Is this being financially responsible?

responsibility789

responsibility789

If you and your boyfriend have great chemistry and he is a really good boyfriend, so do you go ahead and live together if the 2 of you are in different money places - the amount you each have are very different (you are fairly well off and he has almost no assets); and he earns enough to pay bills but lives paycheck to paycheck vs. you earn a very nice living.

He believes he has achieved financial responsibility and is "worthy" of living with you b/c he pays his bills. But is that reality when you live paycheck to paycheck even when you earn $55,000/year??

Both parties are nearing retirement age. Is he is being responsible enough or is it too much of a gamble?

GorillaTheater

Is this the person who repeatedly asks the same question and repeatedly gets the same answers?

If it is, there's nothing to worry about. Both of you will die of old age before you ever get around to moving in together, anyways.

• Like 5
OatsAndHall

I, personally, probably wouldn't be financially compatible with an individual like this. I wouldn't say he's "financially irresponsible" as he is paying his bills. But, he's certainly spending a lot of money if he's living pay check to pay check on $55k/year. At $45k/year, I have "fun spending" but I also:

-put money in savings every month

-contribute to a pension and an IRA

-have limited debt (no car or credit card payments)

• Author
responsibility789

not the same "person"...new matter.

He charges food, gas and regular living expenses. Pays off "statement" balance on time but not full balance for charges coming in after the statement cut off. Has a car lease payment, rent, utilities, etc....

He had promised me to be financially responsible so I don't take on more liability (already have plenty of that to deal with). I don't believe things will get better financially for him (ie, no raise in salary is expected, etc.). He does pay $1600/year for concierge doctor that I've told him is a waste of $ but that hasn't changed. He does save some money each month as well but not a lot.