Decoding Christmas Gifts

jen_jen_heartbroken

jen_jen_heartbroken

What does it mean when a guy gives his girlfriend gift cards for Christmas? (keeping in mind that said girlfriend did provide wish list ideas when asked...gift cards were not on the list)

It means he is a lazy idiot.. that is all..

He also may not trust himself to get you something you like or he may not know you well enough to pcik something out..Like sizes or that kind of stuff..

• Author
jen_jen_heartbroken

Eh. Thought so. Men are too practical. And us women are always trying to interpret everything. I wish I could stop over-analyzing.

What does it mean when a guy gives his girlfriend gift cards for Christmas? (keeping in mind that said girlfriend did provide wish list ideas when asked...gift cards were not on the list)

Possibilities:

Didn't take the time to shop.

Didn't have the time to shop.

Didn't have confidence you'd actually like what he got you. Regardless of the list.

Doesn't like to shop.

Waited too long.

Couldn't find what you asked for.

Doesn't take the holiday that seriously and just wanted to avoid the hassle.

Misunderstood the purpose of the list.

He knows more than likely what he'll pick out won't be the right thing, so he'd rather give you a gift card so you can buy what you'd like. It doesn't have to mean anything unless you make it into something negative.

Some men are great at gift giving, some aren't.

this is so funny J_J_HB... this woman i'm dating for past 4 months did the same thing. she is a nice lady but i don't love her and don't see anythnig L/T with her. she's fun to be with but a bit too "nice" for me. anyways....she gave me a list of about 20 things she wanted and I ended up buying her a gift certificate card for her from a major dept store. i did this on purpose cause i don't want her to think our relationship is too serious. if i gavve her somethign more personal it would give her the wrong impression.

• Author
jen_jen_heartbroken

I didn't really give him a "list" like your lady did. He asked me what I wanted and I told him perfume (he does know the brand I wear), or some pearl or faux pearl jewelry...nothing expensive. So he gave me expensive gift cards instead. I just thought it was weird.

clandestinidad

Although it might not MEAN anything, like you I'd feel a little funky about it. Lately I'm all about people showing me that I'm important to them (my ex always showed me otherwise), and going the lazy/thoughtless route with gift cards would probably make me think that I'm not "important enough to take the time and go shopping for". Unless he really was being practical, which could mean 'thoughtful' to him.....I really dont know Jen.

How long have yall been together, I dont remember right now

If I'm in love with a guy, I start thinking about what I'm going to get him for Xmas in September. I give myself plenty of time to find the perfect thought out gift. I'm looking for a guy that would do the same for me, at least by November. :laugh: If my boyfriend ever gave me a gift card, I smack him.

• Author
jen_jen_heartbroken
How long have yall been together, I dont remember right now

7 intense months.

Unlike most men like Alphamale (on this site) I know how to give the right gifts for any random woman.

if I truly love and care for a woman I always know what to give her.

• Author
jen_jen_heartbroken
if I truly love and care for a woman I always know what to give her.

So what you're saying is that you never know what to get your women?

• Author
jen_jen_heartbroken
I thought you guys broke up:confused:

We finally met to talk the other night, and things are much better. We still have work to do to heal...but he appears to be willing to work at it.

HokeyReligions
We finally met to talk the other night, and things are much better. We still have work to do to heal...but he appears to be willing to work at it.

Thus the gift cards. He didn't know how you might interpret a gift that he would give you. Pearls or faux pearls--> what setting? Ring? Necklace-choker or long strand or double strand? Maybe he over-thought it and panicked, especially in light of your recent break-up and just beginning to talk again. :)

I put more effort buying christmas presents for my sister! haha, but if the gift card is for a store you like shopping at then I really don't think there should be a huge complaint there. I mean, with perfume I could pick out a fragrence that I like but totally repulses you so...

I went through this with an ex of mine too. I had gone to much effort into getting him a very expensive, personalized gift, and I got a gift card for a music store! I was pretty apauled at the time, but then I found out that it's what all his family did. Instead of gifts under the tree, they simply decorated their tree with envelopes, each one containing a gift card for their family members. It was in no way a symbol of disrespect, rather a family tradition.

If it bothers you, why don't you take him to the store with you to spend the gift certificate, and pick something out together, so it still carries some significance to the two of you rather than you just going to the store and picking something out on your own?

• Like 1