A Date without actually it being a date.

ZA Dater

Here is a question, what actually is a date. How does it differ from going to lunch with a good lady friend, how does it differ from drinks?

Honestly as people don't we get 90% of what a relationship is by simply having good friends?

For someone as pathetic as me at dating I am starting to enjoy the above sort of alternative, its most of what dating is and its quite nice to do.

PegNosePete
Honestly as people don't we get 90% of what a relationship is by simply having good friends?

Well I don't own a house with friends, I don't have a joint bank account, I don't sleep every night with my friends and I don't kiss them when they get home form work and I don't spend almost all my free time with my friends.

Sure the initial stages of dating, going on a date might be 90% the same as meeting a friend. But if you're doing it right, then hopefully the date is leading to the above, whereas the friendship isn't.

• Author
Well I don't own a house with friends, I don't have a joint bank account, I don't sleep every night with my friends and I don't kiss them when they get home form work and I don't spend almost all my free time with my friends.

Sure the initial stages of dating, going on a date might be 90% the same as meeting a friend. But if you're doing it right, then hopefully the date is leading to the above, whereas the friendship isn't.

Well for me at least the first paragraph is pretty much impossible so the way I see it I get some of the same feeling, none of my lady friends are single so.

Nothing wrong with "companionship". I know a lot of people use this as an alternative to an actual relationship. No one assumes anything, no expectations to fulfill, keeping things simple, no pressure to take things to the next level.

Just be sure the person knows it's just friends so neither one of you gets any ideas that put off the other one. I mean, how is this different from having lunch with a guy friend? If it's no different, that's friendship. If it has undercurrents, you're dating and you better be careful of her feelings and try to follow at least a somewhat predictable dating path by progressing into intimacy gradually or quickly, as you see fit.

• Author
Just be sure the person knows it's just friends so neither one of you gets any ideas that put off the other one. I mean, how is this different from having lunch with a guy friend? If it's no different, that's friendship. If it has undercurrents, you're dating and you better be careful of her feelings and try to follow at least a somewhat predictable dating path by progressing into intimacy gradually or quickly, as you see fit.

Irrelevant here because she isn't single. It would be true to say she is a close friend and we do share a lot. I have walked alone forever so this is quite nice.

My lack of experience is also irrelevant in this scenario so I don't feel like I am carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders.

Well "date" is just a word and can have different meanings for different people so you'll probably get lots of answers and here's mine.

A "date" is not about where you go, what you do, or how long it is.

It's all about "intent" as in, what are you looking to get from it? If you're looking for it to grow into a relationship or at least uncommitted sex, then it qualifies as a "date".

If you're just meeting someone because you share similar interests, and it's all about being friendly with nothing else in mind then it's not a date.

Hope that helps!