Interracial Dating- Pakistani boy/American Girl

kaseyh25

I am an American girl and for the last year and a half I have been dating a Pakistani guy. He has been in the States for about a decade and while I have met many in his friends group and met his sort of "surrogate" family- the family that sponsored his citizenship. I still haven't met his father or brothers (his mother passed away a couple of years ago). I know the cultural differences and that Muslim guys are not really supposed date so I understand why I haven't met them but now his father is coming for a visit to the US and he is talking about having me meet them. Does this mean he is considering marriage if he is talking about me meeting his father, I am not really sure how to approach the topic with him.

I am Hindu, but I can understand the Muslim culture as well. I think he probably is considering marriage or a serious relationship. It is very difficult with most muslim or hindus to get to marry outside of their own culture/religion. For him to introduce you to his father, its a pretty big deal. Unless he introduces you as just a friend ofcourse...but even then, it can lead to eventually getting to his girlfriend or the girl he will marry.

Michelle ma Belle

Knowing that introducing you to his father is a pretty big deal in terms of the seriousness of your relationship, how do you feel?

How long have you been dating? Has marriage or any kind of future together ever come up in conversation before this?

• Author
Knowing that introducing you to his father is a pretty big deal in terms of the seriousness of your relationship, how do you feel?

How long have you been dating? Has marriage or any kind of future together ever come up in conversation before this?

We have been together for 1 1/2 now. We discussed marriage more in the beginning of the relationship when we sort of discussed kind of our expectations with a relationship but we haven't really discussed it since then. I am very much in love with him and do want to be with him. I guess since it has been so long and I haven't met his family yet its suddenly making me really nervous about the prospect of meeting them. Also I am a bit nervous to what there reaction will be to me, given the fact I am white, not Muslim, and I have been divorced.

• Author
I am Hindu, but I can understand the Muslim culture as well. I think he probably is considering marriage or a serious relationship. It is very difficult with most muslim or hindus to get to marry outside of their own culture/religion. For him to introduce you to his father, its a pretty big deal. Unless he introduces you as just a friend ofcourse...but even then, it can lead to eventually getting to his girlfriend or the girl he will marry.

Yeah, I am pretty nervous to meet them to be honest. I am very happy with him and want our relationship to progress, naturally, but at the same time I am terrified they wont like me and worry about the strain it will put on our relationship if they dont.

Michelle ma Belle
We have been together for 1 1/2 now. We discussed marriage more in the beginning of the relationship when we sort of discussed kind of our expectations with a relationship but we haven't really discussed it since then. I am very much in love with him and do want to be with him. I guess since it has been so long and I haven't met his family yet its suddenly making me really nervous about the prospect of meeting them. Also I am a bit nervous to what there reaction will be to me, given the fact I am white, not Muslim, and I have been divorced.

Fair enough and completely understandable.

Has he ever talked about his family's expectations in terms of who he dates and marries?

Regardless, it does seem appropriate to revisit that conversation sooner rather than later.

As for how to start the conversation, I think letting him know that you're nervous and why would be a great ice-breaker for the 'marriage talk' 2.0 ;)

Good luck!

This is kinda like that other thread on this same topic.

I've seen a lot of Muslim guys dating and marrying non-Muslims, but the girl almost always has to convert to his religion. I guess to please the family, and even the guy usually also prefers it, no matter how liberal and "western" he seems.

So it's up to you if you're willing to do that

• Like 1