dinner with a married coworker?

Is it ok for a married coworker to ask a single, attractive subordinate to dinner and drinks? Only to do business of course! Is this appropriate, does it cross the line, and what would happen if anyone with authority over both..were to find out about it? Need advice right away...Think I may have made a huge mistake...

Gee.. I'd have to say that if you can't tell your boss you're doing something, then you probably shouldn't do it.

Same goes for the wife at home... if you are thinking at any point "I hope my wife doesn't find out.." then don't do it.

What to do now? Pre-emptive strike. Tell the higher up's you 'spur of the moment' took your subordinant out to reward her for hard work. And that you are now going to take (some one else who deserves to be recognized) out for the same treatment.

Tell 'em you thought moral was dipping and you want to nip it in the bud, and tonight you're taking so and so (preferrably male) out too.

Then smack yourself really hard, and say "I will NEVER cover my lust with the excuse of company business again."

p.s. not to mention you potentially set yourself up for sexual harrasment suit. But if you show equal treatment to all then it probably wouldn't hold water.

Is guest the subordanant or the higher up?

I don't know I supose it depends on how you do business or how the Company does business.

I have been to lunch with clients mainly. Also busniess over coffee. My bosses have been known to do business dinners. again mainly with clients.

Also I have been treated to dinner by a boss for hard work. But it was me & three other people and he didn't come.

IMHO, the boss/subordinate thing is different from the "married coworker" issue.

Dinner and drinks = date in my book, absent some clear, legitimate, non-habitual business purpose.

You are still in time to change your mind, aren't you? :)

You tell the other person you have realized it could be/sound inappropriate, and you apologize in case you were the one who asked. :)

In my industry, business is done over dinner and drinks all the time.

If you're questioning the propriety of it, though, it sounds like there's something amiss and this isn't business as usual. Certainly don't do it again, and you may want to discuss this with your manager - tell him/her that you weren't sure of what the code of business conduct is at your office, and that you don't want to repeat it if this is a probelm in your company.