My friend wants to fix me up

mortensorchid

mortensorchid

I was talking to a woman friend if mine last week, she and I have had a nice friendship but she met a guy about 2 years ago and now she is in a relationship with him. I met him once, seems like a good guy. He's about 10-15 years younger than she is (she's 36). They seem happy as clams. And I am happy for her. She said she wants to fix me up with a friend of his, we could do a double date kind of thing. I said since I am feeling like I am too old to find love again what's his story? Jail sentence? Thrice divorced? She said nothing like that. She said he's in his 40s and has a daughter. I said okay keep me posted.

I am afraid anymore. I feel like I am not worthy or anyone or they won't like me because I am too old to attract anyone. I may not look or act like it but ... I feel like I am. Otherwise why would I have had such bad luck? I will keep others posted on this.

Geese lady. You're not old so cut the failure mode.

Just go have fun with zero expectations.

Surprise us with your charm.

• Like 1

You've had such bad luck because (by your own description) you sound like you manage poorly in group settings. Not smiling, not engaging in conversation...and being critical of those who do have those social skill. It's nothing to do with your age.

Go meet this guy. And don't forget to smile and be open! As Marc says, be charming.

• Like 2
Happy Lemming

Is this friend of the guy, similar in age to him?? I'm just thinking if your girlfriend is 36 and her guy is 10-15 years younger, would his friend (the fix up) be about the same age??

You are 44, I don't see dating success with a guy in his early or mid 20's??

In general, I stick to the 10 year rule. No more than 10 years older or younger than me.

See a photo of him first to be sure he's not totally out of the question because better to say no up front than afterward when a friend sets you up.

Lotsgoingon

I think you've bought too easily into the idea that you SHOULD be partnered. Sure, if you're single and don't want to be, a thought like that can easily creep in.

But you don't want to buy that thinking. After all you don't think every guy out there who is looking for a partner is a loser--do you? So neither are you.

• Like 1

Seriously, if you read other threads here on LS it should be clear that your age is not at the top of the list for difficulties in finding love. Your general approach to life, social skills, and attention to your appearance have a lot to do with it.

Be open and receptive and positive and just see where it goes.

just promise to me mortensorchid that if you start dating this mystery guy that you won't forget us here on LS

• Like 1
See a photo of him first to be sure he's not totally out of the question because better to say no up front than afterward when a friend sets you up.

Trueeee.

l got a helluva shock once back in the day with someone setting me up.

Cringing.

• Author
mortensorchid
just promise to me mortensorchid that if you start dating this mystery guy that you won't forget us here on LS

Never. It's too addictive.

• Like 2