Sudden distance

off2sea

I've been seeing someone now for a little over two months, things were going pretty well considering I'm still a bit on the rebound from being badly burned late last year. Anyway, rather suddenly she is showing some distance as I get more ingrained in her life. I am trying to ignore it and not show any concern but am seeing the warning signs. I mentioned it last night and she claimed not to have any idea what I was talking about, so all I did was feel foolish. Do I cut and run now or just try to distance my own emotions?

LucreziaBorgia

Return the same amount of distance she is giving you. When someone initiates 'distance' or 'space' then you have no choice but to set your pace to theirs. It sounds like she is setting a pace that she is comfortable with, and should you try to do anything but match that pace you'll notice a lot more distance. Chances are if you do this, you'll amicably just drift away from each other - which is probably what she is hoping for anyway. If you drift, and she continues to drift off herself - just let it taper down to nothing. If she comes back, then come back at the same pace.

• Author

Thanks, that sounds very reasonable. Guess I will really try to stop the feelings that were developing and play it by ear...