Dating A Man Not Into Sports?

Soccer1986

How many ladies would still date a man who is not into any sports? Or do you consider it a red flag? I'm one of the few men in America who has no interest in watching football or playing any sports whatsoever. In fact I find the topic about who won the last football game rather boring. I don't know how to play football and have no desire to learn.

I am an ex jock. You name the sport and I played it and probably made the all star team too. I was the first one picked when I was not doing the picking. I attracted a lot of girls into alpha guys, especially when I got back from a year of combat overseas. My wife told me flat out that the major reason, other then love, that she married me was that I made her feel safe and protected.

As for guys not into sports, I knew a lot of them. I was in the classes for gifted students. There were only two of us into sports out of the entire class. I was there on a scholarship because my folks could not afford the private school tuition. I was raised to play sports as soon as I was able to at age 8. My dad was into sports and played softball for money against other local teams. He never paid any attention to my A's on my report card but he took notice of my athletic accomplishments.

I did very well for myself, but most of those guys not into sports did better. Money and/or brains attracts women too. :) It is said that beta men make good husbands, but alpha men make better lovers. Is that true? Maybe. My wife shared me with her best friend who is married to a beta male. He is OK with sharing his wife with me, but I was never told why. Our girlfriend got her beta husband and an alpha lover. I do not think many women would place sports high on their list. Many place a sense of humor at the top of their list. I have read this and even overheard this among a group of women talking about what kind of man they are looking for to marry. Being into sports will be important to some girls but not many just as looks and other differences.

I am an ex jock. You name the sport and I played it and probably made the all star team too. I was the first one picked when I was not doing the picking. I attracted a lot of girls into alpha guys, especially when I got back from a year of combat overseas. My wife told me flat out that the major reason, other then love, that she married me was that I made her feel safe and protected.

As for guys not into sports, I knew a lot of them. I was in the classes for gifted students. There were only two of us into sports out of the entire class. I was there on a scholarship because my folks could not afford the private school tuition. I was raised to play sports as soon as I was able to at age 8. My dad was into sports and played softball for money against other local teams. He never paid any attention to my A's on my report card but he took notice of my athletic accomplishments.

I did very well for myself, but most of those guys not into sports did better. Money and/or brains attracts women too. :) It is said that beta men make good husbands, but alpha men make better lovers. Is that true? Maybe. My wife shared me with her best friend who is married to a beta male. He is OK with sharing his wife with me, but I was never told why. Our girlfriend got her beta husband and an alpha lover. I do not think many women would place sports high on their list. Many place a sense of humor at the top of their list. I have read this and even overheard this among a group of women talking about what kind of man they are looking for to marry. Being into sports will be important to some girls but not many just as looks and other differences.

Maybe it is an American thing but in the UK that is not the case at all. My ex was not into sports at all but was still very much alpha as you like to call it.

Guys I dated since, majority not really into sports...few liked football and a couple golf but it was not a big deal.

OP majority of girls it should not be a problem but I don't know if the culture different where you live?

I welcome a man who does not sit in front of the TV to watch some silly men running after a ball :)

Very glad my guy is not into any of that.

He prefers getting on a bicycle and cycling through the country for a whole weekend with his friends. That's much more attractive, thank god!

• Like 2

I've never dated anyone massively into sports, most people I've been in relationships had a passion for music, not sport.

I've dated a few guys who didn't appear to have a passion for anything and I seemed to become their hobby/passion which is a bit too much pressure to put on a person IMO.

I'd expect a man to have hobbies.

• Like 1

I think it is a myth that most women like men who are into sports.

The reality is often that men get obsessed by "sports" and spend all their time doing it or watching it or talking about it, which becomes very boring for most women, unless they are also interested in the same sport.

• Like 3

Hi Soccer1986,

Personally, for me, it makes no difference whatsoever.

I think that in a relationship each party should have their own individual interests/hobbies, as well as activities that they can enjoy together - whatever those activities may be.

For me, it is far more important to find a partner that is kind, caring, honest, faithful etc. regardless of what their interests are.

thefooloftheyear

Ive known and met tons of guys over the years and while some have casual interest in sports, others are rabid,and some in between.....But I can't say that I've ever known a guy that had absolutely zero interest in ANY type of sports at all..That' might be considered somewhat off...I dunno...

And think of this,...Most if not all guys in a social setting or family gathering will like to discuss current sporting events...What would a guy like that do in that type of environment?? Stand in the corner??

I don't think its necessarily a red flag for a woman, but I think what another previous female poster mentioned could be an issue...The aspect that now he smothers the woman and sucks the life out of her...That might be a concern..

TFY

• Like 1

I think it depends on whether the person you're dating is into sports or not.

I'm a gym fanatic. I go to the gym very regular and have a healthy lifestyle.

I dont date guys who are not doing any sport (doesn't matter what type of sports) for 2 main reasons:

1) I find men who dont do sport not physically attractive (No muscle no love hahaha)

2) The lifestyle difference - When you're into sports, often that means you're committed to a healthy lifestyle. This is very important to me.

• Like 1
I don't think its necessarily a red flag for a woman, but I think what another previous female poster mentioned could be an issue...The aspect that now he smothers the woman and sucks the life out of her...That might be a concern..

TFY

Ok but just because he is not into sports does not mean he does not have any other hobbies and interests...

...not all families discuss sport either, some have no interest whatsoever.

• Like 3

If you're not into sports, why is your name here "Soccer1986"?

Anyway, I've only dated men who are athletes, but they weren't rabid fanatics. Just normal and I prefer them for various reasons.

Edited by Popsicle
  • Like 3
CautiouslyOptimistic

Anyway, I've only dated men who are athletes, but they weren't rabid fanatics. Just normal and I prefer them for various reasons.

LOL I wondered the same thing!

I prefer to date men who like sports. Not "super fans" but I like the camaraderie that goes along with "football season" or having a particular favorite team. My ex-husband wasn't really into watching sports on TV--he preferred to be playing them--and that was fine, too.

• Like 1
I think it depends on whether the person you're dating is into sports or not .

From what I've seen, not all women are into men who are into sports but I think you would be very hard-pressed to find a woman who is attracted to a man who is less athletic than she is. In fact I think the quickest path to midlife relationship doom is when the wife starts hitting the gym regularly and the husband doesn't keep up.

• Like 1
  • Author

Because at the time I created this name I was looking over pictures of me holding a trophy for a soccer tournament I won in 1986. My parents enrolled me in sports at 6 years old. I never liked it. Glad I don't have to worry about it now.

• Like 1

My husband is not a sports guy. Before the "big games" I have to tell him who is playing so he doesn't get lost in the conversations with other guys or at work. lol

We have the following compromise in our house:

1. He attends Super Bowl parties with me. He doesn't watch the game just socializes which he's fine with

2. He had to learn not to talk to me inside the two minute warning when my college alma mater -- a Big 10 school -- is playing. As a joke I also told him that on game day he may not wear the other school's colors. I was kidding but on Fridays he does make a point to ask what color he is not supposed to wear on Saturday. I certainly wouldn't stop loving him or divorce over something so trivial.

3. When I occasionally get tickets to my alma mater's games he attends. That happens about once every 5 years so not a huge sacrifice.

Because I sometimes need to be around sports fans, he is open to going to bars to watch my team play & he's even become OK with going to the local alumni association watch parties. Those are a little harder for him because there are no non-sports fans. In regular bars he can find others who don't care. Sometimes I go to the alumni events alone or with a friend. He even agreed to wear a jersey this year. He can appreciate the party around the event.

I also "watch" the games via FB & phone with my BILs who are deeply into sports. DH is happy that they take up the slack & he can ignore me & my screaming at the TV for 4 hours.

It's not a red flag at all. Many women don't care about sports so they are happy to find a man they don't lose to a team.

If the woman you are with is a fan, find a way to accommodate her but don't think your preference is a bad thing.

• Like 1

I don't watch sports or care about sports. I'll "support my team," as a regional thing, but I just don't care. I don't care if my guy doesn't like sports. It's a non-issue for me. In fact, it's kind of nice that weekends don't focus around such sports, and grabbing a drink (most have sports on TV) doesn't cause a division of focus. I'm not interested in hanging out for sports as a weekend activity with friends. I've dated men who are heavily into sports, and it dominates. I've dated men in the middle, and men who take the time once in awhile for big games.

Overall, I don't care. If they are sports fans, as long as it's not a dominating factor, great. If they don't care, I'm happier about that. Really it comes to a balance when your SO is very heavily interested in sports or another interest, and some compromise.

I would not consider lack of interest in sports a red flag. If YOU are into sports, then you need to find a balance with someone who is not, or find someone who equally enjoys the activities.

How many ladies would still date a man who is not into any sports? Or do you consider it a red flag? I'm one of the few men in America who has no interest in watching football or playing any sports whatsoever. In fact I find the topic about who won the last football game rather boring. I don't know how to play football and have no desire to learn.

This only matters if the partner is really interested in sports. I am not an avid sports fan, but for soccer! Yah, baby! I was on the varsity team for soccer, tennis, wrestling. Not bad in basketball and football as a middle schooler, but realized everyone else was growing taller while I was not. Lol. Anyway, played soccer up until my late-30s and continue to be very fit and athletic. Trying to find a tennis partner right now. I was always in honors classes, AP classes, so freely and comfortably mingled with every 'group' in my school. But, I don't ever recall dating an athletic girl. The girls I've dated were okay with sports, but were equally fine without. I watched soccer and still do and frequent some of the local professional matches, but not really into other sports. The women in life would indulge and some have now become soccer fans, but sports, I believe, is not that important for most women.

I should also like to point out that I have know some men who are not into sports, but are athletic. Are you like that? My own son is wicked athletic, but couldn't care less about the sporting world. He likes to ride his scooter at hyper speed, doing tricks and hiking up tall mountains. But he has NO interest in watching any sporting event or engaging in one... so far.

I don't think it's that important at all. Also, I don't think is has anything to do with being American.

Ive known and met tons of guys over the years and while some have casual interest in sports, others are rabid,and some in between.....But I can't say that I've ever known a guy that had absolutely zero interest in ANY type of sports at all..That' might be considered somewhat off...I dunno...

And think of this,...Most if not all guys in a social setting or family gathering will like to discuss current sporting events...What would a guy like that do in that type of environment?? Stand in the corner??

of her...That might be a concern..

But even superficially browsing the sports section of the daily newspaper solves that problem for me. You can truly get by with relatively little effort in that regard. I like to work out, I even like live sporting events, but watching sports in TV is like watching paint dry for me.

From a dating perspective it has never been an issue.

• Like 3
WaitingForBardot

Not at all into traditional team sports. It never affected my ability to find/keep partners, even sporty ones.

One of my favorite memories: Listening to my dad and wife watching the superbowl in the front room and wondering out loud how they had gone so wrong with me! ..lol..

There is a difference between playing sports and watching sports. I've seen many balding men sit around yelling at a TV with such passion their beer bellies jiggle. I can promise you most women don't find that attractive and it's got nothing to do with being alpha.

I could care less about sports and it has not impeded my dating at all. I stay in shape which helps.

Women who are into watching sports don't do anything for me. I'm ok with it I guess as long as they aren't making idiots out of themselves and rioting and flipping cars when their team wins / loses.

• Like 1

Love it! I personally can't stand guys obsessed with group sports or watching sports in general... I tolerate it if it is a hobby but barely :D The guy that I wanted to date last attracted me big time with his sports aversion :cool:

• Like 1
From what I've seen, not all women are into men who are into sports but I think you would be very hard-pressed to find a woman who is attracted to a man who is less athletic than she is. In fact I think the quickest path to midlife relationship doom is when the wife starts hitting the gym regularly and the husband doesn't keep up.

I hit the gym regularly, train for half-marathons, and go to Crossfit. I can't even remember the last time my boyfriend stepped foot in the gym. And I couldn't care less. I'm with him for who he already is. I've never cared that he's not athletic.

In regards to the OP's question, my current boyfriend and my last boyfriend have zero interest in sports. Their disinterest didn't affect my attraction for them at all. I'm a huge fan of the NBA. And when I want to go to a game, I just go with friends who are into basketball, too. No big deal.