Is it true that people mirror the behavior/language of people they like?

Hello,

some of my friends have always told that people mirror the behavior of people they like and I don't really know what to think of it.

Currently I am talking to a girl and she does indeed mirror some of the things I do. And I caught myself mirroring her language/behavior.

---Not Important---

For example: When we met she said that she nevers uses the f-word. Whereas I do *a lot*. After sometime of talking she started using it as much as I do.

Or: When I use the word dude, then she uses it. When I don't, then she doesn't too.

Or: I myself kinda mirror her behavior. She would always finish work right when it comes up. Before I never did that. Now I do too.

---Not Important---

Is it something we/everyone do unconsciously?

Edited by Tom1233

Language is something I think we all commonly mirror whoever we're in a conversation with, regardless of our relationship or connection to them.

Habits are probably more indicative of mirroring for romantic purposes, but still can just be the influence of people we spend time with for any purpose.

I think mirroring usually has more to do with body language, how we sit, stand, position our legs, arms, etc. and is very indicative of romantic interest.

• Like 1

Change the word 'like' to the word 'respect' and you've hit the nail on the head.

I pick up the language of those around me no matter whether it's romantic or not.

• Like 1

People mirror they like in general, not necessarily for romantic reasons. When it comes to coworkers, it's part of bonding. I bond/mirror with guys I work with that in any other circumstances wouldn't even bother to interact with. So you can't base mirroring as romantic interest unless you were both sitting in a cocktail lounge, already having a few.

Yes. For example, I have had multiple friends and even an ex over time, start texting like I do (emoji choices, lack of grammar, multiple short texts rather than one big response, certain words, etc.) and likewise I have done the same with some things. Someone I like recently says the word "though" a lot and now I find myself saying that so much too. Happens!

I think it's how we humans are....it's an expression/action we do subconsciously to be a part of the group/bonding. No different than how a village, state or country will have their own slang, expressions, accent and customs that develop over time as a group.