Valentine's day approaching...

LastStraw

It is the first Valentine's day for me and my BF - we started dating before 2018 Valentine's day, but got exclusive 2 weeks after that haha, so our real first one was more 'ambiguous' - in between friendly and romantic.

I want to make something for him this year - any good ideas. He's in his 40s and has ended a bitter marriage that lasted a decade, so he probably haven't celebrated Valentine's in a long while. He'd not be into chocolates and alike, and I'm not the greatest cook... Maybe someone can help me with simple salmon or steak based dinner? What else? Is gift appropriate? A card?

What have you done for your first valentine's day as a couple? What made it memorable?

GorillaTheater

Not knowing your boyfriend, it's a little difficult to say, but it's also difficult imagining going wrong with a ribeye (medium rare) and sexy time.

At least, those are my favorite gifts to receive , for just about any occasion.

• Like 2

7 pints of Stella and a large kebab always hits the spot and thats just what she wants....

I like a nice Jigsaw.....

• Like 2
  • Author

Ha he’s a carnivore big time so ribeye or kebab would do, I only need to figure how to prepare these. Potatoes and green salad work as sides or is this too basic?

He doesn’t drink though nor do I... I guess Coke is not too romantic as beverage but that’s all he drinks :D

Sex if course is part of the ‘menu’

Would you guys enjoy romantic gifts? I’m sure jigsaw is something he’d like, he basically lives in Home Depot lol, but I’m thinking something less practical for that day...

It's best to go low key for the 1st one.

A card would be nice. I'd get some chocolate because it's tradition . . . even just a small bag of Hershey's kisses. If he's the playful sort, boxers or brief with hearts on them. Something clearly silly.

One of the easiest things in the world to make is a roast chicken. Buy something called a vertical roaster. It's about $7.99. Get a whole chicken with one of those pop up things that tell you when it's done & take off the wrapping. Clean out the inside of the bird. Take a large pot or other clean container. Put the chicken in, then fill with water. Take the chicken out. Add a cup (yes a whole cup) of salt & 1/2 cup of sugar plus about 1/2 cup of lemon juice. Put the chicken back in the water & let it sit for at least 4 hours; longer is better. Take the chicken out. Pat it dry. Put some salt & pepper on the chicken & impale the chicken on the vertical roaster. Bake in a 350F oven for about 2 hours until the timer pops. Make mashed potatoes & open a can of green vegetables or steam some fresh vegetables.

Set a nice table. Light some candles. Add mood music. Wear something touchable with your best unmentionables underneath.

Give him the card at dinner & yourself for dessert.

• Like 2

To be perfectly honest, most of my V-day gifts to H have involved sexy fun times, lol. We tend to save the more PG-appropriate gifts for birthdays and Christmas.

• Like 3

Well i won`t talk about sex as that is between you both...

But... No i`ll leave that there.

But it`s nice you are making an effort.

Make a potato salad, use chives....

Everyone leaves the lettuce...

A gift... what about a quick game of spot the submarine?

I always liked a good practical jumper for such occasions.

Good luck!

• Like 1

IMO it's difficult to make a good steak at home if it's too cold to grill outside.

As for romantic non-alcoholic beverages . . . it's all about the glassware. Sparking water or ginger ale in stemware would be my suggestion.

• Like 1

I want to make something for him this year - any good ideas. He's in his 40s and has ended a bitter marriage that lasted a decade, so he probably haven't celebrated Valentine's in a long while. He'd not be into chocolates and alike, and I'm not the greatest cook... Maybe someone can help me with simple salmon or steak based dinner? What else? Is gift appropriate? A card?

We have never really done gifts for Valentine's Day -- we typically just go out to eat. And I get flowers.

There are a lot of simple recipes you can make, depending on what kind of food he likes. What does he like to eat? What does he typically order when you go out? Are you looking for a meat and a veggie side or something more? Steak is better on the grill, so if you are somewhere cold you might be better off doing seafood, chicken, pasta, or something else you can do inside (unless you have an indoor counter grill). Do you have cookware and kitchen supplies or are we working with minimal stuff?

• Like 1

"Simple salmon or steak" - if you aren't a good cook, you should avoid these. The fewer ingredients you use, the better your technique needs to be. It's very easy for novice cooks to mess up a good cut of meat, so if that's your plan you should start practicing now.

It really depends on where your cooking skills are. Can you roast a chicken evenly? Do you know how to identify al dente pasta? You could braise a nice cut of meat 9r some short ribs. Risotto takes a long time but is pretty simple and can be paired with a nice side salad. You can do mousse or cake ahead of time, which is handy.

If you really need your hand held, try something like Blue Apron or SunBasket. You can look for simpler recipes on ChefSteps, but those generally call for more refined technique. Serious Eats may also have some recipes you like, or I can PM you my favorites.

• Like 1
  • Author

He likes to eat basic food - chicken / steaks / fish with something on the side is what he always gets when we eat out or order in. He's better than me in grilling and I only have charcoal grill so it won't be easy in February...

I have some cookware but nothing fancy. Electric stove. I like Donnivains chicken recipe. I feel like anything complex I'll not manage to make... due to lack of skills, cookware or ingredients...

What does he like to eat? What does he typically order when you go out? Are you looking for a meat and a veggie side or something more? Steak is better on the grill, so if you are somewhere cold you might be better off doing seafood, chicken, pasta, or something else you can do inside (unless you have an indoor counter grill). Do you have cookware and kitchen supplies or are we working with minimal stuff?
  • Author

Count me as a complete beginner.

I mentioned salmon and steak because that's all he orders in restaurants so I am not sure if he'd like more complex meal but I see your point.

For even chicken roasting, is there any trick or it depends on the equipment?

Blue Apron is a good idea but it is subscription service... Or did they change it?

"Simple salmon or steak" - if you aren't a good cook, you should avoid these. The fewer ingredients you use, the better your technique needs to be. It's very easy for novice cooks to mess up a good cut of meat, so if that's your plan you should start practicing now.

It really depends on where your cooking skills are. Can you roast a chicken evenly? Do you know how to identify al dente pasta? You could braise a nice cut of meat 9r some short ribs. Risotto takes a long time but is pretty simple and can be paired with a nice side salad. You can do mousse or cake ahead of time, which is handy.

If you really need your hand held, try something like Blue Apron or SunBasket. You can look for simpler recipes on ChefSteps, but those generally call for more refined technique. Serious Eats may also have some recipes you like, or I can PM you my favorites.

We don't celebrate Valentine's Day.

But I'd make a nice meal and give him a card if I were you. Can't go wrong there.

• Like 1
  • Author

Ahha! Now I remember my mother roasting chicken on a bottle - same principle I guess

• Author
Valentine's Day is over rated.....but if you are looking for what to do, lingerie is the way to go.

Gosh, I love lingerie myself but it usually doesn't stay long for long enough to matter... Or does it?

Same principle. there is a version called beer can chicken. You pop open a beer then impale the bird on that. You can skip the brining part.

Just make sure you have a sturdy drip pan underneath. . . .One of the disposable aluminum jobs won't do it. The weight of the whole chicken & the flimsy pan . . . you will spill hot grease on yourself & spend Valentine's night in the burn unit. :eek:

• Like 1
Happy Lemming

I take the easy way out when I cook steaks....

Salt, pepper and two minutes on the "George Foreman" Grill...

I do the baked potatoes in the microwave.

I do the baked potatoes in the microwave.

do you prick them with a fork so that they don't explode?

It is the first Valentine's day for me and my BF - we started dating before 2018 Valentine's day, but got exclusive 2 weeks after that haha, so our real first one was more 'ambiguous' - in between friendly and romantic.

What have you done for your first valentine's day as a couple? What made it memorable?

What kind of things does he like?

Pinterest is a great place for recipes and all kinds of ideas! I seriously get all my outstanding recipes from there.

There isn't really any rule about Valentine's Day it's really particular to that couple. Not that you can't take advice, but I always find that if you're the one dating this man for over a year, you probably have a much better sense of him. When giving gifts or planning stuff I always start from what I know about the person rather than generic ideas that they may or may not like.

• Like 1

10 year bitter marriage.

Make a few subtle enquiries before you roll out the barrel to find he hates Valentines day due to triggers and bad memories...

• Like 3
Happy Lemming
do you prick them with a fork so that they don't explode?

Yes, scrub them with a vegetable brush, prick several holes in them with a fork and into the microwave on a microwave safe plate. Oddly, my microwave has a "Baked Potato" button. You just tell it, how many you are cooking and they come out perfect!!

• Like 1
Valentine's Day is over rated.....but if you are looking for what to do, lingerie is the way to go.

Nope, nothing at all is better :cool: