Been around the block more times than you??

witabix

I hate that people hold your sexual past and relationship escapades against you. I suppose in many ways it's unavoidable, but I can't change what I did in the past (haha), and I honestly for the most part WOULDN'T change the past, and didn't you become interested in...I dunno, the me that is the result of all those past experiences?

I guess people have different tolerance levels. But I wish they would like make that clear from the get-go.

It's gotten to the point where I don't even mention my number any more, and I don't ask.

• Author

Not a very scientific poll I know. Slub....:D .

Thats basically how I understand the meaning of these words.

They were said to me, I undestood them as Lindya and Walk did. I do not hold past experiences against anyone blind_otter.

Then they were retracted, or should I say reinterpreted, as meaning "I have had more relationships than you, but not sexual ones".

Left me a little confused, she claims only one past sexual partner, I have no problem with numbers and do not hold to the "slut" mentality if the number is greater than x.

It seems to me a kind of smokescreen, but I am at a loss to understand why. Is it like Clinton? No sexual intercourse took place, so it was not sexual?

I just don't know.

One previous sexual partner and said individual has "been around the block" - what is that? who says that?

I thought that phrase was reserved for those, like me, who can ballpark the number of previous sexual partners, but has to amend the number with a "plus or minus 5 or so". Snort.

• Author
One previous sexual partner and said individual has "been around the block" - what is that? who says that?

I thought that phrase was reserved for those, like me, who can ballpark the number of previous sexual partners, but has to amend the number with a "plus or minus 5 or so". Snort.

I whole heartedly agree, my gf said that! I can't figure it out either!

If I was dating a girl who indicated she'd "been around the block" I'd stop dating her. Clearly she is carrying some issues related to it. Was this volunteered information? If so, I would've told her to keep it to herself. I give people the benefit of the doubt and do not assume that they have been up to unfortunate things unless the numbers/skeleton/body count starts to rear its head. Once you know certain things, you just can't look at her the same way anymore.

• Like 1
I whole heartedly agree, my gf said that! I can't figure it out either!

OK, so ask her what she meant by that. Get her to explain it to you.

PS sorry...side note here...My post number is 7,969!! LOL!

• Author
OK, so ask her what she meant by that. Get her to explain it to you.

PS sorry...side note here...My post number is 7,969!! LOL!

I did.

Her explanation was....

I meant I had dated more people than you have. I didn't mean I had slept with more people than you have.

I really couldn't care less how many people my partner has slept with.

There is more to this than I am explaining here, I asked her what the phrase "around the block" meant to her, I didn't really get an answer.

I know what I think it means and I was wondering what other people read into such a commonly used phrase.

[EDIT] Yes volunteered information.

I think this is a don't ask, don't tell situation. Erasing the whole conversation from your mind, including that phrase, is probably the best policy.

Maybe she's less worldy than you think and was trying to sound more so - until she realized that it made her sound like something she's not. Not everybody uses or understands figures of speech correctly.

[EDIT] Yes volunteered information.

sorry...Just thought it was fitting due to "been around the block afew times." No harm was meant by that eh.

If I was dating a girl who indicated she'd "been around the block" I'd stop dating her. Clearly she is carrying some issues related to it.

How is it clear she's carrying issues related to it?

Was this volunteered information? If so, I would've told her to keep it to herself.

Why would you want to pick and choose what to know about your supposed loved one, especially if it concerns something that makes her/him what she is today? "Keep it to yourself." Yeah, that would go over well! If you don't want to know about me, then why the hell am I with you is what I'd respond to that with.

I give people the benefit of the doubt and do not assume that they have been up to unfortunate things unless the numbers/skeleton/body count starts to rear its head. Once you know certain things, you just can't look at her the same way anymore.

Why does being around the block necessarily mean that they have "been up to unfortunate things"? Some people are so judgemental and have unrealistic expectations that it is actually best if you make yourself clear so the girl you're with doesn't waste time. As soon as she opens up, she'll get the boot and deserves to be with someone who accepts her for who she is and has an interest to know about her past if it is something she feels like sharing.

clandestinidad
"Keep it to yourself." Yeah, that would go over well! If you don't want to know about me, then why the hell am I with you is what I'd respond to that with

well, some types of people get reeeaaally upset knowing things about their partners past bedfellows....like how many youve had sex with (whether its 2 or 30), names, how long you dated, etc. Some people dont want to know ANYthing about other guys/girls youve had in your life.

so I dont think it means that they dont really want to know about you, they just dont want to know about other GUYS and you.