How important is GUY's social media when dating in 2018?

Curious-One

Curious-One

I am looking to date girls in their 20 to early 30s but i dont really use social media much...

I dont have instagram

I dont have snapchat

I dont have twitter

I have facebook with 200ish friends that i log into once per month for 30 seconds... i have not posted anything on facebook or uploaded any pictures in years.

So girls would you find a guy weird if he is not into social media. I had girls recently ask me for my snapchat and instagram and i didnt have either. She made a joke that i am old (i am 31) she was like 27 .

I've met a guy like you. He's 31 too actually!

I find it just slightly weird as I tend to think, what if he has a secret facebook account with a girlfriend listed? He's hot, though, and even people active on Social Media can hide girlfriends to a certain extent, so I'm risking it.

So people might be wary for that reason, but you can prove them wrong, I guess?

As long as you have a reason for it (Too busy working on my career, etc), I'm sure it won't be a big of a deal.

ExpatInItaly

Eh, people put too much stock into social media.

I'm a 37-year-old gal, and like you, I have a barely-active FB account. I don't have Instagram, Snap Chat, Twitter, or anything else. I don't care if other people are social media mavens, but it's just not that interesting for me.

If someone were to comment on my indifference to social media, I would know that they do put a lot more importance on it - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but not something we'd have in common. If someone were to discount you for your lack of online presence, well, they're not right for you anyway.

hippychick3

I would not find it weird at all.

I’d find it refreshing actually.

If a woman in her early 30s ditches you solely because you don't have Instagram or Snapchat... you dodged a bullet.

I'm 27, my boyfriend of six years is 37 who has no proper social media. He has a "fake" facebook account just as a form of news feed for updates on hobbies he's into.

I have a feeling that's becoming a bit old fashioned among millennial's these days though!

Versacehottie

I wouldn't find it weird. The guys I know that I think are the coolest have social media but they rarely post. I also think it's refreshing and gives you a true edge (i like it). If a guy is taking social media too seriously, I actually think he is lame and easily influenced which is not very masculine.

The only thing i can think of is that it will help you build a flirtation with a girl you know via some social media (or meet and exchange info for that). But than you still need to be careful to not like her stuff too much or look like you are stalking her in comparison to how much you post. So in a way it's almost easier to not really use social media if you don't naturally and just date in person. Plus do you really want a girl you like completely analyzing you and going from crush on you to over you in the span of 15 minutes from stalking your social media (trust me, i've been there several times when friends of mine have done that! sad but true).

idk, i think it's pretty sexy these days if a girl can't tell WTF you are up to every second. New intrigue. ;-)

• Like 1

I am not on social media and if I were single I would not be on it. It just does not appeal to me in the slightest.

If vetting dominates his demographic, no presence or a difficult to discern presence could work against him, all else being equal, especially if he uses electronic means to meet and interact with potential dates. If he's really attractive, shouldn't be an issue. He'll collect women in real life.

If vetting dominates his demographic, no presence or a difficult to discern presence could work against him, all else being equal, especially if he uses electronic means to meet and interact with potential dates. If he's really attractive, shouldn't be an issue. He'll collect women in real life.

Sounds sooo Eugene from the Walking Dead lol :)

I was vetted back in the 90's by my e-mail address, my exW checked my internet presence out before agreeing to meet me. Back then our usernames were our e-mail addresses. Social media, as today, didn't exist. It was mostly BBS, IRC, forums and newsgroups. Still, vetting went on. Now they check out job, income, social status, family ties, community activism, you name it, at least in my historical demographic. All else being equal, a guy not easily checked out will be at a disadvantage. Thinner dating pool. Men outnumber women. Very competitive.

Ruby Slippers

Personally, I'm impressed if he doesn't use social media accounts or barely uses them.

Although I have no social media sans LinkedIn, it has not really stopped me from dating and apparently has prevented drama in my life (listening to other FB users). In the OP’a age group though, I can see it helping his case.

That said, I have zero time or desire to share my every move with a bunch of internet friends. There would have to be some hard evidence to convince me it is worth investing the time.

Well I took a four years break from social medias at all and got back into it recently only for FB and IG. Not interested in twitter or Snapchat.

It did me good, spared me the usual dramas but truth be told after 4 years I was beginning to feel fairly isolated. Out of a sudden I created a new FB account in Sept 2017 and only have 50 friends on it. Most being well known and true friends of mine.

Regarding relationships, someone above is on the money, not being ''friends'' for an early relationship is refreshing. Unless you want to monitor your partner every moves.

That said, I also know some couples quite happy being on FB. Different strokes for.....

• Like 1
Versacehottie

yeah agree with Shanex! OP, if you have any inclination at all do IG, IMO, and post when you like if much at all. That leaves you open enough that people won't find issue with you relative non-participation and you can participate a little by liking some things here and there, collecting some friends and following some others that show what you are interested in. And gives you room to flirt a little.

But don't feel obligated because of what others are doing. One of the most attractive guy qualities is the guy that says F it and does what he wants. Even the ones who post on IG have that vibe (most attractive & intriguing ones).

• Like 1

I prefer not to use social media and prefer a GUY who is not into social media. So I don't think it should be a barrier! I think those who ask to follow you on Instagram or Snapchat want followers and pen pals. Better to talk in person and look at holiday photos together!