How do I start talking to this guy?!

Elleinad

So a couple of days ago my work friend, told me her friend had told he there was a guy in her department that liked me.

I know who the guy is, I've noticed him before and thought he was good looking but didn't think I'd stand a chance! Anyway, yesterday he emailed my friend something like 'I hear you are playing cupid, thank you for trying it is a shame she isn't interested.' to which she replied 'I'm sorry, there's plenty more fish in the sea'

But I am interested! What do I do? Our office is huge, theres about 30p people, I have no clue where he sits and also it would be really weird if I just went up to his desk. I could email, but what would I say? We have no mutual friends in the office, so not like we could start talking that way. Sometimes we walk past each other, I guess I could try and catch his eye and give him a smile?! How am I going to do this?! Should I just leave it, and see if anything else comes of it? I feel like if things like this are meant to be, they usually have a way of coming about. I don't know.

CautiouslyOptimistic
Anyway, yesterday he emailed my friend something like 'I hear you are playing cupid, thank you for trying it is a shame she isn't interested.' to which she replied 'I'm sorry, there's plenty more fish in the sea'

Why would she say this? Does SHE want him?

• Like 1
stillafool

Something seems strange. If he is interested in you it seems he would of at least struck up a conversation with you or said something to you to show he wants a date. He hasn't done anything but tells your friend you aren't interested. Why would she say sorry there's more fish in the sea if she knows you like him too or at least forwarded his email to you?

• Author
Something seems strange. If he is interested in you it seems he would of at least struck up a conversation with you or said something to you to show he wants a date. He hasn't done anything but tells your friend you aren't interested. Why would she say sorry there's more fish in the sea if she knows you like him too or at least forwarded his email to you?

Maybe he isn't as interested as her friend made out then? Maybe he just made a passing comment about me and it's been blown out of proportion then? I guess she felt she had to respond to his email with something? I don't know...

CautiouslyOptimistic

I'm still confused. Why would she tell him you were not interested in him?

There are women who will use you as an excuse to get close to a guy and do just this type of thing. They gain their trust that way and suddenly they're talking to them because they are the one who is interested. I had a close friend who did a lot of that. I didn't appreciate it, and I would ask the guys what was going on because it didn't make sense to me and they would keep her secret.

I will just say this. This woman is stirring up inappropriate crap at work that involves you. You'd be within your rights to speak up to either him or the boss about it and throw her under the bus.

Remember, He apparently wasn't who started it. He said she is playing cupid. So she started it. So she has some reason, and my guess is she wanted an excuse to get to know him herself, but I wouldn't appreciate being the pawn and laughingstock when she ends up with him.

Flame Aura

You shouldn't talk to him at all.

If he has to resort to talking to your friend about you, emailing her about you, instead of actually being a man and talking to you himself, then he's just a boy.

Find a real man.

I agree with the above post....BUT if you want to make that step anyways....just email him this "don't believe everything you hear...I am interested! How about we meet up for a coffee? now if he doesn't jump at that then he's a moron.

• Like 2

You know, if I was going to write him at all, I'd put, "Hey, how did this whole thing get started with (woman's name) talking about me to you? It came out of the blue and I'm a little embarrassed and confused. I figure if you wanted to talk to me, you would just do it and don't see how she got involved."

Gretchen12

When you see him, say hello, introduce yourself. You may mention briefly that you have a mutual acquaintance, but that's not important. If you like him, you should get to know him. Ignore everything that's happened before. Don't mention that you saw his email. That whole who likes whom emailing is all very immature and confusing.

• Like 1
I agree with the above post....BUT if you want to make that step anyways....just email him this "don't believe everything you hear...I am interested! How about we meet up for a coffee? now if he doesn't jump at that then he's a moron.

I agree with this approach!

• Like 2

I am from a different culture where dating customs are different. I haven't done it either because I'm in a long term marriage. From what I understand that you have written he emailed your friend and asked for opinion if you are interested. She has said something negative, but she forwarded you only the last email. May be she is jealous or want him for herself. Now the only option for you to be direct and make it obvious that you are interested. I know it's difficult for a woman, but at least try and email or text. It's better than doing nothing if you really like him, may be he is too shy and fears rejection.

Get your friend to retract her original statement & confirm that you are interested. Also have her organize a few people into going out after work. Make sure this guy is coming along. Talk to him them. Problem solved.