Parents disapprove of relationship..

This is my first time using this site, and I was hoping to get some advice. I have been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years now. He has always treated me with respect and we love each other. The problem is that my parents have always discouraged me from dating him for the simple fact that I am a Christian and he is agnostic. He graduated from college over a year ago, and I will graduate in May, so if things are going well for us I could see this ending up in marriage.

I would like advice from anyone who has parents who do not approve of their boyfriend or girlfriend, and from other Christians on their view of dating non-Christians. Do you feel that similar religious beliefs are vital to your relationship? That it is ALWAYS a bad idea to date/marry a non-Christian (for reasons like what your children will believe)? I can't help but hope that one day he could become a Christian too. Please do not be judgmental like my family has been...I really feel that sometimes you cannot help who you fall in love with.