In what situation is it socially acceptable for 19 year old to date a 17 year old?

Joshuachasseur

It's not unacceptable as long as it's legal in your part of the world. The guys being about 3 years older is pretty standard when you're dating at that age.

Where I grew up, it would be illegal and you'd go to jail. There was a hard line of 18, no exceptions. Also, in the entire United States, any sort of sexting or pictures could get get you a hard 20 years in the slammer. If you lived in a state where it was illegal and traveled to another state where it was legal to see her, you would be breaking several federal laws. It would also be against the law if you were in a position of power, like a counselor or teacher and she was a student.

Check and double check the laws before you do this, but there's nothing immoral about it.

• Author
Joshuachasseur

By socially acceptable, I mean if it's something normal/common, not really legal.*For example, a 25 year old can date an 18 year old legally, but it's also seen as a kinda weird due to the age gap and the fact that the 18 year old could still be in HS. As well, for example a 17 year old dating 20 year old is a bit odd due to a three year age gap being significant, at least to me. I was wondering what category a 19/17 relationship would fall in.

I'm saying it's socially acceptable and extremely common anywhere I've ever been, but you still need to make sure you are obeying the law.

Socially acceptable is irrelevant to the federal court system. That's what should matter to you. What other people think isn't that important when it comes to being a registered sex offender or going to prison for the rest of your life. It's a really dangerous game to play in the United States. You'd get in less trouble for murder in a lot of situations.

Edited by HereNorThere
It's completely normal and acceptable, but the western world made it illegal for wrong reasons.

To be fair, it's not illegal everywhere in the western world by far. I grew up in a southern state with strict, conservative rules. A lot of states have "Romeo and Juliet" clauses that allow people within a certain number of years to date. Others have pretty low ages of consent (probably too low.). And that's just the U.S. Other countries are way more liberal when it comes to this.

I'm saying it's socially acceptable and extremely common anywhere I've ever been, but you still need to make sure you are obeying the law.

Socially acceptable is irrelevant to the federal court system. That's what should matter to you. What other people think isn't that important when it comes to being a registered sex offender or going to prison for the rest of your life. It's a really dangerous game to play in the United States. You'd get in less trouble for murder in a lot of situations.

This...

I worked with a guy that dated a 16 year, junior in high school when he was a 19 year old freshman in college. Her folks found out, had enough sexting evidence to press charges and he's now a registered sex offender.

I was a 20 year old sophomore in college and dated a 17 year old senior in high school. Her dad found out about it and told me to go away or he was going to press charges. I tucked my tail in a hurry.

Some states don't care while others will string you up for it.

I started dating my ex when I was 15 and he was 19. Basically a four year age gap. We were together for 3 years; it was only up until 5 months ago we broke up. It was totally okay with my family when we started dating and most of my friends didn't really mind. Make sure that wherever you're living it's legal; where I live the legal age is 16, but alot of places are 18.

If you're looking at it morally I guess it just depends where you live. That age gap in the western world is completely common and fine.

Depending on which part of the world you are. You can either be thrown in jail or have a society where it's more acceptable.

My opinion is that I see nothing wrong with it. 19-17 is close enough. I would be concerned about a 60 yo with a 17 girl though.

its fine. i was the same. him 17 and me 19. i got a lot of negative feelings from my family but once you are together for a while, it got better for me. Age is just a number to me. No one else thought it was wierd.

Where I'm from, age of consent is 14, 16 if the older person is in a position of power.

My boyfriends when I was a teenager were:

me- 14 - him - 18

me 15 - him - 22

me 16 him- 25

me 16 him 17

me 17 him 23

All of those were perfectly acceptable. My family met most of those boyfriends and never had a word to say. a 17 year old dating a 19 year old would not receive a second glance.