I did wrong but I miss her

My gf of 8 months have been split for almost 2 months. I'm 21, she's 20. Early on, things were great, we talked often. Despite that she was a little flirty, she was loyal and honest for me. She even brought me a gift for my bday. After 7 months into our relationship, I started seeing another girl behind her back. I didn't know what I was thinking and I wanted to explore other options. Sometimes I didn't think my gf was that into me. Weeks after the guilt was killing me, on the last week of school (also exam week), I confessed. My gf seemed angry and didn't respond to my messages for another 2 wks. My gf later broke up with me, saying that she was hurt and thought for now we were best off as friends. I've tried contacting her a few times, seeing if she was still angry with me and the responses have been brief and to the point mostly. She hasn't made much attempt to contact me. She said that she was still angry/hurt and needed time. To make matters worse, her dad is in the army and will be leaving for overseas very soon (for what could possibly be a year) which adds to things. Please, I'm really suffering. I want her in my life so much, even if I do have to settle for being just her friend, although I'm worried that she may find another guy.

Just remember this: it's always a badass that makes a girl's heart beat faster.

Date a chick she knows, get her jealous, act like you don't care, be nice to her, don't call her and she'll be back like magic.