Connecting with someone you know "in real life" on a dating app

lavenderandvelvet

lavenderandvelvet

So I am have an interesting situation going on right now.

TLDR: Do you match with people you know (and could be interested in) via online dating? Do you reach out to them? Via the dating app or other via other means?

The long version:

I started a new job a few months ago. I didn't get to have a last coffee/lunch with everyone because I ran out of time. One guy who I was in a work sponsored club with reached out and wanted to meet up over dinner to learn more about my new job. We had done the whole small talk thing over the year we worked together but not a lot of interaction.

I was curious about the politics on his team,, we didn't work on any projects together, but it seemed like there was a lot of turnover and I wondered if the themes were similar. I knew this would be a platonic dinner as he has a long-term serious girlfriend.

We went to dinner, talked about work, comer colleagues and found out we had some common interests. I remember thinking too bad he has a girlfriend, we had pretty good chemistry as I left. This was strictly friendly.

Flash forward a couple of months to now. I get a text from him. "Hey I saw you on a dating site. Me and my girlfriend broke up and I am moving to a new apartment."

We exchange a couple of texts, about his new job etc and talk about meeting up. I am on another site, I see him on it. I sent him a text mentioning I saw him, suggested something we could do together. He responded and wanted to connect later in the week. I debated on "liking" him on the dating app, and decided to, even though it felt silly since I obviously have his number.

Next thing I know, he likes me back and starts sending messages on the dating app. Which is sort of funny - as we already have details for each other.

So my questions for you:

1. Have you seen someone you actually know and could be interested in on a dating app?

2. Have you confronted them about it "in real-life"

3. Did match impact your behavior towards that person in any way?

CautiouslyOptimistic

So my questions for you:

1. Have you seen someone you actually know and could be interested in on a dating app?

2. Have you confronted them about it "in real-life"

3. Did match impact your behavior towards that person in any way?

Yes, my first ever match on Match.com was the roommate of my college boyfriend.....almost 20 years later! It was so random since neither of us live that close to our alma mater. I ended up reaching out to him and we emailed for several weeks, very long and detailed emails. I was shocked at how "deep" he was because I always just thought of him as a dumb jock. We finally ended up meeting for a date one night. We kissed after the date....absolute worst kisser ever, which is funny because he had told me on our date that his last girlfriend told him how bad he kissed and then HE told me he's horrible at sex lol! I think he was right. Haven't seen him since (I didn't reject him....we just fizzled out).

#2 & 3 don't really apply since I didn't actually see him in real life when I saw him on the dating site.

Last summer my girlfriend and I were at a bar and met two guys we hung out with all night. She was using a dating site at the time and the one guy saw her on there and messaged her. I don't think they ended up going out, but she did see him out again, at the same bar, at a later date. I don't think she acted any different, but they really did not have a "history" so to speak.

So that's my only input :). I'm not dating right now.