dinner and a movie (or a movie and dinner??)

huxley

hey guys. ive finally met a wonderful woman at school, and we've been talking a lot (mostly online; i dont like phones too much...) over the last few months. we've built a lot of trust through our conversations (we've both told each other things about ourselves we havent told anyone else), and it seems like we have good compatibility.

however, seeing as how we're on break, we havent had many opportunities to actually see each other. so, i finally asked her out on a date. we ended up choosing to go see a movie (final destination 3) and have dinner.

now here's the dilemma. should we go to the movie first and have dinner afterwards, or eat dinner, then see the movie?

also, what do i wear/how do i act around her? by that i mean should i hug her and walk with her in my arms, or would that be too forward?

and lastly, ive been reading up on some dating tips and such, and most have warned against seeing a movie on the first date, particularly a horror movie, such as FD3. my point of view on the matter, though, is that if it's a scary movie, she'll cling to me for the duration of the film (she even said she would). any thoughts on that?

thanks a lot for hearing me out.

I know some might not agree but I like going to the movies on a first date. * gasp *

I would rather see the movie and then take the date further on into the evening if things were going well . Meaning you enjoy sitting next to eachother and laughing and feeling some chemistry.

The advantages are : You are in a public place , you've got warm buttered popcorn and you are likely seeing a great movie. Sure you dont get to talk much but if later you decide you want to take the date further into the evening you can go with or nix it.

You see to me first dates are meant to be FUN.

I dont think serious issues should be discussed ( the 5 no no's not to discuss on dates - your ex, babies , marraige , your scientific american collection along with formaldehyde flasks and how many times you got dumped) but the date should be light and spontaneous ,lol

I would not want to go to dinner on a first date.

I have done that and if its not working out , you are squirming in your seat and pleading a headache . hehe..

My advice to the poster is : You can edge closer to her and see if she freezes. If she edges closer to you and smiles you are in Buddy !

Then you can try the hold her hand approach.

If she freezes then let go but if she likes you holding her hand , her fingers will relax around yours.

Then maybe later you can say : Are you cold ? Then thats when the trusty arm goes around her and you both snuggle. Trust me if a girl does not want to snuggle then she is going to look TRULY uncomfortable.

Go for it ! Let us know wht happens...

I'm not sure if I'll be much help, but being a female, I would rather see the movie first, and then have dinner. Seeing the movie first already gives a topic that you can talk about.

But since you said you've been talking for a few months, you already know some interests she has, so you can play off of those things. You can always bring up past topics that may be ongoing.

For me, friendly touching is fine...but nothing too overbearing for the first date (don't be all over her, let her have her own space). When it comes to the very end of the date, I think a nice hug and kiss on the cheek is good, and it shows that you are a gentleman. Unless she goes for more, I would think that would be fine.

I haven't been on a first date in years, so maybe things have changed :p ...anyway, have a great time!

don't choose a movie for the 1st or 2nd dates....the idea on the first two dates is to talk and get to know each other better and see if there is any attraction or compatibility. you can't talk when you're in a movie. save the movie for date #3, if there is one. :)

First Date:

Movie THEN food. (Make sure to stay away from hard R w/sex in them..as well as romantic type flicks) Pick a neutral movie. Bakers Square makes for a good first place to eat and have some coffee.

• Author

thanks to everyone who threw in their two cents for my question.

tonight concluded our first date, and it went wonderfully well. we maintained close physical contact all night long and she was as enthusiastic about the date as i was. we both agreed to continue seeing each other in the future as well.

thanks again for all of your advice and support!