"Falling out of love"

1Heart2Many

For life of me I can't get the logic behind a divorce, because one spouse "fell out of love". Isn't being in love part of the first stage of a relationship? Isn't marriage a commitment and not a feeling.

Trialbyfire

A marriage is an agreement entered into by two people who want to spend the rest of their lives together, forsaking all others. If one party breaks the agreement and cheats, the other party has the right to nullify the agreement, hence divorce.

LakesideDream

TBF, that's only half the story. You are ignoring the fact that cheaters are often the ones who iniate breakups. Hense the term "exit affair". Which sex more commonly announces "I love you, but I'm not in love with you anymore"?

You are an active member here at LS, you know the answer to that.

Divorce has become common over the last 50 years because there are no consequences. The word Divorce has no stigma. Being a single parent is applauded, and supported by society in general, and by tax dollars in particular.

The last wedding I attended had the following included in the vows. "Promise to love, and cherish until one of us decides not to". NO KIDDING! It was a big church wedding, with hundreds in attendance.

Mustang Sally

The last wedding I attended had the following included in the vows. "Promise to love, and cherish until one of us decides not to". NO KIDDING! It was a big church wedding, with hundreds in attendance.

Good Gravy! That's just f*cked up. I think I've officially heard it all now.

Trialbyfire

Lakeside, note...my response was not gender specific...

Every single adult is responsible for their own actions. To choose the passive-aggressive route of dissatisfaction through cheating, is beneath contempt. If that person chooses to fess up and make an honest relationship by divorcing the person they fall out of love with, I'm fine with that.

quankanne

The last wedding I attended had the following included in the vows. "Promise to love, and cherish until one of us decides not to."

that's pretty screwed up – why bother marrying if you're not going to make a good-faith effort going in? :eek: :eek: :eek:

For life of me I can't get the logic behind a divorce, because one spouse "fell out of love". Isn't being in love part of the first stage of a relationship? Isn't marriage a commitment and not a feeling.

unfortunately, we don't always act maturely or responsibly, and stick through the rough patches when it comes to love. And then there's always the belief that a married couple is supposed to be "in love" the whole time. That's a very misleading belief.

people don't think about how sometimes you're going to be absolutely sick of this person you wake up to every day, or that you don't want to spend all your time with them, simply because you're supposed to "be" in love with them 24/7/365 all the days of your life! Those marriages that do make it seem to have couples who understand the difference between love and "in love," and who know that it's perfectly okay to hit different stages in your life. That's where the commitment comes in, as OP points out.

the hardest part of being married is getting to the realization that you don't have to necessarily like your partner but still feel good about being married.

the hardest part of being married is getting to the realization that you don't have to necessarily like your partner but still feel good about being married.

I have to disagree......... why in the world would you want to spend your life with a person you have grown to dislike.

Not sure what you meant??

:confused: