Men get more satisfaction from their friendships than from dating

The Urbanyst

I agree, friends are the bedrock of your social life, especially the best bud who you can call at 3am to get you out of situations.

But is it any different for women?

It's a study done with second year college guys. I would not call them *men* yet.

Once you're a man, that you need to work hard to put bread and butter on the table, when you have a mortgage to pay, you have your second child on the way, you have your parents getting older and needing attention, THEN lets see where their Bromance is on their list of priorities.

• Like 1
  • Author
It's a study done with second year college guys. I would not call them *men* yet.

Once you're a man, that you need to work hard to put bread and butter on the table, when you have a mortgage to pay, you have your second child on the way, you have your parents getting older and needing attention, THEN lets see where their Bromance is on their list of priorities.

Its not about "priorities" is about who men ENJOY spending time with more.

Its the FUN factor. Its not the "who can help me out" factor.

Hate to tell you this, but it's probably similar for many women...

There is a great saying... "Husbands may come and go, but girlfriends are forever." Indeed, there is some truth in that saying...

• Like 1

I would tend to agree, having listened to how men grumble and groan once they finally get away from the house to go golfing or whatever.

It's still there, because you ultimately need each other for all kinds of support. You simply cannot rely on a romantic relationship alone. I've seen men go through divorce who didn't have friends to fall back on, and it's brutal.

Not very representative of ALL men though

The group was homogenous, to be sure; besides all being straight college students, all but one of the men were white, and all had a sports-related major

and

Men in the study sometimes referred to their girlfriends using sexist or disdainful language

OK, so men who don't really like women or feel superior/inferior to women...

Is it thus any surprise that they were happier in the company of other men?

• Like 1
It's still there, because you ultimately need each other for all kinds of support. You simply cannot rely on a romantic relationship alone. I've seen men go through divorce who didn't have friends to fall back on, and it's brutal.

There is a difference between a friendship and a bromance. I did not say men didn't need friendships, we all need friendships, women or men. What I am saying is 'bromance' take a back seat when real life hits. A bromance are 2 men doing the exact same thing as a gf-bf except they are not romantically involved, ex: they travel together, spend their prime-time together, etc. The type of things college guys can do.

Its not about "priorities" is about who men ENJOY spending time with more.

Its the FUN factor. Its not the "who can help me out" factor.

A bromance is a close, emotionally intense, Platonic bond between two men.[2] It is an exceptionally tight affectional, homosocial male bonding relationship exceeding that of usual friendship,[3][4] and is distinguished by a particularly high level of emotional intimacy.[2][5]

A bromance is more than a regular guys friendship. To keep a tight affectional bond and an emotional intimacy you need time spent together, a lot of prime time and it's usually something married men don't have much.

Like I said the study was done with college kids, lets do it again with 40 year old men and see if bromance is that important. Friendship yes, it's importance but a bromance demands lots of time and investment.

Edited by Gaeta
  • Like 1
Cookiesandough

I agree with Gaeta. When you get to be a certain age binge drinking with your friends every night, playing video games all day, and calling women 'sloots' stops being a cute "he'll grow out of it" and starts being sad.

Edited by Cookiesandough

I have had so many of my male friends that felt that they had to confine with me because they couldn't be emotionally satisfied by talking with their male friends about their problems.

They felt they they couldn't be vulnerable with their friends, especially when they came to breaking up with a girlfriend. Most of their male friend either try to distract their friends or tell them to man up.

There has to be an emotional dissatisfaction with men that women do not have, because women normally can express their emotions with their friends without being judged.

Now a female love interest brings in a whole set of issues.

oK, so men who don't really like women or feel superior/inferior to women...

Is it thus any surprise that they were happier in the company of other men?

Exactly this. Likewise, I have no doubt a woman dating this type of man would enjoy her friends more as well.

A bromance is a close, emotionally intense, Platonic bond between two men.[2] It is an exceptionally tight affectional, homosocial male bonding relationship exceeding that of usual friendship,[3][4] and is distinguished by a particularly high level of emotional intimacy.[2][5]

A bromance is more than a regular guys friendship. To keep a tight affectional bond and an emotional intimacy you need time spent together, a lot of prime time and it's usually something married men don't have much.

Like I said the study was done with college kids, lets do it again with 40 year old men and see if bromance is that important. Friendship yes, it's importance but a bromance demands lots of time and investment.

Very true. I have heard conflicting things about bromances and many men even look down upon them as weak and unmanly. At least some of the male friends that have confined in me have told me so. Which is why some of them tend to struggle with being open with their emotions with other men. For some men, having a female friend to confined in makes the difference