Why do people stay with a cheater?

I only went back a few pages, I'm sure this is a frequently asked question.

By why do people, married or other stay with someone who cheats?

Other than for kids and money, let's knock out those two reasons.

Grumpybutfun

Many unhealthy people accept the treatment they think they deserve. Then they justify their acceptance by convincing themselves they can't emotionally or financially stand on their own.

G

There's two main reasons:

either

1) the person genuinely has strong feelings for the cheater

2) the person is afraid of change, afraid of the feeling of "throwing away" all the investment they had put into their partner over time

why do people, married or other stay with someone who cheats?

One aspect which can be exclusive of money is social power and popularity. A charismatic cheater who is popular in a wide social circle can imbue a lifestyle and social interaction which is attractive and desirable to a spouse, especially if that spouse has a substantial investment in the lifestyle the social status has provided. Interests, friends, social functions, etc, etc.

Because one transgression, does not define a person.

Forgiveness is a wonderful thing.

• Like 2
what_a_blonde

LOVE.

Yea, I know that sounds cheesy. However when you get married, you're committing to that person.

If it was a one-time screw up, and there was a lot of other stuff going on in the relationship where you might say "ok, it wasn't right that they cheated, but I also contributed, we need to work on this", and they are willing to work on it and stay faithful from there on out.... I believe thats when you stay with them.

They have to be willing to be 100% transparent. If you're talking about a serial cheater... not cool. However I think everyone deserves forgiveness for something that is a true slip-up... and if you really love them and they want to work on it.. stick to it.

• Like 2