Future friends with benefits

I am 26 year old currently in a long distance relationship for the last one year. My boyfriend and I have been through a lot through his cheating habits in our 5 years of being together. He says he has stopped cheating and wants to get married since last year. I would like to believe that because I have no incidents to hold against him since the last one year. But I can never tell. Maybe he got better at his game.

Anyway I met this guy last week. It seems like I know him forever. We went the following day with a group of friends. He dropped me home and we made out. He seems persistent. Yesterday we all went out again and he told me he just wants to have fun. No commitments whatsoever and he is open to being friends with benefits with me. Which is what I want too. But he says that there is a good chance that I will get too attached and catch feelings because I have had only one partner so far. I have never done this before. So I don't know how this will turn out. We agreed to go to the STI clinic tomorrow.

Just want to know what your opinion is. How did friends with benefits turn out for yall?

All of my FWB scenarios worked out great for us both, and in all cases we've even remained friends when the "benefits" ended for whatever reason.

This is not always the way it works out - and you can find many threads here about FWB gone wrong, particularly when one person ends up wanting more than the other.

I wouldn't expect too much from this arrangement, and you will want to set some ground rules, especially about seeing other people. Normally, there are no restrictions on dating others, as one or both of you may also be seeking a relationship other than FWB.

I would also question your ability to know that this is what you want, as it sounds like you have little or no relationship experience. You are more likely to be the one who gets hurt, here. IF you can think of this as dating someone where it's unlikely to work out, and you're doing it just for the pleasure and experience it provides in the short term, then you may be okay. Otherwise, I'd recommend you do more traditional dating and get that kind of experience first - it will probably lead to disappointment too, as few people end up with their first love interest.

• Author

I said this is what I want because I never tried it out before. I sense a strong chemistry with this guy and I do not think he is relationship material. But like I said i never had this arrangement before. So it could go wrong too.

This isn't FWB this is an affair. Affairs are destructive. You are upset about your BF's cheating but here you are doing the same thing.

This isn't FWB this is an affair. Affairs are destructive. You are upset about your BF's cheating but here you are doing the same thing.

This.

What the heck, OP?

You are not ready to get married, and your relationship is clearly not working. Why are you not breaking up with your SO?

mystikmind2005
This.

What the heck, OP?

You are not ready to get married, and your relationship is clearly not working. Why are you not breaking up with your SO?

the answer is that she is not ready to break up - the jury is still out if it can work out or not.

Meanwhile the bf broke the lock on the cheating door so to speak. A door with a broken lock can be opened by anyone, not just the person who broke it.