Emotional cheating vs. Physical cheating

Cheating itself hurts no matter what the circumstances. But there are two different types: emotional and physical. Emotional meaning you may have stronger feelings for another person and perhaps feel a deeper sense of connection, thus perhaps moving forward with your "deeper" connection but in no way "physically" doing anything with that person. Physical cheating is... well, need I explain that? :p

IMO physical hurts terribly, but paired with emotion can it be extremely lethal to a relationship. As for emotional betrayal in itself, I don't think it can exist long without the physical part, it's merely transitory...

What are your guys' opinions, what would hurt you more? Or what do you think is worse?

• Like 1

Love doesn't = sex, sex doesn't = love.

Both are a betrayal. it depends on the period of time it took to happen, the intensity and the influence it has on all those concerned...

it depends on the temperament and character of those involved - and it depends on the duration.

Too many factors to be able to give an assessment.

Emotional cheating is just as bad, except there is no touching, YET!

It still hurts, because the other person is saying sexual or emotional stuff to the other party. When somebody you are with does any of those things, you can never trust that person again, no matter how much they tell you that they are sorry. Just think how you're partner is saying to somebody else "I love you", or "I miss you", or "You're hot". That would really hurt. Physical is a bit worse though, because those actions are actually carried out.

Edited by Sporty Girl

Emotional cheating is worse. On some level you can deal with a interactive masturbation one night stand.

But if she stays, cuddles, and says "I love you's" and whispers sweet nothings? If its an ongoing thing? No way in hell is that even remotely forgivable.

• Like 5
  • Author

I've gotta agree with @monstermash, emotional cheating would just wreck me, knowing I can't satisfy those needs that actually MEAN something.

If forced to call it, I'd hate EC the most.

Mechanical poking I can sort of look past.

My beloved complimenting, pursuing, longing for and 'courting' someone else? Ugh. That's a much bigger betrayal, in my eyes.

• Like 2
MichiganMan222

To me physical would be more acutely painful, but emotional is a slow certain death. I was a victim of this. My ex talked to a guy for months behind my back. She only used me for sex. It was as if we switched roles where he was the boyfriend and I was the OM. She had a tough decision. Emotional needs or sexual needs. Emotional won out. She officially broke it off with me, but still wanted sex for a few weeks after until they apparently started, then it stopped for me. They ended up getting married.

Most women will say that an EA is worse. Most men will say a PA is worse. And whatever opinion you have is part of your belief system and will probably never change.