Back into the swing of things and OLD adventures

Mystyry

So I've been trying to dip my toes in the world of dating again after my break up a few months ago. I had a dormant OLD account that was deactivated and thought I'd start with that. Currently I am trying to decide if it's just the city that I live in, or quality prospects are just not dating online anymore. If nothing else, I figured I'd share it on here for entertainment.

My first date "back into the swing of things" looked so good on paper - well-spoken (or written, as the case may be), good job, educated, etc. In person, he looked a bit nervous, but first dates are awkward. I was certainly nervous being back on the dating scene. Seemed to hit it off, and an hour into the meeting, I suddenly notice he already had four drinks, in addition to two he mentioned he had while waiting for me. Towards the end of this date, he was slurrying his speech and cussing at the waitress, while telling me how great it was to meet me and asking me out for another date. Needless to say I hastily retreated and let him know the next day that it was great to meet him as well, but no second date.

Then most recently I am corresponding with again on-paper well sounding man. We talked about meeting, but our schedules are such that we won't be able to for another couple of weeks. In the meantime, we've been chit-chatting here and there, just checking in. I updated a few photos last night and he immediately texted me saying that he is surprised I am updating photos, when we already matched. I took it as a playful joke at first, because....well, we haven't even met yet, but his subsequent replies are now making me believe he was actually serious and kind of concerning.

Oh what an interesting world. I am placing bets on my own longevity on OLD this time. Thinking I may not last another week... :) Not sure if I should try to stick it out for a while??

Edited by Mystyry
Marley Rizzla
So I've been trying to dip my toes in the world of dating again after my break up a few months ago. I had a dormant OLD account that was deactivated and thought I'd start with that. Currently I am trying to decide if it's just the city that I live in, or quality prospects are just not dating online anymore. If nothing else, I figured I'd share it on here for entertainment.

My first date "back into the swing of things" looked so good on paper - well-spoken (or written, as the case may be), good job, educated, etc. In person, he looked a bit nervous, but first dates are awkward. I was certainly nervous being back on the dating scene. Seemed to hit it off, and an hour into the meeting, I suddenly notice he already had four drinks, in addition to two he mentioned he had while waiting for me. Towards the end of this date, he was slurrying his speech and cussing at the waitress, while telling me how great it was to meet me and asking me out for another date. Needless to say I hastily retreated and let him know the next day that it was great to meet him as well, but no second date.

Then most recently I am corresponding with again on-paper well sounding man. We talked about meeting, but our schedules are such that we won't be able to for another couple of weeks. In the meantime, we've been chit-chatting here and there, just checking in. I updated a few photos last night and he immediately texted me saying that he is surprised I am updating photos, when we already matched. I took it as a playful joke at first, because....well, we haven't even met yet, but his subsequent replies are now making me believe he was actually serious and kind of concerning.

Oh what an interesting world. I am placing bets on my own longevity on OLD this time. Thinking I may not last another week... :) Not sure if I should try to stick it out for a while??

I took a long break from dating after my break up as well. Once I decided I was ready to start dating, I found myself paralyzed at the prospect of putting myself out there again. Then I "discovered" OLD. Certainly easier for me and more secure. I've gone on a couple of dates with a few guys and even if it didn't click with everyone it's been fun being in the "mood" again. I'm looking to have some fun at the moment, date a few guys, focus on myself and what I really want. But until I figure it out, casual dating is fun.

• Like 1

[sigh] Seems like I keep 'introducing' myself to give people the context of my responses ... 64 y/o male, recently divorced, even more recently (9 months) 'back in the (dating) game', and happy with OLD because I'm meeting lots of decent, compatible women.

All that said, I keep hearing that women on OLD get dozens/hundreds of contacts from men. Okay - I hear that you've been unhappy for various reasons with the first TWO guys. TWO! Even I, working from the opposite end of the unbalanced gender game, have several 'potentials' left. It strikes me that for you (lady!) to give up is premature. Don't you have dozens of messages from guys still in your Inbox, let alone doing a search and picking yourself?

• Like 1
  • Author
I took a long break from dating after my break up as well. Once I decided I was ready to start dating, I found myself paralyzed at the prospect of putting myself out there again. Then I "discovered" OLD. Certainly easier for me and more secure. I've gone on a couple of dates with a few guys and even if it didn't click with everyone it's been fun being in the "mood" again. I'm looking to have some fun at the moment, date a few guys, focus on myself and what I really want. But until I figure it out, casual dating is fun.

Thanks for reminding me. You are right, being in the mood again is fun, even if the experience is not always satisfying. Getting to know people is always interesting and casually dating, while determining where you want to go.

• Like 1
  • Author
[sigh] Seems like I keep 'introducing' myself to give people the context of my responses ... 64 y/o male, recently divorced, even more recently (9 months) 'back in the (dating) game', and happy with OLD because I'm meeting lots of decent, compatible women.

All that said, I keep hearing that women on OLD get dozens/hundreds of contacts from men. Okay - I hear that you've been unhappy for various reasons with the first TWO guys. TWO! Even I, working from the opposite end of the unbalanced gender game, have several 'potentials' left. It strikes me that for you (lady!) to give up is premature. Don't you have dozens of messages from guys still in your Inbox, let alone doing a search and picking yourself?

You are very right. I shouldn’t complain at all. I guess in a perfect world, all the online prospects would be quality/dateable, and one would just need to find a compatible one. But it’s reality we live in and it’s up to us to go through the available ones and find a potential. Just a bit hard getting back into the game I guess. I really appreciate your response and positive outlook you’ve shared - that really helps.

OLD will definitely get frustrating. When I started looking at it as a way to see a new area, coffee shop or restaurant in the city with a future love prospect it made it much easier :) It took years but I did meet the best guy ever last year and we are going strong :bunny:

• Like 1
mortensorchid

*sigh* This is why I don't date anymore. You end up going out on a one time encounter with someone, good or not, and then you either never hear from that person again or they end up being crazy as hell. Nothing but one disappointment after another. OLD gives us a false sense of security - You think it will be so easy to meet someone (and yes, it is in terms of connections and chatting) but anything after should you meet the person is depressing as hell.

• Like 1
  • Author
OLD will definitely get frustrating. When I started looking at it as a way to see a new area, coffee shop or restaurant in the city with a future love prospect it made it much easier :) It took years but I did meet the best guy ever last year and we are going strong :bunny:

That's so great to hear. Thanks for sharing and for the encouragement. I know I need to keep trying and looking (and putting myself out there IRL as well), so it's great to hear things like this. I'll take it slow at first, and will try to keep the outlook more on the fun side of dating.

• Author
*sigh* This is why I don't date anymore. You end up going out on a one time encounter with someone, good or not, and then you either never hear from that person again or they end up being crazy as hell. Nothing but one disappointment after another. OLD gives us a false sense of security - You think it will be so easy to meet someone (and yes, it is in terms of connections and chatting) but anything after should you meet the person is depressing as hell.

Oh I know! You get energetic and excited about the possibility, and looking through all those profiles gets you feeling optimistic and then your bubble is burst. Not a fun feeling, and you are right - makes is seem deceptively easy to date on OLD, where as it really is not. And yet, trying to think whether it is still worth doing while taking it slow, because meeting right people IRL is not easy either...