Are users on Bumble/Tinder active?

max3732

I signed up for Bumble about a week ago and am considering trying Tinder. I've gone through a lot of different profiles and basically swipe right on anyone who looks like we'd have a chance of matching.

As I was going through I found the profile of a woman I knew who recently got married. I'm assuming this profile is from over a year ago or her husband probably wouldn't be very happy about it. Obviously I found seeing her extremely surprising.

It doesn't really show anywhere how it finds matches other than the filter you specify and there isn't anything for activity date. Could it be showing me people that haven't been active in years?

heavenonearth

A friend wrote to me a few months back and asked why I am on bumble, since I have a boyfriend and all. He sent me a screenshot of my profile there.

I told him that I had deleted the app about half a year earlier.

Turns out my profile was still up, even though the app was deleted from my phone.

So I downloaded the app again, deleted my profile, deleted the app again.

My friend then said that he could not see me anymore.

So yeah, some of these apps have weird algorithms and you actually need to delete the profile and not just the app.

But I am sure a lot of married people are on it as well.... :p LOL

• Like 2
A friend wrote to me a few months back and asked why I am on bumble, since I have a boyfriend and all. He sent me a screenshot of my profile there.

I told him that I had deleted the app about half a year earlier.

Turns out my profile was still up, even though the app was deleted from my phone.

So I downloaded the app again, deleted my profile, deleted the app again.

My friend then said that he could not see me anymore.

So yeah, some of these apps have weird algorithms and you actually need to delete the profile and not just the app.

But I am sure a lot of married people are on it as well.... :p LOL

Heavenonearth, that is really interesting what happened with your profile.

OP: I was just wondering the very same thing as you and had googled this topic just this week, and everything I read indicated that tinder only shows users who have been active in the past 7 days. The reasoning given was that tinder users would be very unhappy with the app if the app shows inactive users who never respond, and would stop using the app. What I read is that tinder is very protective about its algorithm and it's hard to tell anything about a person's activity by the order of potential matches that come up in the card deck, but it makes sense to me that tinder would not want to show a bunch of inactive users, in general.

• Like 1

BTW deleting the app from your phone in no way deletes your profile. That has nothing to do with the algorithm, you actually have to delete your profile if you want it gone. I don't think I fully read that part of your post earlier. :)

• Author
Heavenonearth, that is really interesting what happened with your profile.

OP: I was just wondering the very same thing as you and had googled this topic just this week, and everything I read indicated that tinder only shows users who have been active in the past 7 days. The reasoning given was that tinder users would be very unhappy with the app if the app shows inactive users who never respond, and would stop using the app. What I read is that tinder is very protective about its algorithm and it's hard to tell anything about a person's activity by the order of potential matches that come up in the card deck, but it makes sense to me that tinder would not want to show a bunch of inactive users, in general.

That's good to know about Tinder! I haven't downloaded it yet, but am definitely thinking about it. Any idea about whether Bumble only has active users? I wish it told you about how many people have actually looked at your profile.

heavenonearth
BTW deleting the app from your phone in no way deletes your profile. That has nothing to do with the algorithm, you actually have to delete your profile if you want it gone. I don't think I fully read that part of your post earlier. :)

It is still a weird algorithm that it shows a profile that has been inactive for over half a year to its users.

• Like 1

I know Bumble has a lot of fake profiles so I wouldn't be surprised if they threw in old profiles to look like it has more active users than it does.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Tinder did the same since they started charging for services, including seeing who likes you before you swipe. I have heard a lot of people saying they don't get matches as they used to (some saying they get zero matches even if they swipe on everyone) and I think it is because they are banking on people becoming frustrated with getting no matches and paying for extra services. It works bc I have friends and coworkers who pay/have paid 29.99 per month to see who swiped right on them first.

• Like 1
It is still a weird algorithm that it shows a profile that has been inactive for over half a year to its users.

I agree and your experience indicates that what I read online about tinder not showing inactive profiles means the people posting that are wrong (and definitely gives me food for thought about someone I know who is appearing in my tinder queue who I thought wasn't dating. Now I'm really wondering what is up in that case...).

TheFinalWord
I signed up for Bumble about a week ago and am considering trying Tinder. I've gone through a lot of different profiles and basically swipe right on anyone who looks like we'd have a chance of matching.

As I was going through I found the profile of a woman I knew who recently got married. I'm assuming this profile is from over a year ago or her husband probably wouldn't be very happy about it. Obviously I found seeing her extremely surprising.

It doesn't really show anywhere how it finds matches other than the filter you specify and there isn't anything for activity date. Could it be showing me people that haven't been active in years?

Sounds like she did not delete the app.

Bumble can also be use to connect with friends and business associates. One is called Bumble BFF and the other Bumble Biz...

That’s not weird, that’s business. The more people who are on it the more people will get on it. You have no idea of knowing how active someone is so you swipe away - the more profiles the better for them.

The way bumble works is it front loads the most swiped profiles first. That means the people you see initially are usually the most attractive. If you are one of those people you will get more matches. I think it also front loads new users so you are likely to get more matches in the early days.

As you swipe you will begin to see less attractive people until you get to a point where you throw your phone down in disgust.

What’s interesting is if you leave it for a couple of days your matches seem to go up. I think they bump up your profile in order to get you matches so you come back but it could be coincidence.

Tinder seems to delete or hide profiles due to inactivity. I stopped using it and it hid my profile. Good because the women on there were a lot less appealing.

Tinder seems to delete or hide profiles due to inactivity. I stopped using it and it hid my profile. Good because the women on there were a lot less appealing.

How could you tell that your profile was hidden?

I got an alert on my phone from the app

What was the alert? [i'm very curious about tinder as you can tell.]