months or longer" so it remains anyone's guess as to how much longer. BUT that time doesn't start ticking until his interview is complete -- so that will be finally finished tomorrow.

I knew it was long, didn't know it was 7 years, holy crap!

Well, really 2 and 1/2 years doing all this immigration crap. But we have been LDR for 7 years.

We were married in 2006 so that is when the immigration work started.

If this doesn't work it- **** it all....he can sprint across at Tijuana!!

Just kidding:rolleyes:

There are people who have suggested that! No joke! LOL

But if he did and he were "discovered" he would be barred permanently. And fighting that would be a whole different mess.

When he does get here we want everything on the up and up for work, etc.

But believe me it IS tempting!! ;)

I'd live in Fiji:love:

I know! Me too! It is so beautiful there.

But he doesn't live in Fiji either. He is just there for the interview since that embassy pretty much handles everything for most of the Pacific Islands.

IS this about citizenship- or a work visa??

It is bringing him to the US as my spouse. If approved he'll get his permanent resident visa that gets renewed every 10 years. He basically will have the longest and most permanent visa there is.

The next step is citizenship. But we haven't dared think that far ahead.

You guys are married right? Doesn't that make it more automatic?

Forgive me- I am not familiar with US immigration laws.

Yes married since 2006. But that does not make the process automatic. Not in any case.

But in his case, he overstayed on his original visa so he has to ask for "forgiveness" for that basically. That is what will take 3 to 6 months or longer for them to decide.

Immigration to the US seems to be the toughest out there. And with laws changing etc. it just keeps getting harder.

I have been working on this for three years and I still can't tell you definitively what is what.

So believe me not understanding the process is nothing to apologize for.

I really, really hope this gets resolved in your favour tomorrow...

Thank you! Thank you!

We'll take all the well wishes we can get!

Omg! Despite all the problems (what kind of friends are those anyway?!) I'm so glad for you that it's finally happening, IG! :):)

• Author
Island Girl
Omg! Despite all the problems (what kind of friends are those anyway?!) I'm so glad for you that it's finally happening, IG! :):)

Yeah! Obviously not FRIENDS at least by my definition.

Thanks! I can hardly breath.

I hope you are doing well Elswyth. I have been thinking about you ever since you own situation came up. I keep looking for an update from you.

When you are ready I'm here for you!

Thank you again for taking a minute to respond.

I guess we just support each other and take what comes, right girlfriend? ;)

Island Girl, I will be thinking of you tomorrow, and sending some positive from this end of the south pacific.

All the best, am looking forward to hearing about a positive outcome!

• Author
Island Girl
Island Girl, I will be thinking of you tomorrow, and sending some positive from this end of the south pacific.

All the best, am looking forward to hearing about a positive outcome!

Thanks sb129!

With your best wishes coming this way and others (including mine) going the other way the embassy is caught in the crossfire. That has GOT to mean things will swing our way! ;)

Absolutely. Although the NZ government and the Fijian one aren't the greatest of pals at the moment so I am not giving my precise location.... :)

• Author
Island Girl
Absolutely. Although the NZ government and the Fijian one aren't the greatest of pals at the moment so I am not giving my precise location.... :)

Literally laughing out loud! thanks for that! :lmao:

As a side note I'd like to mention he is doing his interview at the US embassy which thankfully has nothing to do with the Fijian government!

curiousnycgirl

Just wanted to throw my support in with everyone else's - I'm keeping everything crossed for you! You've certainly fought long and hard for this - you both deserve it.

• Author
Island Girl
Wishing you all the best Island Girl!!! My thoughts are with you!!!:):):)

THANK YOU!!

7 hrs and 23 minutes until appointment time!!

Just wanted to throw my support in with everyone else's - I'm keeping everything crossed for you! You've certainly fought long and hard for this - you both deserve it.

Thank you so very much!

At least this is the very last step...hopefully!! :bunny:

OMG my fingers are crossed for you IG. If anyone deserves to have everything work out the way they want, it's you two. You've gone the long haul and made it this far... so close now.

The minute you hear what happens let us know, I am sure there will be more than just a couple of us on the edge of our seats!

Good luck Island Girl!

The day has finally come.

And it doesn't matter if he is wearing short sleeves. It's hot in there. And they must be used to seeing tattoos in the embassy, most people must have some.

Hope you get to be with him very soon! :love:

• Author
Island Girl
Good luck Island Girl!

THANKS!!

The day has finally come.

I know! I haven't been able to sleep!!

And it doesn't matter if he is wearing short sleeves. It's hot in there. And they must be used to seeing tattoos in the embassy, most people must have some.

I hope they are like minded! I honestly don't know how they'll perceive those things. It makes me nervous...we'll see!!

Hope you get to be with him very soon! :love:

I hope so too!!

He has been anxious and we have had a difficult time with conversation. Both of us are stressed and I tend to be on edge as it is.

But so far we get everything in perspective within a few minutes.

6 hrs, 32 minutes, and counting...

6 hrs, 32 minutes, and counting...

Calm down a little.

What will happen has already been written somewhere and nothing is going to change it.

So relax.

Here Island Girl,

I found the words of Ramana Maharshi, one of the great sages of India:

"In accordance with the prarabdha of each, the One whose function it is to ordain makes each to act. What will not happen will never happen, whatever effort one may put forth. And what will happen will not fail to happen, however much one may seek to prevent it. This is certain. The part of wisdom therefore is to stay quiet."

Hope it helps.

Yeah! Obviously not FRIENDS at least by my definition.

Thanks! I can hardly breath.

I hope you are doing well Elswyth. I have been thinking about you ever since you own situation came up. I keep looking for an update from you.

When you are ready I'm here for you!

Thank you again for taking a minute to respond.

I guess we just support each other and take what comes, right girlfriend? ;)

Of course!! :bunny:

Yeah, I've been really busy these few days -- good thing is that it forces me to not think about anything too much. Bad thing is I'm usually so exhausted I can't think straight and I get so little time with the bf... and he even had to adjust his sleeping schedule a little to allow for that! :p

His interview should be over by now I suppose? Did he say how it went?

Edit: Oh, just realized I got the times jumbled up. See, told you I can barely think straight! :(

• Author
Island Girl
Yeah, I've been really busy these few days -- good thing is that it forces me to not think about anything too much. Bad thing is I'm usually so exhausted I can't think straight and I get so little time with the bf... and he even had to adjust his sleeping schedule a little to allow for that! :p

Well what ever gets you through these days is what it takes. Just day by day sweetie!!

His interview should be over by now I suppose? Did he say how it went?

Edit: Oh, just realized I got the times jumbled up. See, told you I can barely think straight! :(

LOL

yes -- his interview is 12:30pm PST.

At least that is his appointment time. Sometimes they make the interviewees wait hours before the actual interview...so I'll be on pins and needles until I get the call that it is over with. :eek:

Rollercoasterr

Oh my gosh I'm so excited for you. And nervous. I really hope things go well. I really really do. I know my process isn't going to be as difficult as yours since the U.S and Canada are pretty much BFFs(lol!) but still...it scares the living crap out of me to even think about starting our process. I'm just really hoping for a speedy decision from these people for you and your husband! It's about time you got some happiness! :love:

• Author
Island Girl
Oh my gosh I'm so excited for you. And nervous. I really hope things go well. I really really do. I know my process isn't going to be as difficult as yours since the U.S and Canada are pretty much BFFs(lol!) but still...it scares the living crap out of me to even think about starting our process. I'm just really hoping for a speedy decision from these people for you and your husband! It's about time you got some happiness! :love:

I hope for a speedy decision too Thanks Rollercoasterr!

Yeah I think you will have a bit of an easier time with Canada/US relations. This is from what I have read dealing with us of course.

I still would advise having an attorney assist just because it is such a serious thing and laws/regulations change.

And trust me it won't be as long because you won't be dealing with riots in Canada or a coup in the country you are filing in, etc. Things like these took up 9 months of this horribly long time!

We're at 3 hours and 45 minutes guys! :eek:__:)__:D

• Author
Island Girl
My fingers are crossed for you two Island Girl. Good luck! :bunny:

THANK YOU TBF!!!

All the chime ins are much appreciated! :bunny:

My stomach is in knots but at the same time I am SOOOO excited!! Does that make any sense at all?!!! :o