He is too short

Amy In Clouds

Amy In Clouds

I would like to think I am not a shallow person, but... the only thing I have when it comes to guys is that I want them to be either taller than me or at least my height (I am 175 cm tall). I think this is because I am not the skinniest girl out there and I would like my guy to be bigger than me in some respect.

I met this really sweet guy, I don't want to say we hit if off instantly because I tend to adapt to people, kind of losing track of whether he actually suited each other or I just made myself think so - but he is shorter than me by at least 5 cms. And it doesn't look good and I don't feel good walking next to him. He also kind of agreed with everything I said which was a bit of a turn off. He texted me after our date telling me he really liked me an he hopes to see me again.

I responded with we will keep in touch. Then he texted me again today asking me how I was. My mum says I am very picky with guys and I don't want to throw away something potentially really good because of 5cms, but it bothers me. Please help.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Paragraphs
newyorker11356

Let the guy go.

It's obvious this is always going to bother you while with him. Not like the guy can change his height.

• Like 5
Redguitar35

I mean, yeah, it's shallow. You're judging these dudes on external things that are outside their control, instead of what kind of person they are on the inside. I once dated a girl who was a whole two inches taller than me (I'm 6 feet). I didn't care, I thought she was hot anyway. On the plus side, it seems many women have this hangup over height. I went out on a date with one woman who kept asking how tall I was, which was weird. But, yes, it's shallow.

heavenonearth

He agreed with everything you said... or maybe you two are just compatible and you are looking for other excuses to not date him so you won’t feel guilty for finding him too short being the only reason why you won’t date him?

I know what you mean about it not feeling good.

I dated a short guy once. He was about 3-5 cm smaller than me.

It didn’t feel right.

But he also was a complete dumb idiot as it turned out.

So that helped.

But yeah, i would say give him a second date and if you still feel weird about it, tell him you are unfortunately not interested in pursuing this any longer and walk away.

Happy Lemming

I'm 6' 1" tall, which is 185cm... I only ran into this problem once when I dated a woman who was also 6' 1" (185 cm); her whole family was VERY tall!!

She used to wear tall heels so she could "tower" over me. I didn't like it, at all. I think she should have wore flats, but it was a "power" thing for her. I broke it off fairly quickly after a few dates.

In the end, the heart wants what the heart wants... If this shorter gentleman is not what you want, then move on...

NEXT!!

• Like 2

You’re a bigger gal. There are many men who prefer petite women and won’t date you. At 170cm, this guy is not short. He is only too short for your taste. He’d have no problem finding attractive smaller women to date. So don’t feel bad rejecting him. He’ll be fine. How did you not know his height before you went out with him?

This is an extremely common thing. For a man I think beig tall is more of an advantage in the dating world than being kind, smart, or funny.

I am 188cm tall so I can date all but the very tallest women. A recent gf was 180cm tall. She said she doesn't date much. I asked why because she is gorgeous. She told me she gets a lot of attention from men but they are always married or shorter than her and she cannot date anyone shorter than her.

• Author
Amy In Clouds
You’re a bigger gal. There are many men who prefer petite women and won’t date you. At 170cm, this guy is not short. He is only too short for your taste. He’d have no problem finding attractive smaller women to date. So don’t feel bad rejecting him. He’ll be fine. How did you not know his height before you went out with him?

That is what I was thinking. I am slightly bigger and I am sure I have got turned down because of it at times. Well... I wanted to see how much shorter he actually was in real life. And not only is he short, his frame is really small, so it just doesn't feel right at all. I don't feel feminine, he doesn't seem masculine enough. I have dated guys my height and that was ok but this guy is overall just smaller than what I would like him to be. Also, he only told me how tall he was right before we decided to meet. On his dating profile he stated his height was 180 cms.

If you were attracted to him his height wouldn't bother you. Aside from that, you've always gotta watch out for Short Guy Syndrome with men who are lacking height. I found they were often either too loud, or felt they had to do the tough guy thing, to compensate for the lack of height. Having some short dude squawking and hopping up and down in public is way more annoying than their shortness.

• Like 2
That is what I was thinking. I am slightly bigger and I am sure I have got turned down because of it at times. Well... I wanted to see how much shorter he actually was in real life. And not only is he short, his frame is really small, so it just doesn't feel right at all. I don't feel feminine, he doesn't seem masculine enough. I have dated guys my height and that was ok but this guy is overall just smaller than what I would like him to be. Also, he only told me how tall he was right before we decided to meet. On his dating profile he stated his height was 180 cms.

Lied on profile.

Behaves passively.

You do not feel feminine because of his smaller stature.

Three strikes and you are out.

Next!

• Like 2

She used to wear tall heels so she could "tower" over me. I didn't like it, at all. I think she should have wore flats, but it was a "power" thing for her. I broke it off fairly quickly after a few dates.

This is really odd. Did she actually tell you that she wanted to tower over you? Never heard of something like his.

As a tall women who has been taller than my dates, I've worn heels not so I could tower or for power, but because I liked to wear heels.

• Like 2
Happy Lemming
This is really odd. Did she actually tell you that she wanted to tower over you? Never heard of something like his.

As a tall women who has been taller than my dates, I've worn heels not so I could tower or for power, but because I liked to wear heels.

She was an odd duck to begin with... She drove a lifted truck with a customized license plate that referred to her height. Everything had to be big, tall and over the top with this woman.

No. she didn't tell me she wanted to tower over me, but would get close to me and try to look down on me (at least that was my perception).

In addition, she was a bit uncoordinated. She was lanky and walked funny, like she was stumbling all the time. Flats would have been so much better, but she felt the need to wear these tall heels.

No big loss... She really wasn't much fun and talked about her ex-boyfriend a lot on the few dates we had.

newyorker11356
If you were attracted to him his height wouldn't bother you. Aside from that, you've always gotta watch out for Short Guy Syndrome with men who are lacking height. I found they were often either too loud, or felt they had to do the tough guy thing, to compensate for the lack of height. Having some short dude squawking and hopping up and down in public is way more annoying than their shortness.

True, but height does play a factor in attractiveness.

Also, he's 170cm, which is about 5'7. That's not short, but average height.

You need to end it with this poor guy but certainly don't tell him it's his height. That would be like a guy saying "I like you but your boobs are too small and I don't like the shape of your butt so I'm going to have to move on."

PS- I never realized how lucky I am to be 6'1". I can't imagine having to deal with rejection from women based upon height. That being said, he was wrong to lie about his height. What was he thinking?

• Like 1
newyorker11356
You need to end it with this poor guy but certainly don't tell him it's his height. That would be like a guy saying "I like you but your boobs are too small and I don't like the shape of your butt so I'm going to have to move on."

This. Just say something like you're not feeling it, or don't think you're compatible.

And don't even bother with a 2nd date. It's not like his height will magically change on it.

happyhusband0005

You're not that tall, 175cm is a little below the height of the average man. So your odds are good of finding a great guy at least a little taller than you.

Also the vast vast majority of people base initial dating choices on physical attraction so this is very very normal.

Also most guys I know would prefer a woman at least a little shorter than them. Especially given heels. So you should not feel guilty or shallow for feeling this way.

• Like 2
She was an odd duck to begin with... She drove a lifted truck with a customized license plate that referred to her height. Everything had to be big, tall and over the top with this woman.

No. she didn't tell me she wanted to tower over me, but would get close to me and try to look down on me (at least that was my perception).

In addition, she was a bit uncoordinated. She was lanky and walked funny, like she was stumbling all the time. Flats would have been so much better, but she felt the need to wear these tall heels.

No big loss... She really wasn't much fun and talked about her ex-boyfriend a lot on the few dates we had.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: So, what was it that first attracted you to this uncoordinated, lanky, stumbling, height-obsessed woman who drove a truck and droned on about her ex?

• Like 2
:lmao::lmao::lmao: So, what was it that first attracted you to this uncoordinated, lanky, stumbling, height-obsessed woman who drove a truck and droned on about her ex?

Was wondering the same - she sounds awful!

Happy Lemming

When I met her she was wearing tennis shoes, as we were both into the same sport. In tennis shoes, she seemed to carry herself OK, it was when she put on these tall heels, that she couldn't walk in a coordinated manner.

I have no idea why she felt the need to talk about her ex-boyfriend so much on our date. I think she was trying to get back with him and using me to possibly make him jealous, thinking he would come running back, but I don't know. Maybe she wanted a sounding board to listen to her problems with the ex. Either way, it was in poor taste.

I chalked the first date up to nerves and wanted to give her a second chance. After the 3rd - 4th date, I had enough and didn't see her again.

We only dated about a month.

We all make mistakes... This was one of mine.

Edited by Happy Lemming
newyorker11356
When I met her she was wearing tennis shoes, as we were both into the same sport. In tennis shoes, she seemed to carry herself OK, it was when she put on these tall heels, that she couldn't walk in a coordinated manner.

I have no idea why she felt the need to talk about her ex-boyfriend so much on our date. I think she was trying to get back with him and using me to possibly make him jealous, thinking he would come running back, but I don't know. Maybe she wanted a sounding board to listen to her problems with the ex. Either way, it was in poor taste.

I chalked the first date up to nerves and wanted to give her a second chance. After the 3rd - 4th date, I had enough and didn't see her again.

We only dated about a month.

We all make mistakes... This was one of mine.

Talking about her ex-boyfriend THAT much on the 1st date? That would have been the last date for me.

If a woman talks about her ex to that extent, it most likely means she's not over him.

Happy Lemming
Talking about her ex-boyfriend THAT much on the 1st date? That would have been the last date for me.

If a woman talks about her ex to that extent, it most likely means she's not over him.

Yes.. I was A LOT younger then and a bit stupid when it came to women.

Lesson learned!!

Oh, he lied on his dating profile! I dated a shorter man, but I met him in real life, and he kind of grew on me before I agreed to go out with him. It’s hard to get used to it, especially when you kiss and you need to go down instead of up. And you’d need to buy a whole new set of flat shoes.

I am 1.75 and I always hated women who blocked me because I was 2 or 4 cm shorter then they are.

Until I dated a girl who was 1.8m.

My height didn't bothered her at all since she never wore hills but even on flats she was taller.

It was so uncomfortable for me that I had to brake up with her after few dates.

Height is some thing you can't change so the best thing to let him go.

On his dating profile he stated his height was 180 cms.

So he said he was a whole 10 cm taller??

Sorry but that's kinda ridiculous. Tell him exactly why.

If a girl said she was 170 and turned up 180 I'd call her on it immediately.

• Like 2