Jealousy but not in the way you think

My girlfriend and i have dated for 8 months and it is fantastic and me and her could not be happier.

She has a best friend who is male. They are platonic, and he means a lot to her. He was there through tough times and they are very close. Everyone describes it as brother sister. So they're very close and i want her to have friends like that because it is good. The catch is, he is jealous of the attention she gives to me. He hates that i took her from him, even though they still hang out. He made her take all the love things out of her AIM profile becuase it hurt him. He leaves away messages that affect her a lot like, "you're everything that I don't want to be". And it makes her so upset. She is fed up with it, and it's really wearing deeply on us. He makes everything so confused, but yet, he doesn't want her as a girlfriend or anything. He just can't stand when someone else has her.

Does anyone know what to make of this situation? We're having trouble and I really want to make this work. Thanks

Mistaken Identity

Has this been going on the entire eight months that you've been dating, or is it recent? Is there a reason for the sudden jealousy? Frankly, he sounds selfish. He should want his friend to be happy. But, instead, he's worried about losing her friendship. Which, ironically, may happen due to his behavior!

I'm assuming he's in his twenties or younger? Is he gay?