"Best Place to Find Marriage Material Gentlemen" - SF Bay Area

RecentChange

:laugh:

Saw this article today and had to share. We have talked on this board how local demographics can help or hinder your dating success - well the results are in!

Listen Up, Single Ladies! San Francisco Named Best Location to Find Marriage Material Gentlemen: Report

From the article:

Females seeking the "ideal" man — a gentleman is his 30s, college educated, never married and proud owner of a 40-plus hour work week — are most likely going to find their "Prince Charming" in San Francisco compared to any other of the nation's largest cities.

Not to be outdone, San Jose finished in second place on Trulia's "Best Places to Find Marriage Material Guys" list.

And a bit about "Man Jose":

Does San Jose Deserve the Nickname ‘Man Jose’?

you’ll find a big difference among single people in their 20s and 30s. According to the 2015 American Community Survey, in this group there were roughly 134 men for every 100 women in San Jose. That’s a big disparity!

As someone who splits their time between SF and Man Jose - I have to say, there are a lot of successful, and available men here. Go out to a bar and you have to practically beat them off with sticks :lmao: Wedding ring be damned, if I dare walk up to the bar solo to order a drink, I am probably getting passed a phone number.

Any way, you ladies in the south (high single female ratio) or small towns. If you can hang with the rat race (highest cost of living in the country here) we do have lots of available men.

• Like 2

According to one economist's work that I looked into, gender ratios alone can have a huge impact on relationship behavior. When looking at some highly female dominated universities, monogamous relationships were nonexistent. It was just the culture. Women voiced it as the norm that a guy would have several girlfriends at once. It didn't matter if a girl didn't like it. If she dumped him, there were 3 women waiting to take her place. :love:

I was considering the Bay area for some high paying jobs, and my moderately liberal tilt (turns out I'd probably be flogged for being sensibly balanced). But it was the high male:female ratio that really made me decide to not move there. I'm not moving where women get to be ridiculously picky and demanding because there are 2 men for every woman.

Interestingly, the demographics gradually shift as you head to the east coast with places like New York being the polar opposite to San Francisco. While, Middle America is quite gender balanced.

Further, since women also judge men on education and career, a successful man could clean up in places like Memphis and Atlanta. The gender ratio isn't as highly skewed, but there is a huge lack of "suitable" men who have a degree and good career. Add in the fact that so many black men are/were incarcerated which further eliminates male competition.

So yes, picky women looking to tie a man down, head to The Bay! We'll probably cross paths as I head east. We can always share a hotel room for a night. :laugh:

• Like 1
JuneJulySeptember

Gentlemen seeking Trulia's definition of the "ideal" woman — a lady in her 40s, graduate degree in hand and locked into a stable career with 40-plus work hours on the weekly agenda — should focus their attention on the Washington D.C. suburb of Silver Springs, Maryland, the report indicated.

:sick::sick::sick:

Interesting topic. I remember when I got out of the army in 1987, I could go anywhere I wanted to. Soooo, I used the world almanac and looked up places that had a gender ratio more to my liking. I also looked at the unemployment percentage, and moved to Manchester NH. Within two weeks, I had a girlfriend, and a nice paying job.

I remember reading about the ratio out west, and all you hear about on the east coast when it comes to California, are the girls. I kind of chuckled looking at the ratio, especially San Diego. All that opportunity to make money, and what it amounts to are a huge populations of rich bachelors. I remember reading a story about a young millionaire who signed up for a dating site for millionaires....and he couldn't get a date.

Out here in the northeast, things are different as someone mentioned. You aren't going to make the money you're making out there, but you have to decide what you want in life. For me, I put a very high value on a good relationship. I'm in one right now, and I have never been this happy in my entire life. Whats weird, I am inspired by love now...I used to eyeball roll at people gushing about love and affection. Not that I didn't prize that, I always did, but once you've experienced true love, all other relationships look hollow, artificial. I love all that mush and kissing, hand holding, saying I love you all the time. Marriage is something I even look at differently - I am grateful to have lived to experience this.

To the point, if love is what you're seeking, you might have to give up money and move to a place to even the odds. I agree with pogostick.

We also have good Mexican food here. Just saying.

Start a woman-importing business and you'll have it made.

• Like 1
  • Author
Guess I know where I'm going on vacay in April :) plus weed is legal. Damn wish I was American right now lol.

:lmao: you know..... Boy if I was single, I would be a kid in a candy store. Lots of good looking available guys here. And in my experience they aren't the type looking for an arm piece, but rather a lady who has a career, education and ambition like they do.

As for the weed, currently you still need a "medical card". But it's pretty tollerated, common place to see people smoking in public.

SF is beautiful in the spring, end of the rainy season and before the summer fog starts rolling in.

Eternal Sunshine
Did the author also note that a large portion of these men are socially awkward tech nerds? :laugh:

That's exactly my type :love:

Sadly, zero of those where I live.

• Author
I thought most of the men populating that area are gay....

Perhaps true for the Castro district of San Francisco, but MOST? No no no, far from it. The bay area has 7 million people, we have room for some gay guys, and lots of straight guys.

San Jose is not a LBGT hot spot like SF is, the tech industry is the driving force for the gender disparity in the area.

Start a woman-importing business and you'll have it made.

Okay! Great idea!

I need to devise a plan to lure the little pretties into my trap first, and then it's going to be $Cha-ching$

• Like 2
:lmao: you know..... Boy if I was single, I would be a kid in a candy store. Lots of good looking available guys here. And in my experience they aren't the type looking for an arm piece, but rather a lady who has a career, education and ambition like they do.

As for the weed, currently you still need a "medical card". But it's pretty tollerated, common place to see people smoking in public.

SF is beautiful in the spring, end of the rainy season and before the summer fog starts rolling in.

Oh I thought it was all legal in Cali now? :( lol

That's the type of lady I am :) I'm coming SF!

• Like 1
Perhaps true for the Castro district of San Francisco, but MOST? No no no, far from it. The bay area has 7 million people, we have room for some gay guys, and lots of straight guys.

San Jose is not a LBGT hot spot like SF is, the tech industry is the driving force for the gender disparity in the area.

Lexington Ky is actually the gay capital lol

JuneJulySeptember
I thought most of the men populating that area are gay....

San Francisco, much like Manhattan, is losing almost all of its former character and becoming a yuppie haven.

San Francisco's gay culture is dying | The Daily Dot

Same goes with the Village in Manhattan.

When apartments cost $3500 a month, you tend to lose a bit of that.

In terms of places to find wealthy singles, the best cities are...

New York

San Francisco

Washington DC

Seattle

You could probably walk into a bar in some of those cities and everybody makes six figures and is under 30...

Men who use Match.com and live in Manhattan and SF probably have to make 100K just to even buy in to the game...

Edited by JuneJulySeptember

There are a lot of Bay Area people here. :)

There are a lot of "available" men and they are definitely on the prowl in the city. Not sure they are quite out for marriage though.

And the tech guys, many of them are not necessarily the most confident with women and often they don't put themselves out there.

San Francisco, much like Manhattan, is losing almost all of its former character and becoming a yuppie haven.

San Francisco's gay culture is dying | The Daily Dot

Same goes with the Village in Manhattan.

When apartments cost $3500 a month, you tend to lose a bit of that.

In terms of places to find wealthy singles, the best cities are...

New York

San Francisco

Washington DC

Seattle

You could probably walk into a bar in some of those cities and everybody makes six figures and is under 30...

Men who use Match.com and live in Manhattan and SF probably have to make 100K just to even buy in to the game...

As a native, this is sadly true :(

Did the author also note that a large portion of these men are socially awkward tech nerds? :laugh:

I work and socialize in that demographic. That's also the dating pool of my last few BFs. :laugh:

Oh I thought it was all legal in Cali now? :( lol

That's the type of lady I am :) I'm coming SF!

It was passed but it hasn't gone into effect yet.

I work and socialize in that demographic. That's also the dating pool of my last few BFs. :laugh:

It was passed but it hasn't gone into effect yet.

Do you know when it does?