BF suddenly jealous of me & my best guy friend

Hello everyone,

I (21) have been in a relationship with my bf(22) for about a year now. We are very much in love and are complete soul mates, but recently we’ve been discussing a lot of things like our pet peeves, likes and dislikes, and what we both expect in our relationship. Last week my bf started asking me lots of probing questions about a certain guy friend of mine (Mark) that I’m still friends with since high school. I was surprised because my facebook friend list is private and I’ve never told him anything about my friend.

I think he got into my phone and accessed my FB app  because he somehow knows quite a bit about him. Even though I assured him that I see Mark only as a platonic friend he’s been acting really weird and from his actions and body language I don’t think he is trusting me. I have to admit that I haven’t told him any details yet even though he’s been pressing me for more info, but I don’t feel comfortable telling him everything so soon. We are in love but I don’t think either of us expects to be so close so fast. His odd behavior hasn’t been helping the situation because he’s now randomly calling me and asking me where I am and what I’m doing, obviously keeping tabs on me. He even got a bit mad when I had my guy friend over the other day to study with me along with other friends. I told him the truth - that I was hanging out with friends, which I was, and I would never lie to him. I’m pretty mad about him possibly violating my privacy by getting into my phone, so I switched to a fingerprint password. But since I have no proof of his snooping I’m not going to say anything about it.

My history with Mark is basically that we met when I was a sophomore and became really good friends. We were both new to that school, so we had few other friends and we got pretty close. We even dated briefly but quickly realized that we were not interested in each other in that way, but we remained good friends. When college came around we decided to attend different schools but they were close enough that we stayed in touch and occasionally went out together for drinks or coffee. I know him really well and he’s currently kind of in a relationship with another girl and I was genuinely happy for him. That was last year but we still kept in contact through the summer. I met my current BF about a year ago and when I told him he was also happy for me because this is my first real relationship.

I know for a fact that Mark and I are platonic friends because we’ve discussed this issue many times and it was definitely flirting before I met my BF. But I’ve noticed that since I’ve been with my BF I have toned down on the flirting and am now acting a lot more friendly towards him.

What do you think I should do? I really don’t want to get confrontational with him because I’m seeing him tomorrow night! :(

I (21) have been in a relationship with my bf(22) for about a year now. <snip> a certain guy friend of mine (Mark) that I’m still friends with since high school. <snip> I’ve never told him anything about my friend.

<snip> I don’t think he is trusting me. I have to admit that I haven’t told him any details yet even though he’s been pressing me for more info, but

I don’t feel comfortable telling him everything so soon. We are in love but I don’t think either of us expects to be so close so fast. His odd behavior

Actually, it is YOUR behaviour that is odd - and your mindset.

You've been withholding the information about your platonic friend (Mark) for 'about a year now' -- why? A year is not 'so soon' or 'so fast' to tell your b/f about any platonic friendship that is important to you and that you value. Why the need to hide it or keep it a secret at all? On top of that, you refused to just be open and honest even after your b/f asked about it directly.

What part of how you have been acting is supposed to help your b/f to feel comfortable enough to trust you?

While you are 'filling in the blanks' that your b/f has, about Mark, ask you b/f to fill in the blanks that you have, about how your b/f came to know about Mark in the first place.

Edited by Ronni_W
spelling
  • Like 7
todreaminblue
Hello everyone,

I (21) have been in a relationship with my bf(22) for about a year now. We are very much in love and are complete soul mates, but recently we’ve been discussing a lot of things like our pet peeves, likes and dislikes, and what we both expect in our relationship. Last week my bf started asking me lots of probing questions about a certain guy friend of mine (Mark) that I’m still friends with since high school. I was surprised because my facebook friend list is private and I’ve never told him anything about my friend.

I think he got into my phone and accessed my FB app  because he somehow knows quite a bit about him. Even though I assured him that I see Mark only as a platonic friend he’s been acting really weird and from his actions and body language I don’t think he is trusting me. I have to admit that I haven’t told him any details yet even though he’s been pressing me for more info, but I don’t feel comfortable telling him everything so soon. We are in love but I don’t think either of us expects to be so close so fast. His odd behavior hasn’t been helping the situation because he’s now randomly calling me and asking me where I am and what I’m doing, obviously keeping tabs on me. He even got a bit mad when I had my guy friend over the other day to study with me along with other friends. I told him the truth - that I was hanging out with friends, which I was, and I would never lie to him. I’m pretty mad about him possibly violating my privacy by getting into my phone, so I switched to a fingerprint password. But since I have no proof of his snooping I’m not going to say anything about it.

My history with Mark is basically that we met when I was a sophomore and became really good friends. We were both new to that school, so we had few other friends and we got pretty close. We even dated briefly but quickly realized that we were not interested in each other in that way, but we remained good friends. When college came around we decided to attend different schools but they were close enough that we stayed in touch and occasionally went out together for drinks or coffee. I know him really well and he’s currently kind of in a relationship with another girl and I was genuinely happy for him. That was last year but we still kept in contact through the summer. I met my current BF about a year ago and when I told him he was also happy for me because this is my first real relationship.

I know for a fact that Mark and I are platonic friends because we’ve discussed this issue many times and it was definitely flirting before I met my BF. But I’ve noticed that since I’ve been with my BF I have toned down on the flirting and am now acting a lot more friendly towards him.

What do you think I should do? I really don’t want to get confrontational with him because I’m seeing him tomorrow night! :(

I (21) have been in a relationship with my bf(22) for about a year now. We are very much in love and are complete soul mates,

a year is a long time to still have your face book friends list private mine is private but...if i had a boyfriend he would have access to my friends list.... and for your boyfriend to not understand or know the relationships you have with male friends.is actually concerning ...so i understand his concern...complete soul mates to me is no secrets

I was surprised because my facebook friend list is private and I’ve never told him anything about my friend.

after a year...do you know his friends is his face book friends list private.....

What do you think I should do? I really don’t want to get confrontational with him because I’m seeing him tomorrow night!

i think you should introduce him to your male friend and explain to him fully before you do no holding back the past relationship you had with this male friend and the relationship ......make it crystal to him....show him your friends list.....and introduce him to the people who mean something to you

ask him how he knew about this friend of yours.....ask him to be as honest as you are being with him......if he admits to snooping tell him you felt a little uncomfortable with that but from now on you will be open and honest with him so he never has to feel he has to snoop to really know who you are and who your friends are......

being soul mates or really serious and close to a guy means letting them in all aspects of your life good and bad.....friends and family.......ti means no deceit or omission no lies....and up front honesty...if he then tells you he isnt comfortable with you seeing this guy friend alone...i think you should also make that necessary choice of who is more important to you.....and maybe consider letting your bf have that coffee or milkshake with you and your male friend when you do catch up. ...thats my honest advice to you.....deb

• Like 2
Hello everyone,

Be happy your boyfriend does not dump you.

Soulmate my arse. You open yourself up to someone you consider a "soulmate"...that is why the term itself is bullschnitt.

When you say "I know for a fact Mark and I are platonic friends"...do you realize how that sounds to us?

Imagine how that would sound to your Boyfriend if you said that to his face?

Look, you admit to us you dated the guy, and later you toned down flirting but you keep your friends list private from your "soulmate". Also by your own admission you are withholding details.

That withholding of details is called Lying by Omission.

If he did go into your phone he had a gut feeling by how you were acting. and by your post if you have been together a year and this started all of a sudden you need to rethink your own behavior, because your story and his actions concerning it do not make sense to him.

It makes perfect sense to me because people like you come here all the time and it usually ends up with the same result.

You'll soon be released to your destiny. He no longer trusts you. If you can be secretive about what on the surface would seem something fairly innocuous had it been covered early on in the relationship, will only have him wondering what else has he yet to discover about you.

You probably had plenty of chance over the past year to be honest with your bf, but that ship sailed. Anything you try to plead in your own defense will be looked upon with skepticism, most likely because your bf has had to discover these things by himself.

• Like 9

I'm sorry OP, but I have to agree with the others: it's you who's acting shifty.

You call this friend "my best guy friend" and yet you've never told your supposed soulmate anything about him. Why?

Were you honest in telling your boyfriend that while you are platonic now, you have in fact dated before?

I can see why you are wondering where your boyfriend got this information from, but honestly, it doesn't look good for you. Perhaps another friend mentioned this Mark and he started asking questions, realizing he didn't even know this person existed. Even if you and this Mark are just friends now, surely you can understand why your boyfriend is suspicious. You have concealed this for some reason, and he's not wrong to wonder why.

Edited by ExpatInItaly
  • Like 2
Be happy your boyfriend does not dump you.

Soulmate my arse. You open yourself up to someone you consider a "soulmate"...that is why the term itself is bullschnitt.

When you say "I know for a fact Mark and I are platonic friends"...do you realize how that sounds to us?

Imagine how that would sound to your Boyfriend if you said that to his face?

Look, you admit to us you dated the guy, and later you toned down flirting but you keep your friends list private from your "soulmate". Also by your own admission you are withholding details.

That withholding of details is called Lying by Omission.

If he did go into your phone he had a gut feeling by how you were acting. and by your post if you have been together a year and this started all of a sudden you need to rethink your own behavior, because your story and his actions concerning it do not make sense to him.

It makes perfect sense to me because people like you come here all the time and it usually ends up with the same result.

You'll soon be released to your destiny. He no longer trusts you. If you can be secretive about what on the surface would seem something fairly innocuous had it been covered early on in the relationship, will only have him wondering what else has he yet to discover about you.

You probably had plenty of chance over the past year to be honest with your bf, but that ship sailed. Anything you try to plead in your own defense will be looked upon with skepticism, most likely because your bf has had to discover these things by himself.

I agree with this too.

Something made him suspicious about you, OP. Can you identify what it was?

• Like 2
  • Author

Thank you for your replies. It really helps me to see things from another perspective.

I guess everyone is right that by now I should have told him at least something about Mark. This is probably why he feels threatened by him, although there is absolutely no reason for that. We are just platonic friends and even tho we briefly “dated” the farthest we ever got was some intense foreplay (touching, a little oral, etc), but we never had sex, and that was way back during the summer after I graduated from high school (2.5 yrs ago). We are just good friends now and neither of us has any desire to go any further than that. Mark knows this and I know this.

The reason I’ve never talked about Mark was basically because he never asked. We’ve only discussed our past relationships briefly and he was sort of dodgy about it and so was I. I think the issue made both of us uncomfortable so we didn’t get into too many details. And at this point I’m not sure I should tell my bf anymore about Mark if he doesn’t ask because I wouldn’t feel comfortable telling him intimate details yet even though I love my bf. I don’t think telling him about us would give him any peace. In fact, I think he’d just become even more suspicious.

As far as how he found out about Mark and I, well, I’m really not sure. I have no proof he got into my phone, but I noticed he started questioning me right around the time I left my phone at his place one night, which is why I changed my p/w. But I haven’t told him of my suspicions yet. I trust my bf and I would never snoop in his phone or email, and I expect the same from him and he knows this because I made this very clear.

The reason I’ve never talked about Mark was basically because he never asked. We’ve only discussed our past relationships briefly and he was sort of dodgy about it and so was I. I think the issue made both of us uncomfortable so we didn’t get into too many details. And at this point I’m not sure I should tell my bf anymore about Mark if he doesn’t ask because I wouldn’t feel comfortable telling him intimate details yet even though I love my bf. I don’t think telling him about us would give him any peace. In fact, I think he’d just become even more suspicious.

All of this is all just justifying, rationalizing and making excuses for why YOU should not be honest, direct, open and straight-forward with your self-assessed

'complete Soul Mate'.

You're also making a lot of guesses and assumptions about how he might or might not feel about, or react to, or deal with, hearing the truth - that he does have the

right to know; it's presumptive and it takes away his right to think, feel, speak and choose for himself, and, thus, it's ultimately manipulative, controlling and disrespectful.

Being able to initiate and/or fully participate in difficult conversations - and remain calm and kind - is a hallmark of adulthood and emotional/psychological maturity, and,

along with effective problem-solving and conflict resolution, is part of a necessary suite of communications skills needed for positive and healthy adult relationships of all types (not just romantic).

If having real conversations and discussions about issues and difficult matters makes you or your current boyfriend 'uncomfortable' - then there really isn't all that much hope for creating and sustaining a long-term happy, fulfilling, mutually-rewarding and fully supportive relationship.

Keep things secret and in the dark, and enjoy the relationship while you can - for however long you two manage to maintain the façade and put up with all the secrets and

lies of omission.

Edited by Ronni_W
clarification
  • Like 6

I don't think anyone has suggested that you should have told your bf "at least something" about Mark. You should have been open and honest about your friendships from the beginning.

Your boyfriend should be your best friend. Not some other dude who you used to fool around with.

• Like 6

So funny enough I actually just made a post about a similar situation from the opposite side of this. Maybe I can help give some perspective to how he might feel.

Like others have said leaving out certain details is lying by omission. When you told him you were studying with friends, did you leave out the detail where one of them happened to be Mark? Yes that is lying. Maybe you honest to god didn't think anything of it, but really ask yourself if you have purposely left out details in fear he would be upset. If that answer is yes there's a problem.

He might get the impression that your friendship with Mark is more important than your honesty with him. Which would be true.

I understand that you believe nothing will ever happen again between you and Mark and that your bf should trust you, but why would someone who was so trustworthy put themselves in a situation where something is more likely to happen? I could grab my gun, check the chamber, take it apart and put it back together while leaving the clip out knowing with 100% certainty there is no bullet in there. That doesn't mean I'm going to put it to my body and pull the trigger out of trust.

• Like 1

OP if you are still reading this I can tell you right now you are playing with fire big time!

I was in your boyfriend's shoes just a few weeks ago I posted all over this forum about it. What happened in the end? I DUMPED HER

At the end of the day her actions were shifty one minute they are old friend's then she admitted they got close at one stage then it was just friends again. She could never be 100% with me her excuse was "Out of fear of hurting me".

But omg your actions are way worse why in the hell would you change your password on your phone? To your boyfriend that screams "I HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE". Even after telling my ex I went through all her messages she still let me have complete access to her phone to prove she was hiding nothing. And I always let her have access to my phone because there was nothing secretive about it.

• Like 2

Mark may be a friend now, but he is not "Just a friend" he is also an Ex of yours (For some of us, me for example, oral and touching is equal to full sex).

Your biggest problem is that you feel you must be considered as perfect and great, and you don't really want to understand your mistakes. It can easily be noticed by the way you describe it. In the same reply you testify that you didn't tell your Bf the truth about Mark because:

1. He didn't ask.

2. He was dodgy about his past relationships, so you did the same.

3. You aren't telling him now because you feel it will make him insecure, he wiil freak out and would not give him any peace.

You better decide which version you choose and stick to it, instead of spreading different reasons that don't match to eachother like someone is blaming you in court.

If you ask me, i don't believe any of your reasons. I believe that you didn't tell him, because if you did, you should have tone down your friendship with Mark. In your eyes, Honesty is not an important value in a relationship, so why should you sacrifice anything because an insignificant "stupid thing" like honesty.

Well, go a head and continue with this, and please come back in few years, tell us how well did it go for you...

I can tell you only that - If immediately after I told my Gf about my suspicions about an other guy, she would have put a password in her phone as a reaction to my suspicions, I wouldn't be angry at all, I would her dumped her in a second.

Edited by lolablue17
  • Like 1

Guys see "platonic" as something totally different from you. Mark may be a "friend" but guys know he still would want to bang you. Yes it's true. If you are anywhere near attractive, he still would like to have sex with you. And this is why your BF is questioning why you would still hang out with someone that at one time, and probably still does has an attraction to you.

To note, since this is your first real relaitonship, when in love, people become possessive and jealous very easily....this is the stage your BF is at. It's perfectly normal, we all have gone though it. The thought of someone you are in love with, being with others really makes us go crazy and do crazy things like snooping yer private $%^&.

The only thing you can do is have a discussion of everything that has transpired, past details of your relationship with Mark, and come to an agreement/compromise, and set boundaries that are fair for the both of you, when it comes to opposite sex friendships and on privacy/snooping. That would be the mature thing to do...so this would be your first lesson on relationships...clear honest communication with your partner.

• Like 5

If you and Mark have been meeting for drinks and coffee, could one of your BF friends have seen the two of you together. It wouldn't be to hard to find out Mark's name and for them to have told your BF. This would account of his actions as well.

"Hey man, I saw you girl out with another guy having drinks"

What would you think if one of your girlfriends said that your bf was out drinking with a beautiful girl?

• Author

Thanks for your honest opinions, but I think I need to make something more clear. I really love my bf :love: and would not do anything to hurt him. I met my bf about a year ago and we have an amazing connection. :) We spend 4-5 days out of the week together. I know that my bf also has female friends that he talks with and I haven’t felt jealous of any of them yet. I’ve even met a couple of his female friends at one of our hangouts but I wasn’t jealous at all because both of them are also in a relationship.

I met my best guy friend during my junior year and he is currently in an on/off relationship with someone. I’m not sure what their relationship is however, because I’ve never asked and I never met her. I think it’s a fwb relationship, but I’m not sure. I only dated Mark for one summer and no actual intercourse ever occurred. We both eventually realized that we didn’t want that kind of relationship, so we reverted to being friends and promised never to tell anyone about us. And this is part of the reason I wouldn’t feel comfortable telling my bf about our past.

Since my guy friend lives close to me and we have the same major, we spend around 2-3 days a week studying together or having coffee before class. We text but not nearly as much as I do with my bf.

But I can assure everyone that there is nothing but friendship now between Mark and I. My feelings for him are quite different than the feelings I have for my bf. I can feel it. I feel more like a sister with my guy friend, but like an actual woman when I’m with my bf.

I was just hoping that we could trust each other and not be snooping and spying on each other. I know it might look suspicious changing my p/w but I value my privacy and I respect my bf’s privacy as well. I was hoping that we could just understand that both of us might have some baggage from previous relationships, but that was in the past and should have no bearing on what we have with each other.

Thanks for your honest opinions, but I think I need to make something more clear. I really love my bf :love: and would not do anything to hurt him. I met my bf about a year ago and we have an amazing connection. :) We spend 4-5 days out of the week together. I know that my bf also has female friends that he talks with and I haven’t felt jealous of any of them yet. I’ve even met a couple of his female friends at one of our hangouts but I wasn’t jealous at all because both of them are also in a relationship.

I met my best guy friend during my junior year and he is currently in an on/off relationship with someone. I’m not sure what their relationship is however, because I’ve never asked and I never met her. I think it’s a fwb relationship, but I’m not sure. I only dated Mark for one summer and no actual intercourse ever occurred. We both eventually realized that we didn’t want that kind of relationship, so we reverted to being friends and promised never to tell anyone about us. And this is part of the reason I wouldn’t feel comfortable telling my bf about our past.

Since my guy friend lives close to me and we have the same major, we spend around 2-3 days a week studying together or having coffee before class. We text but not nearly as much as I do with my bf.

But I can assure everyone that there is nothing but friendship now between Mark and I. My feelings for him are quite different than the feelings I have for my bf. I can feel it. I feel more like a sister with my guy friend, but like an actual woman when I’m with my bf.

I was just hoping that we could trust each other and not be snooping and spying on each other. I know it might look suspicious changing my p/w but I value my privacy and I respect my bf’s privacy as well. I was hoping that we could just understand that both of us might have some baggage from previous relationships, but that was in the past and should have no bearing on what we have with each other.

I advice you to talk with you Bf and tell him EVERYTHING you mentioned here in your last comment. It's pretty convincing to me, and it's 100% honest. If you're 100% honest with your Bf, he will sense it, and will calm down with his insecurities.

You caused this situation by not being honest, and even though you do not want to expose your past, I think only being 100% honest and transparent will fix it. Good luck.

• Like 1

You are not getting it....you don't need to convince us of anything nor are we questioning your feelings for your BF, We are advising you from your BF's perspective and how he feels about it.

Your shady behavior: You never revealed details about Mark and purposely don't mention him being in your group for reason...because you know he would be upset about it if he knew all the past details and probably would make sure you completely limit or cut off things with Mark. To add, oral and heavy petting is still sex whether his penis made it into you or not. It's still sharing a sexual experience together that can lead to orgasm.

Anyways, The moral of the story is, respecting your partners feelings, making compromises, or even sacrifices when in a relationship.

So if you think your BF is being unfair or out of line, then this will be the demises of your relationship. I know what you are doing....you hiding details, and keeping things on the down low hoping your BF will just get over it, so you can carry on like nothing happened. Well sista that ain't gonna happen. Your BF is not going to let this go, and the longer you avoid it, the more likely your BF is going to dump you over it. You can see how the guys on here have reacted...your BF won't be much different.

Edited by smackie9
  • Like 5

My advice is that you've complicated things too much and are WAY to vested in excusing your interactions with Mark. Heck, you promised Mark to never telling anyone about your relationship? Seriously? That doesn't fly to a new partner.

Mark isn't your BF (anymore) and you can't have the Mark cake and the current BF cake and eat them both.

Your ommisions have now complicated things so completely that you need to level with your current BF and kick Mark out of the picture by RAPIDLY limiting your time with Mark and sidelining him (my saying: you don't tie two dogs to the same tree). You don't know it, but the reactor has already melted down with Mark and the only way to stop it and save your relationship is to seal Mark away.

Its either this, find yourself single, or let your BF go.

• Like 2

You lied by omission, OP.

Seeing how often you study and have coffee with this Mark, your boyfriend has a right to question your trustworthiness given that you failed to mention this friendship at all.

We don't care how much you claim to love your boyfriend. He does. And your actions tell a very different story than your words. That's why you're in hot water now.

You can spin it however you like on this forum. Your boyfriend clearly isn't buying it.

• Like 2

Let me do some role play here. I'll be you bf... (heh heh). I have this gf, I really love her. But, I see this other girl Trudy maybe 3 -4 time a week. Sometimes we study together. Sometimes we go out for a cup of coffee... sometimes dinner. Anyway, Trudy used to be my gf back in the day. We never had intercourse, but we made out, kissed, and did oral (what does that mean...) on each other. I have never told my present gf about Trudy because it would just be too complicated. So now my present gf somehow found out about Trudy and is jealous, and asking all sorts of questions about my past that both me and my old gf would rather not answer. She doesn't trust me, and I think it is so unfair. How could my now gf be so jealous over my then gf Trudy? We only still regularly see each other, and though we have had oral (I will refuse to call it sex), we both know that it is in the past. Why can't my now gf just trust me and Trudy?

Yeah, right. Also, though you mention your bf is seeing other girls platonically and how you aren't jealous about it, were any of these girls he sees ones he has had sex with in the past? If I were your boyfriend for real, I would begin to pull away and eventually break up with you, as opposed to making myself crazy because of your secretive past with Mark... Also, I couldn't help but notice that although you have mentioned Mark by name many times, your BF is just 'bf'. Have you even thought to mention him(bf) by name even once (if you did it is lost in the noise of your rationalizations)? Nope, just Mark... I think Mark is your real boyfriend, not the guy you claim is you 'bf'.