Sharing food - have you done it?

This is more for everyone and how they would deal/re-act with sharing food.

Do you see sharing food as flirting, friendly, disgusting even or just a normal act? I read that in some cultures and even maybe in Tapas bars with many small dishes people will share food and might want to try a new dish.

I met someone and I wasn't sure if she liked me - at times but also being naive/shy type (which I'm trying to work on and be more positive) I thought she may well just being nice.

We bought a kebab to share together. She would take one bite of it and I would take a bite, we ate it all and drank from the same can of soda as our drink.

This is very vague but I'd like to hear peoples views on whenever this is a good sign, or just a natural thing for people to do?

More so I'd like to hear peoples views on this. Would you feel comfortable sharing the same hot dog/burger/kebab like I did with someone you only met?

If I was planning to kiss him at some point and (so far) his personal hygiene seemed acceptable, then I'd probably not mind sharing food with him.

I'm used to sharing food with romantic partners only. However, some people are used to sharing food with friends and family. I don't think it's necessarily a sign of anything other than the other person feels close enough to you (romantic or otherwise) and finds your personal hygiene acceptable.

PrincessPeach

I'm comfortable sharing food with just about anyone. It really depends on the person whether it is some sort of indication of interest or not.

My friends have affectionately nicknamed me "The Human Garbage Bin" as I'm willing to eat just about anything and in unlimited quantities. Usually if someone can't finish their food they'll give it to me (I'm not actually fat though). However this is among people I know well. I wouldn't share food right away with someone I don't know, although a girl I met recently who I suspect may have the hots for me asked me to share her lunch with her (which I obliged).

Feelin Frisky

If by sharing food you mean, passing back and forth the same hamburger or w/e, I don't like the idea. It's not for any specific objective reason--I just recoil. But sharing dishes with a g/f is something different and it's definitely a cool way to share the whole dining experience. I don't like to eat big meals on dates and so, sharing is a way to get more out of less. Chinese food is especially good like that--one entree can often feed two and just a couple of appetizers shared makes for enough to eat that doesn't make me feel like a lion who has just eaten a gazelle and wants to do nothing but lay on the ground with paws up in the air.

In other words I'm better with tearing a piece of Juicy Fruit in halves than one of us chewing the one piece for a number of minutes each. I'll yield the entire stick, tyvm.

My bf and I share food all the time. I'm that person that wants to try anything so I'll always want a bite of his. I still as for a bite because we've only shared wings/ fries (we don't eat out often because we're both on strict diets so when we eat out, it's the worst for you)

Even though I'm the type to want to try anything, I was raised never to eat off someone's plate so I think I'm just that comfortable with my bf which I really like.

Do you want something romantic with this girl? Because if you don't act soon, she may just feel comfortable around you and see you as a close friend.

Would you feel comfortable sharing the same hot dog/burger/kebab like I did with someone you only met?

Probably not, but I wouldn't be actively thinking of it that way.

Retrospectively, I can only recall two women I regularly did this with and one was my exW and the other was the MW from my journals.

• Author

Nice to see such a detailed response with a variety of answers too.

Yes I really enjoyed this woman's company and spending time with her. I have no idea which way it will go as we are now living in different towns but I'll try my best.

We bought a kebab to share together. She would take one bite of it and I would take a bite, we ate it all and drank from the same can of soda as our drink...views on whenever this is a good sign, or just a natural thing for people to do?

I think that is an awesome sign.

Personally I hate sharing food.

I don't like it when I go to a restaurant and order Thai red curry or something that I love, and the person that is with me orders Pad Thai noodles or something I don't care at all and says...we are going to share.

Well, no, I want to enjoy the whole red curry all by myself that's why I ordered it.

I really get annoyed when people do that.

Just last week we went to a Vietnamese rest and I ordered a soup that has rice noodles, tofu, and a million other vegetables.

Then the person with me ordered egg rolls because he was not hungry, and asked for an extra plate to "share" my soup.

But if they insist I do share..

We bought a kebab to share together. She would take one bite of it and I would take a bite, we ate it all and drank from the same can of soda as our drink.

More so I'd like to hear peoples views on this. Would you feel comfortable sharing the same hot dog/burger/kebab like I did with someone you only met?

I'd share food with just about anyone, but not in the way you'd described. If a kebab, I'd remove what I planned to eat. If a hot dog/burger, I'd cut/tear it in half. I wouldn't take a bite, and then have the other person take a bite, and then have me take a bite, etc., nor would I drink out of the same can. I think it's kinda gross. And this is true of even my SO and I sharing.

Can I ask why you shared such a small amount of food? How did this happen?

I cannot share food with people. It's a thing I have, it grosses me out. If someone takes a bite out of something I am eating, I will throw it out or tell them to finish it. Same with anything I am drinking.

• Author

Can I ask why you shared such a small amount of food? How did this happen?

We were at a concert and I got a little hungry. I think she was the same, so we decided to buy something to share. It wasn't that it was expensive either, just maybe having 2 full ones each might have been too much.

As for sharing food with people in both eating the same meal e.g like I described. It would depend all on the person invovled. I know one guy who has poor dental hygene, I think he brushes his teeth if 'if he remembers' and smokes which would gross me out, but apart from people like that, I probably wouldn't mind taking a bite from someone's food (if they were of course, ok with this).

Although smokers really put me off.