BF is "unsure" if he ever wants kids...

So I met this guy on OLD who I really like. We have been official for four months now. He lives in another state, to which I am planning to move for various reasons.

I was very clear on my OLD profile what I was looking for. Someone to build a future with, and that I want to have a lot of kids in the future. My bf messaged me and we really clicked. He visited me after a month of talking, I thought, this is a man who is literally willing to fly across the country for me. We discussed kids in one of our early phone calls. I wasn't afraid to bring it up because he is 30 years old, so I thought he should be relatively mature, and in a time in his life where he would be thinking about these things. I once again said that I wanted many kids, maybe four of them. He said "well I'm not sure about that..." but I shrugged it off because I assumed he meant he wasn't sure about having so many kids. I mean even for men who do want kids, how many out there think they're going to want that many kids...?

He visited me for a third time and it randomly came up again. Then he says that he's not sure if he wants kids. I was like... "You mean... not ever??" He said "Yeah..." I was seriously shocked. Didn't see that coming, because I had been so open about my desire for kids and a committed relationship with a future. My heart dropped, because wanting kids is a definite deal-breaker for me. I took a silent moment to calm down and collect myself, then we had a discussion. He gave an explanation that didn't seem all that clear to me. Just said that having a kid is a lot of a responsibility, he doesn't know how it will change his life, doesn't know if it will be a positive of negative thing. He emigrated here from his home country two years ago and in his home country, having kids is not ideal because kids are miserable there due to educational and economic stress. There were just a few things he said that gave me hope. First, that he used to think negatively of marriage based on what he saw in his home country, but since coming to America he has come around to the idea. I think he also said that he may just need some time to also come around to the idea of having children. He also said that he is "more likely to want kids if he stays in America forever." (Which he is planning to, he just got his green card and an official position in his company).

After this trip together, we had a phone call about it so that I could get some clarity on his position. I asked him if there were any specific goals he had that kids would prevent him from achieving... such as furthering his education, traveling to certain places, getting a certain job position, or keeping up his social lifestyle (he goes out for dinner with friends a LOT). He says that there are no specific goals... it's about the adventure of life and it's an "abstract concept." I told him that having kids was not something I was willing to give up for anybody or any relationship. I also said that I was not willing to wait forever for his decision, because I will keep getting older (I am 24). I said that I wasn't sure how long I was willing to wait. And well, this is where things got real awkward. He got upset and said "So at that point.. what? You're just going to say bye bye?" I said "well... yeah" and he said "I'm not doing all this stuff for nothing..." I said "I know" and there was an unbearably long silence before we decided to hang up and sleep because it was late and we were tired.

The next morning I woke up and wondered if we were over. I texted him that I really liked him and wanted this relationship to work. Then he texts me saying "Don't worry what we talked about yesterday. We just started our relationship and are getting to know each other. I understand your point. I just think our worries will be solved as time goes by. :) " To me this translates to "Don't worry about my current position on kids because I will probably end up wanting them. I just need some time to adjust and come around to the idea." What do you think?? He came up with the idea of me moving in with him quite early on, and we are thinking of doing it at the 6 month mark if our "trial period" goes well (I will visit him next month to get a taste of what it's like living together) and I'm really excited about it because I have never moved in with a boyfriend, but also nervous about what will happen because of his stance on kids. Should I just go for it and maybe bring it up again at like the 11mo mark (assuming we make it to there)? I wonder if he feels this way because it seems like he's never had a "love of his life" kind of girl...

TheFinalWord

He doesn't want kids, you do.

This is why you date for, to find out about compatibility.

You are only young for so long. You don't want to waste your youth trying to convince a man to give you kids. There are literally millions of men that want kids. All you're doing is dragging out the inevitable and making it harder on yourself. Moving in at 6 months? That's really quick. This guy is going to get you emotionally snared and then you're going to have to try to convince him to give you kids. I don't get why you are doing this to yourself.

• Like 5

I think your interpretation is accurate. At 30 this may have been the 1st time he seriously thought about the idea of kids & those initial thoughts were a bit overwhelming. Especially because of his background, you have to respect his view point that he didn't want to create a person only to see that child suffer

I think eventually he will be open to having kids. That doesn't mean he will be open to having "a lot of kids" i.e. more then the conventional 2. If you really want 6 kids or something you best find somebody who shares that large family vision as well as good financial plan to support that many people.

I would not revisit the issue at the 11th month mark. I'd wait until 16-18 months in. At that point you can also start talking about an eventual marriage.

Edited by d0nnivain

Too many women fritter away their child bearing years on guys that are lukewarm about having kids in the forlorn hope he will change his mind.

He is 30, he probably knows exactly where he stands on kids, he may be hoping he can persuade YOU to give up on kids, or at least persuade you to only have one, if you really have to.

If indeed he is even serious about taking this further...

Do not be hurried into living together either, women often think living together is first step to marriage, many men think "Clean, tidy apartment, regular sex and meals. Marriage? Hell no..."

Too many women get caught in that trap too.

If you want 4+ kids then you need to get the basics right.

You need to choose a marriage minded man, who is as interested in having a big family as you are, not some guy who MIGHT be persuaded...

• Like 5
introverted1

Can I just say: Yikes

You're 24 and you've been dating for 4 months and, from your last paragraph you haven't said "I love you" yet... but you're having deep conversations about kids?

I think it's appropriate that you've stated you want kids in the future, but it's far too soon to be expecting this sort of definitive commitment from a man you've only just started dating, and long distance at that.

Wait and see how the relationship evolves. At 12-18 months you'll know whether you see a future with this guy and then you can have a serious discussion about children.

• Like 7
Lotsgoingon

You don't want to move in as a way to push him or encourage him to change his mind. I wouldn't interpret his backtracking as evidence that he thinks he does want kids. I would interpret his backtracking as evidence that he likes you ... that's different than a having a genuine interest in kids.

Your task right now is to not back down on your desire to have kids and on your insistence that that's a deal-breaker. Stand your ground firmly--even obnoxiously--and see if he shifts ... A close friend of mine basically had his heart broken when his ambivalent-about-having-kids wife ... decided a few years into that she definitely did NOT want to have kids. He stayed in the marriage, but the disappointment was crushing ... He did feel betrayed ... His wife had sorta been back and forth like your bf ... The marriage took a major hit.

Do not reassure him ... or try to convince him. Kids are utterly exhausting and require a huge amount of work. You do not want to have kids with someone who has been "talked into it." HE needs to come to this conclusion on his own--and not think of having kids for you.

Really resist the urge to change him ... on this ...

Le't say he does agree to have kids ... just to please you ... his ambivalence will haunt you ... and hover right above the relationship. And you'll be in a place where you work extra hard at the kid-raising to minimize the effort and work required of him... Not a good place to be.

If you're into kids, find someone who is definitely, definitively into having kids. Period. Yes/no. No room for vagueness. You can date him a few more months ... See if he shifts ... Don't move in ... Moving in does NOT resolve this difference--not at all.

To be strategic about this, moving in only shifts the power to him ... he'll think you moved in without a commitment to having kids. Why should he change?

• Like 2

I used to run a forum for people who chose not to have children, and I can tell you that he does not want kids and that you shouldn't even consider choosing him. You want kids, and he doesn't. He will have nothing but resentment for you if you get pregnant. He will not help with the kids because you're the one who wanted them. Do not choose a man to be a father who doesn't want kids!

Most people who don't want them don't particularly like them even from childhood or think they're annoying. They keep an open mind, but by 30, they know for sure if they don't want them, and he doesn't want them.

You are only four months in. Drop him. You're going to try to change him or trick him, and that isn't going to go well for you. I've seen what happens when a woman has a kid a man isn't ready for. She becomes a single parent, even if they remain married. And nothing but resentment.

If you pick a man who doesn't want kids, you are not thinking of the kids' welfare at all but only being selfish and thinking of yourself. There are plenty of guys out there who want kids. If you're having four of them, you need to find one that not only wants kids, but wants to play a major role in doing half the childcare! So get real about this, because kids are a lot of work and expense. Don't start off wrong by picking a non-Dad.

Edited by preraph
  • Like 4

Better to cut this one loose and have only wasted four months, than do the same thing later on and waste 2 years.

He's 30. If he was the kind of guys who wants kids, he would know that by now. He'd be looking for someone else on the same page, and you'd have no doubts in your mind about this.

Perhaps you can persuade him to have one, in time. But where do you think this will lead? If you have the image in your head of a happy family, and an involved dad who looks forward to playing with his kids, then think again. What you'll get is a guy who reluctantly does as little as he can get away with, resents you for his loss of freedom and the financial impact, and considers the kid(s) a drain on his time and energy.

Consider here that your job is not just to pick a guy who you want to spend your life with, but one who you think will be a great father to your future kids. You're gambling far more than just your own future happiness here. Choose carefully.

• Like 2
amaysngrace

You’re only four months in. Why are you talking about kids?

Plan a vacation together, go travel, live life a little then worry about all that. You have to build a relationship before you should build a family.

• Like 2
littleblackheart

Good call on your part for asking about kids early on, especially since this is a non negotiable for you.

He can't see far in the future, but you can; that's already an incompatibility.

The only way you can pursue this relationship is to view it as nothing more than a 'in the moment' thing, bc this is how he views it.

He is committing himself to getting to know you, nothing more.

• Like 2
Mrs._December
I mean even for men who do want kids, how many out there think they're going to want that many kids...?

Hell, I'm a woman and I wouldn't even consider having a litter of kids that big. :laugh:

You have the advantage of going your own way right now because quite honestly, it sounds like you know exactly what you want and you want to start laying the groundwork to achieve it. You're MUCH better off finding a mate whose on the same page as you, not one that you're going to have to constantly wear down until he cries 'uncle' and gives in. You're excited at the prospect of moving in with him so you keep trying to find hidden meaning in everything he says, that supposedly means he'll be onboard for kids soon.

Stop wasting your time on a guy who clearly isn't on the same page as you and keeps giving you vague little snippets of hope every time you tell him you need to go your own way to find what you want. He tells you just enough to keep you dangling on his fishing line without him having to back any of it up. Words are cheap. Hell, they're free.

It's not like you're in love with him and have been with him for years and can't bear to leave him. You've got a few scant months invested in him. That's nothing in the scheme of things. Hell, I've got leftovers in my refrigerator that have been in there longer than your relationship. :D

• Like 2
Sunnydaysandsome

If you want kids you really have to be very clear with men about that.

I don't want kids, not all women do. If I did, I wouldn't have them with any man I would be extremely picky.

You need a man to show you he is mature and responsible and ready for kids, if not he will leave you a single mum... not much fun.

• Like 2
  • Author
He doesn't want kids, you do.

This is why you date for, to find out about compatibility.

You are only young for so long. You don't want to waste your youth trying to convince a man to give you kids. There are literally millions of men that want kids. All you're doing is dragging out the inevitable and making it harder on yourself. Moving in at 6 months? That's really quick. This guy is going to get you emotionally snared and then you're going to have to try to convince him to give you kids. I don't get why you are doing this to yourself.

Doing this to myself because I have already been in a few relationships where I was treated pretty badly... I feel like I don't want to give up on someone who genuinely cares about me, treats me well and likes me for my personality unlike those other guys. I mean I guess it's a gamble but I feel like I should take the chance.

• Author
I used to run a forum for people who chose not to have children, and I can tell you that he does not want kids and that you shouldn't even consider choosing him. You want kids, and he doesn't. He will have nothing but resentment for you if you get pregnant. He will not help with the kids because you're the one who wanted them. Do not choose a man to be a father who doesn't want kids!

Most people who don't want them don't particularly like them even from childhood or think they're annoying. They keep an open mind, but by 30, they know for sure if they don't want them, and he doesn't want them.

You are only four months in. Drop him. You're going to try to change him or trick him, and that isn't going to go well for you. I've seen what happens when a woman has a kid a man isn't ready for. She becomes a single parent, even if they remain married. And nothing but resentment.

If you pick a man who doesn't want kids, you are not thinking of the kids' welfare at all but only being selfish and thinking of yourself. There are plenty of guys out there who want kids. If you're having four of them, you need to find one that not only wants kids, but wants to play a major role in doing half the childcare! So get real about this, because kids are a lot of work and expense. Don't start off wrong by picking a non-Dad.

Well that's an interesting perspective. I never thought of it that way. I watch some popular vlogger who is in a marriage like this with two kids and I feel really bad for her. Of course I wouldn't want to end up in that situation. I wouldn't go through with marrying my bf in the future unless he developed a genuine interest in being a father.

• Author
You don't want to move in as a way to push him or encourage him to change his mind. I wouldn't interpret his backtracking as evidence that he thinks he does want kids. I would interpret his backtracking as evidence that he likes you ... that's different than a having a genuine interest in kids.

Your task right now is to not back down on your desire to have kids and on your insistence that that's a deal-breaker. Stand your ground firmly--even obnoxiously--and see if he shifts ... A close friend of mine basically had his heart broken when his ambivalent-about-having-kids wife ... decided a few years into that she definitely did NOT want to have kids. He stayed in the marriage, but the disappointment was crushing ... He did feel betrayed ... His wife had sorta been back and forth like your bf ... The marriage took a major hit.

Do not reassure him ... or try to convince him. Kids are utterly exhausting and require a huge amount of work. You do not want to have kids with someone who has been "talked into it." HE needs to come to this conclusion on his own--and not think of having kids for you.

I am not going to try and change him. I already know that I wouldn't want to be with somebody who chooses having kids just to appease me. I won't ever back down but at the same time I don't think I can bring it up f I for a while because he said he would be annoyed I keep bringing it up

• Author
Can I just say: Yikes

You're 24 and you've been dating for 4 months and, from your last paragraph you haven't said "I love you" yet... but you're having deep conversations about kids?

I think it's appropriate that you've stated you want kids in the future, but it's far too soon to be expecting this sort of definitive commitment from a man you've only just started dating, and long distance at that.

Wait and see how the relationship evolves. At 12-18 months you'll know whether you see a future with this guy and then you can have a serious discussion about children.

I don't see what's so wrong about that... I deserve to know whether this is a relationship worth investing in from the beginning. I just wanted to get some insight on what he actually meant by his words by people who have more experience and wisdom than I. :p

I don't think I can bring it up f I for a while because he said he would be annoyed I keep bringing it up

Well does that not tell you something?

• Like 5
Lotsgoingon
I am not going to try and change him. I already know that I wouldn't want to be with somebody who chooses having kids just to appease me. I won't ever back down but at the same time I don't think I can bring it up f I for a while because he said he would be annoyed I keep bringing it up

What do you mean you can't bring up the issue? ... You have to bring it up. What the heck are you talking about? If he's annoyed, you drop him. NEVER let someone set a vital issue as off limits. You're surrendering to manipulation.

If you're afraid to bring up this question of kids--which is of vital importance and fundamental to who you are--then you aren't ready to date.

• Like 1
Scarlett.O'hara
I just think our worries will be solved as time goes by. :) " To me this translates to "Don't worry about my current position on kids because I will probably end up wanting them. I just need some time to adjust and come around to the idea." What do you think??

Honestly, no I don't think he is going to go from not really wanting kids at all to wanting a large family. He is 30, not 20, so he will have a much better idea about what he wants. Men have their own "clock" so if having a family means something to him, he will have factored that into his future in some capacity.

However there was something I read that raise a bit of an eyebrow, and that was the fact that he wants you to move in with him, which is a huge step in any relationship. It just struck me as a little concerning that he wanted you to move in with him so quickly, after such a short relationship, especially when there has been NO meeting of the minds in terms of the future.

Clearly his focus right now is about getting his green card. Sure, he might be able to get that on his own. However, he could also get that by marrying a citizen, so please be very cautious if he starts mentioning marriage anytime soon. That would be a massive red flag!

I'm only bringing this up because I sense that you like this guy a lot and might end up being mislead into a quick wedding with the impression that having a large family are part of the deal. You haven't known him long enough to know how trustworthy he truly is.

For your own sake, you really need to take a step back and reflect on whether this is worth your time.

Do the math.

- How many fertile years might you have? *Your egg count will keep dropping over the years, especially once you hit 30. That my seem like a long time away but it goes by quick so you need to invest your time with men on the same page. Guys who want big families aren't subtle about it in my experience.

- How many years will it take to have the amount of children you want? *Consider that 4+ kids would take at least 6-10 years if you had them close together.

- How many years could you invest/waste with this guy? *1-2 if you move in with him?

- How long might it take to find a guy who actually wants children and is a good match for you? *6 months - 3 years? Who knows?

- How long before you are both ready to start having a family? *That might take 1 - 3 years as well.

It may not be pleasant to think about but if having a big family is really important to you, then you can't waste your time on someone who doesn't feel that same desire.

Good luck.

• Like 2
whichwayisup

Don't invest anymore into him, it's just going to make it harder when the time comes you have to end it.

This is a deal breaker! He doesn't want children and you do.

It'll be hard to do and it'll hurt but better to end it now 4 months in vs 4 years from now.

• Like 2
I deserve to know whether this is a relationship worth investing in from the beginning. I just wanted to get some insight on what he actually meant by his words by people who have more experience and wisdom than I. :p

Well, you've got almost unanimous advice on what you should do. What happens next is down to you.

Someone who is unsure they want kids at age 30 is not going to change to wanting 4 kids and a large family. If he does change his mind, you are looking at potentially only 1 kid. If you are still adamant on dating him, you need to be mentally prepared to give up your goal of 4 kids. Realistically, 0-1.

Also, if you want 4 kids, you actually need to start looking for something serious like now. You don't actually have alot of time to hang around and try to see if someone changes their mind. The bioclock is a real issue. Decide by what age do you want to have your last kid and work backwards. Give yourself a deadline if you do decide to wait. Don't waste too much time on this guy because if you decide to move on later when both of you are more invested you would also need to factor in "down time" for heartbreak before you start to date again.

Well that's an interesting perspective. I never thought of it that way. I watch some popular vlogger who is in a marriage like this with two kids and I feel really bad for her. Of course I wouldn't want to end up in that situation. I wouldn't go through with marrying my bf in the future unless he developed a genuine interest in being a father.

He doesn't want kids. He's 30. You must respect that he is a grown man with his brain fully developed and knows what he wants and doesn't want. Look, you can hardly ever even change something SMALL about a man, much less something this basic and huge. So don't even delude yourself that it's possible. You are old enough to know that you can't love someone into changing their basic personality.

You said yourself he is annoyed to even talk about it. You want kids, and you need to find a father type and stop wasting your time here. There can never be peace on this subject, only resentment on both sides. Yours if you don't have them and his if you get pregnant, whether on purpose or not.

Edited by preraph
  • Like 2
  • Author
He doesn't want kids. He's 30. You must respect that he is a grown man with his brain fully developed and knows what he wants and doesn't want. Look, you can hardly ever even change something SMALL about a man, much less something this basic and huge. So don't even delude yourself that it's possible. You are old enough to know that you can't love someone into changing their basic personality.

You said yourself he is annoyed to even talk about it. You want kids, and you need to find a father type and stop wasting your time here. There can never be peace on this subject, only resentment on both sides. Yours if you don't have them and his if you get pregnant, whether on purpose or not.

Yeah but he said that he wasn't sure yet/needs time. How are you so sure that he actually doesn't want them?

newyorker11356
Yeah but he said that he wasn't sure yet/needs time. How are you so sure that he actually doesn't want them?

Because that often just means they don't really want kids - but are saying that to buy time.

And even if he really isn't sure yet/needs time, is that something you're willing to take a chance on and hope he changes his mind?

• Like 1