Does a Face to Face Dating Service Really Work???

mark1210

Hey Gang--

Well if anyone has read my prior posts I'm sure you will see a pattern of me apparently picking bad apples. My parents seem to think I don't have the ability to properly weed through the bad apples. That my giving them my trust right off the bat is a chracter flaw basically which leads to my getting burned. It was their advice that I sign up for some dating service where its all face to face, and they rank you, match you, advise you, etc. Do these things really work? It's called Great Expectations, something my parents friends advised them of. I figured I'd be one of the youngest people there (I'm 25) but believe it or not there are 19 year olds+. These people pay money around $1000.00 to be entered into their system. I would imagine they are either very serious about finding someone with long term potential or very desperate. I just need to know what to expect, I've already committed to my folks I would sign up.

My folks seem to be pretty down at the most recent dating experience and feel I will never find the right person on my own. Most of them women I date have came off the Internet and it's their view that is what I am doing wrong (they are old fashioned). Who knows..maybe its just me.

Thanks!

I think $1,000 is a very steep, unless you are someone with serious money. I have heard of very wealthy people with very strict critera paying A LOT of money, in the tens of thousands, for match makers; these people really care about someone's backrground, resume, and are usually looking to get hitched asap. Are you really in that much of a rush to settle down?

I would stick with the internet thing as your "dating service" but would also try to meet women in other areas too. Your parents say that you don't have the best "filtering" skills, but I'm still weary of people that say "for the right amount of money we can fix your life and make you happy". I don't think that any external entity could really know me and figure out what I'm attracted to and need. For $50 I might try it, but definitely not $1,000.

• Author

Yeah, good advice. I signed the dotted line, and it appears I am screwed. It was definatley a poor judgement on my part and I accept the responsibility. As an adult, I should have politely told my parents that it all comes with experience. But after listening to them and my friends say the same stuff time and time again I figured I had nothing to lose. Now, I am regretting entering into their contract. There is no way to back out either. So it looks like I am stuck financing $1500.00 at 10% APR for 2 years. Live and learn I suppose. I hope the women they have don't think I am Mr. Money Bags because I'm definately not.

I also have spent money I didn't have on bad decisions and like you said, the best thing you can do is learn from it. Maybe you WILL find someone special. If you don't, you will probably learn things about yourself and your own filtering process and what you are looking for and need so that you can do a better job on your own.

I think you have a good attitude about it all; thats the most valuable thing you can have. Good luck!!

Save your money. I was in "face to face" dating services before the age of the internet....that`s all there was. The ratio of men to women is about ten to one. I don`t see where you can gain any advantage over the internet except these people are supposed to be personally screened. I don`t believe it. The are not going to pass on anyone who is willing to pay unless the are in the ten most wanted list.

But, you ought to just get out there and meet women on your own. 25 is still young. Keep working on it!

• Author

Unless I was lied to...which is entirely possible, they said in my age range 20-27 there were 47 women that matched my criteria. As for the males there were 78 or something like that. I doubt there is a way out of the contract. I assume it would be cheaper in the long run to just pay it out and at least make them work for the money.

I never got a respone though regarding what it would be like from a woman's perspective. Why would a woman go this route? I was told by them that women use the service as they are too busy and too tired of the bar/club scene and it's safer for them. Is that true or just BS? And would a woman think that a man was "loaded" because he paid more than a woman to get his information added? I'm a bit concerned now that these women may think I am loaded and they are in for a big surprise. Wonder if there is a buyer's remorse law.

Great Expectations is a rip off.. I did them many years ago and they matched me with someone of the Hindu faith that had only been in this country 6 months.. She could barley speak english.. She also had a dot on her forehead..

Not my idea of a match

You do have 72 hrs after signing a contract to get out of it..

It's called the buyers remorse clause..

If I were you I would try and negotiate the contract and get some of your money back..

I never got a respone though regarding what it would be like from a woman's perspective. Why would a woman go this route? I was told by them that women use the service as they are too busy and too tired of the bar/club scene and it's safer for them. Is that true or just BS? And would a woman think that a man was "loaded" because he paid more than a woman to get his information added? I'm a bit concerned now that these women may think I am loaded and they are in for a big surprise. Wonder if there is a buyer's remorse law.

I've heard of Great Expectations. I am registerd with a match making service. It is called Together Dating. Similar to your sevice. I joined last month.

My fee is very low compared to there normal fee.They adjusted their fee for me because I am highly compatable according to there intake tests and interview and also I don't have much of a income being a single parent getting little help from deadbeat father. The lady I met with said there are more men then women to match up. She said she would't be surprised if by the 4th match I would be dating someone heading towards a serious relationship. I have had 3 matches all in a 2 week time. I met 2 of the 3. They are giving me 10 matchs for the price I am paying. I think its fair.

The service is matching me with these guys based on my morals, values, interests and hobbies. After each date I am to give them feed back so they can adjust the criteria for matching me.

I joined this service because I AM sick of the club/bar scene. I AM sick of the online dating garbage too. I'm tired of being lied too and used. The guys in Together Dating ARE LOOKING for a serious relationship. It is not for casual dating. There is a extensive background check and also if they get bad reports on you or think you are not being sincere they will release you from their services (you still have to pay your fee) or stop matching you until you recieve counceling. They even have councelors with their service if you need them.

I am a woman and that is my point of view, knowledge and reason for joining the service. I have heard that Great Expectations is not as good of a service as Together Dating.

RecordProducer

I think you need to stop viewing your picking bad apples as something that happens only to you and automatically implies that you're unable to find the right girl. It's very hard for all of us to hook up with someone great. I am very content with my BF, but in 30 years he is basically the only good guy I met.

Your parents shouldn't interfere so much in your personal life. You sound like the typical good boy and as such you're prone to falling for bad girls. People are usually attracted to their opposites for a reason; the unknown (the challenge) allures us to explore it. I am sure you're not even aware of what's going on until you find yourself in a bad relationship. You keep picking up the ones with emotional baggage as if your mind has a sensor to detect them, right? I think you need to be more mature (older) in order to be able to recognize potential psychotic behavior.

For no money will anyone make you fall for the right girl; they may introduce you to a few of them, but not do the job for you. Besides, I would say for that price they can't have too many members and thus your choice is fairly limited.

The environment of your search may also influence the girls you meet. If you meet them at bars where they drink tons of beer and end up passed out on the backseat of your car, don't be surprised that these relationships don't work out. Try approaching girls at sports events, galleries, museums, concerts, theaters or even engage in some new activity where you might meet a "good apple".

I've heard of Great Expectations. I am registerd with a match making service. It is called Together Dating. Similar to your sevice. I joined last month.

My fee is very low compared to there normal fee.They adjusted their fee for me because I am highly compatable according to there intake tests and interview and also I don't have much of a income being a single parent getting little help from deadbeat father. The lady I met with said there are more men then women to match up. She said she would't be surprised if by the 4th match I would be dating someone heading towards a serious relationship. I have had 3 matches all in a 2 week time. I met 2 of the 3. They are giving me 10 matchs for the price I am paying. I think its fair.

The service is matching me with these guys based on my morals, values, interests and hobbies. After each date I am to give them feed back so they can adjust the criteria for matching me.

I joined this service because I AM sick of the club/bar scene. I AM sick of the online dating garbage too. I'm tired of being lied too and used. The guys in Together Dating ARE LOOKING for a serious relationship. It is not for casual dating. There is a extensive background check and also if they get bad reports on you or think you are not being sincere they will release you from their services (you still have to pay your fee) or stop matching you until you recieve counceling. They even have councelors with their service if you need them.

I am a woman and that is my point of view, knowledge and reason for joining the service. I have heard that Great Expectations is not as good of a service as Together Dating.

Boy.. You bought the whole package..

I have some swamp land in NO that I'm selling.. And for you because you are so highly compatable I'll sell it to you at a lower rate :laugh:

• Author

LOL..are we sure buyer's remorse works in this situation? Also, I bought it on Friday, Saturday and Sunday are non-business days and Monday they are closed for the Holiday. So now what?

Plus, I don't think Texas has a buyer's remorse law.

Also, naah gonna have to pass on the swap, I think my credit is stretched already to the max =)

Hey Gang--

Well if anyone has read my prior posts I'm sure you will see a pattern of me apparently picking bad apples. My parents seem to think I don't have the ability to properly weed through the bad apples. That my giving them my trust right off the bat is a chracter flaw basically which leads to my getting burned. It was their advice that I sign up for some dating service where its all face to face, and they rank you, match you, advise you, etc. Do these things really work? It's called Great Expectations, something my parents friends advised them of. I figured I'd be one of the youngest people there (I'm 25) but believe it or not there are 19 year olds+. These people pay money around $1000.00 to be entered into their system. I would imagine they are either very serious about finding someone with long term potential or very desperate. I just need to know what to expect, I've already committed to my folks I would sign up.

My folks seem to be pretty down at the most recent dating experience and feel I will never find the right person on my own. Most of them women I date have came off the Internet and it's their view that is what I am doing wrong (they are old fashioned). Who knows..maybe its just me.

Thanks!

Listen man you gonna believe in what people tell you and not have will as a man that you can do it?

Believe me when i say its all in your head, women some are hard to get but some are very easy going.

never pay for PU**Y.

it comes free.

This is what i want you to do. goto a local Library, pickup a book called "Magic of thinking big".

you are 25y old man, not a 12y old kid. that you need people tell you that you are not good enough on your own, have some FU***** Balls, go out and do it, then tell them that you can do it.

I don't think Texas has a buyer's remorse law.

Bummer.. I just did a google on it and Texas doesn't have the law..A contract is binding as soon as it is signed..

I think you need to talk to them and see if you can negotiate a partial refund..

Ya never know until you try

• Author

Jaye--

Thanks I'll do that and get back to you.

Art Critic--

Thanks for double checking..Figured that was the case :mad:

A_C Boy.. You bought the whole package..

I have some swamp land in NO that I'm selling.. And for you because you are so highly compatable I'll sell it to you at a lower rate

NO I didnt buy it all. I got my membership for 300 for 10 matches. I got a great deal because they said I am highly compatable and they have more men in their database then women...

Why the heck would I want swamp land?? I don't hunt.. Although I like a guy who does. :p

Am I only worth Swamp Land at a cheap price. Wow... :lmao: :lmao:

300 for 10 matches.

$30.00 per match..Whew...

And that's a deal .. Do you have to pay for the matches that don't go out with you ?

I think you got taken..They sold you with that BS line about being cheaper because you are more compatiable.. A sales line...

But if it yields you a guy then maybe I'm wrong..

Keep us up to date.. I'd like to know what kind of success you will have

RecordProducer

Arty, I assume the point is: there are no guaranatees. They would be surprised themselves if you got hooked with someone. :D

They just give you 10 matches (cuz they don't have any more than that :laugh: ). They know you won't come again and renew your membership anyway so they pretend that they will give you only 10 matches, but they will be princes(ses). In fact, they give you what they have for whatveer price they can get from you, just in order to take your money.

Often you hear about perfect deals who will provide you with everything, but when you enagge in it, you see that it's just scam. In this case, all you need to do is MEET people and choose the one you want (and wants you) by yourself. How can anyone tell you what's good for you? In a million years no one would guess what I want from a man. Chemistry is the most important thing (based on/combined with emotional intelligence) and nobody can introduce you to the person you will "definitely" like or fall in love with. The database of people is worthwhile, but you can get it on any dating site for $30 per month. For $300 or $1,000 they can only have a few hundred people of all ages and both genders.

Great Expectations...I always wondered where MAD TV got it's idea for Lowered Expectations..now i know...LOL :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

$30.00 per match..Whew...

And that's a deal .. Do you have to pay for the matches that don't go out with you ?

I think you got taken..They sold you with that BS line about being cheaper because you are more compatiable.. A sales line...

But if it yields you a guy then maybe I'm wrong..

Keep us up to date.. I'd like to know what kind of success you will have

I seen their price sheet they post and normally 10 matches is in the ball park of almost 3,000. I have had 3 matches already and the 3rd one is turning into a possitive thusfar. They are right on target for the kind of guy I am looking for in morals, values and interests. The rest is up to me in finding if I am feeling compatable with him. They gave me a two for one because the first match was way off base of what I was looking for. They apoligized and gave me him as a freebie. lol.. 30 a month for 6 month payments is not bad.. I have a one year contract. From what I have heard from the 3rd guy I met you can sell back matches at a discount if you want. He said he bought 6 match's at a discount because they were sell backs or something like that. I don't know anything about that. I didnt do the research in it. I havent even read the fine lines in my contract because I am game for this adventure... I like adventure and this is one of them I am open too.. I have 8 matches I can use if I want too. Its my choice if I want to use them or not. If I match with someone $300 isnt much compared to dating and getting to know someone one and realizing you dont have anything in common but sexual attraction.. Figure out how much you spend on a date? How much time do you waste before you find out what you have in common, morals and values.. Alot of that time is saved with matching me with someone who shares my same interests, my same beliefs, my values.. Thats what they match you by....

I seen their price sheet they post and normally 10 matches is in the ball park of almost 3,000.

It sounds like you might be a success story.. Great..

They have the price sheet printed with outragous prices in order to show you how good of a deal you are getting..

That wasn't their real internal price sheet.

It was a selling tactic and it worked..

I guess you could'v by chance met the one on the 2nd pull and you would've been set..

I hope it works out for you..

It sounds like you might be a success story.. Great..

They have the price sheet printed with outragous prices in order to show you how good of a deal you are getting..

That wasn't their real internal price sheet.

It was a selling tactic and it worked..

I guess you could'v by chance met the one on the 2nd pull and you would've been set..

I hope it works out for you..

Maybe, it was a selling tactic with the price sheet, but if I'm paying $30 month for online dating and I only get 4 face to face meetings (like I did) and non of them work out (like they did) then 10 matches for $300 is a steal for me compared to my other experiences with online dating. The 3 guys that Together Dating has matched me up with is more on track then the online sites. Together Dating is different then Great Expectations from what I have understood from other people I have spoken with.

I am a willing participant in this. Saves me time figuring out if a guy has the same interests as I do ..

As for using the 10 or not using them it's up to me.. This 3rd guy I've met said I can sell back my matches if I don't want them or use them. If it comes to that I will check into it. Right now I'm no where near thinking about it. I just started this journey last month. I'm not exclusive with this 3rd guy yet. We are moving slowly. So far we both have expressed no red flags towards each other. So far so good but my options are open for now.

If you would still like to get out of that contract You may want to try a couple of things. One It never hurts to ask the company to let you out. If they won't Then call the Better Business burau. Then threaten them by saying your going to contact one of these local TV station consumer reporters. Make it plan that you will become their biggest headache and pain in the ass. I have gotten some good results this way. Good Luck with your search.

Has anyone tried eharmony or Truebeginings? Both .com matching companies. I was on Yahoo and Match but really not finding who i was looking for. Ehamony and Truebegining, both do a psychological test and match on that and what you put down for a preference.

I'm paying $30 month for online dating and I only get 4 face to face meetings (like I did) and non of them work out

Now there is a good selling point.. it is so true.. Online dating can be fairly expensive and fail horribly..

By the way.. I'm not trying to be negative.. I think what you are doing is great.. if it works out.. let us know..