Does anyone pay to use dating apps?

kolleamm

Apps like Hot or Not, and Tinder. In Hot or Not you have to basically pay to message most people.

I'd love to buy some points so I could message more people but then again...there's free OLD sites out there like Okcupid.

So does anyone out there spend money in OLD apps and has it been worth it?

I did thinking it would help.

Truth is it didn't and was a waste of money.

Don't bother. The results are still the same regardless of what the apps say.

• Like 6

I thought it would help me weed out the people looking for just sex or who were not serious but it didn't work that way at all.

I thought it would help me weed out the people looking for just sex or who were not serious but it didn't work that way at all.

And I thought I would get more people looking for sex and not anything serious, and that didn't work either! :)

• Like 1

It's not worth it. I think most of the people on those apps aren't really seriously looking for someone. There are some, but it's a minority and you have to be lucky to get a match with one of them. It can happen, but you shouldn't pay for something with odds like that.

I would just stick with the free versions, and maybe pay a "normal" dating site.

• Like 1
And I thought I would get more people looking for sex and not anything serious, and that didn't work either! :)

Damned if you do and damned if you don't! At least I found a good supplier of rubber cat suits... just in case I ever need one, and I also discovered that some of those fetishes that I thought were a bit mad are actually real...

In all honesty I found that PoF worked best for me. Once I got my head round that I didn't have to respond to everyone and that I didn't have to explain to the idiots who wrote "fancy a f***" in their opening message why it was inappropriate it actually worked the best of the lot.

I suspect numbers has something to do with it.

Larger numbers of people in one place meant that there was a larger range of people all of whom were different therefore I was more likely to meet someone I matched with...

Gr8fuln2020

I've had the greatest luck with Eharmony, so, yes I have paid. It was a one time deal. A date or two from Match and others like POF, OKC. But, I will not go back to paying again. In the end, the non-paying seem to be about the same as paying, but with more "false-positives." :rolleyes:

I found that PoF worked best for me. Once I got my head round that I didn't have to respond to everyone and that I didn't have to explain to the idiots who wrote "fancy a f***" in their opening message why it was inappropriate it actually worked the best of the lot.

Guys do actually do that??!!

I guess there is an element of trolling going on on PoF - I can't imagine that tactic is too effective for any guy.

SwordofFlame

I pay for Tinder to get the ability to swipe right on everyone without any limits. Heck, I'd even pay a little more if they added the ability to automatically swipe right on everyone. :laugh: If anyone is wondering, I only get a few matches per day, so what incentive is there to not swipe right on every woman. :laugh:

WhirlwindGuy

I did; paid for POF and Match. The one person that I met that seems to be the best match and the most real chance at a long term relationship came from Tinder....... :laugh:

I would say its probably not worth it.

• Author

Makes sense.

How about POF vs OkCupid?

Does POF really have more people? If that's the case then it may be better than Cupid, even though I still hate the layout of the page.

Guys do actually do that??!!

I guess there is an element of trolling going on on PoF - I can't imagine that tactic is too effective for any guy.

I have PM'ed you a rather fine example. You have to combine the message with the profile. The message isn't so bad but then you read the profile and wow...

There is another very creepy one that I keep coming across - can't be bothered to look but if I find it I will PM it to you...

The example I sent you is not unusual at all...

Hence why we women get so disheartened so fast.

Makes sense.

How about POF vs OkCupid?

Does POF really have more people? If that's the case then it may be better than Cupid, even though I still hate the layout of the page.

Some and some.

I found both went in waves. Sometimes one was better then a few months later the other would be better.

• Like 1

The best thing about paying is the website extra's it may get you, not the quality of people per se.

On both POF and OKCupid paying allows an additional measure of privacy. You can browse others profiles without them knowing you browsed them. You can also see when and if they've read your email.

I usually use pay sites, or pay for upgraded membership. But then again, I have boatloads of internet subscriptions for all types of stuff and just love to nickle and dime myself to death :)

I paid for match....$70 for 3 months!!! It was honestly the worst $70 I've ever spent!

Match was full of overweight guys, Dads, unattractive guys and older men in their 40's and 50's....not knocking these men but they just werent what I was looking for

Despite the money I paid...I didnt even get 1 date from match! Whereas I got lots from okcupid and pof.

The guys on the free dating sites seemed to be more my type except the ones that just wanted sex...and there was lots of those

Toodalo is correct, paid dating sites have the same people from free dating sites just less of them...really horrible selection

I will never pay for a dating site ever again

• Like 4
SwordofFlame
I paid for match....$70 for 3 months!!! It was honestly the worst $70 I've ever spent!

Match was full of overweight guys, Dads, unattractive guys and older men in their 40's and 50's....not knocking these men but they just werent what I was looking for

Despite the money I paid...I didnt even get 1 date from match! Whereas I got lots from okcupid and pof.

The guys on the free dating sites seemed to be more my type except the ones that just wanted sex...and there was lots of those

Toodalo is correct, paid dating sites have the same people from free dating sites just less of them...really horrible selection

I did try Match for 6 months and what I noticed was that the demographic skewed significantly older. I'm in my late 20s and had far more options on pretty much any of the free apps.

• Like 1
I did try Match for 6 months and what I noticed was that the demographic skewed significantly older. I'm in my late 20s and had far more options on pretty much any of the free apps.

I feel the same. I just turned 30 and would like to date a guy a few years older than me but not a guy in his 40's or 50's. I even had men in their 60's and 70's messaging me! I also had really unattractive/overweight guys messaging me and it drove me nuts

I dont need a male model...I'll take an average looking guy with a big heart any day. I actually prefer guys who arent super good looking... as these types tend to be jerks

I'm just going to be 100% honest here. I'm far from an ugly girl. I'm a 9/10 but I dont use my looks to justify being a b*tch like some woman do. But when I got men who were clearly out of their league messaging me it drove me crazy...I call it "internet balls" Guys who would never have the balls to approach me in real life have no problem messaging me on the internet. I never say anything mean or rude. I dont say anything. But its like...come on...be realistic

• Like 2

Probably cause us old folk ---where's my cane --- are used to paying for things :)

• Like 1
Probably cause us old folk ---where's my cane --- are used to paying for things :)

Lol thats a fair point BikerAccnt :D

CryForNoOne

I'd tend to agree. The free sites have a lot of riff-raff because, well, they are free. That said, from the small sample size of my friends, the guys who get dates regularly all used free apps like Tinder, OKC, and POF. The desperate guys all pay to use Match and eHarmony. Even though its a small $ amount, it just seems guys who can easily get dates would never pay for the privilege...

• Like 1
I'd tend to agree. The free sites have a lot of riff-raff because, well, they are free. That said, from the small sample size of my friends, the guys who get dates regularly all used free apps like Tinder, OKC, and POF. The desperate guys all pay to use Match and eHarmony. Even though its a small $ amount, it just seems guys who can easily get dates would never pay for the privilege...

Yup I agree. I think people believe that if they pay for a dating site they'll have better results. I honestly feel bad for alot of guys when it comes to OLD. It must sucks to message girls and not here back and never recieve messages either.

But I think these guys...who cant get dates on free dating sites...need to be more realistic about who they message...maybe think about whos not in their leauge and who is. I think they'd have better luck messaging woman of equal attractiveness

• Like 1
CryForNoOne
I'm just going to be 100% honest here. I'm far from an ugly girl. I'm a 9/10 but I dont use my looks to justify being a b*tch like some woman do. But when I got men who were clearly out of their league messaging me it drove me crazy...I call it "internet balls" Guys who would never have the balls to approach me in real life have no problem messaging me on the internet. I never say anything mean or rude. I dont say anything. But its like...come on...be realistic

EXACTLY! From the male perspective, I think OLD skews the curve really badly in the opposite direction. I was just lamenting a few days ago on these forums about how I can almost guarantee that I can walk into a bar and get a phone number and a date with a girl who is an 8/10. If I see 5 girls during the night that I'm interested in, odds are pretty high I'll connect with one of them. Yet online, I'd have to swipe hundreds of profiles just to get 5 matches, never mind getting a response once I message them. Per minute, my time spent is 10x as effective in bars then on my phone or in front of a computer. What this screams of, is that those women, who most guys would NEVER have the balls to approach in a bar, are now inundated with hundreds of messages - so I get drowned out. I'm a good looking guy, I'd say 8/10 but I don't stand out if I'm buried in a sea of 200 messages. All these guys with "Internet balls" are ruining it for everybody by drowning out suitable matches with their "white noise"...

• Like 1
  • Author

Sticking to the real world seems to be the best option. It's really not that hard to just give someone a "Hey" and a smile.

• Like 1
EXACTLY! From the male perspective, I think OLD skews the curve really badly in the opposite direction. I was just lamenting a few days ago on these forums about how I can almost guarantee that I can walk into a bar and get a phone number and a date with a girl who is an 8/10. If I see 5 girls during the night that I'm interested in, odds are pretty high I'll connect with one of them. Yet online, I'd have to swipe hundreds of profiles just to get 5 matches, never mind getting a response once I message them. Per minute, my time spent is 10x as effective in bars then on my phone or in front of a computer. What this screams of, is that those women, who most guys would NEVER have the balls to approach in a bar, are now inundated with hundreds of messages - so I get drowned out. I'm a good looking guy, I'd say 8/10 but I don't stand out if I'm buried in a sea of 200 messages. All these guys with "Internet balls" are ruining it for everybody by drowning out suitable matches with their "white noise"...

I think its great you know how to strike up a convo with a woman IRL. I feel like men dont pick up women anymore...gone are the days of men actually having the confidence to approach women. Men dont try to pick me up ever....but I'm not at bars alot either. The only time I go to bars is when I'm on a date. Sometimes I think it would be interesting to go to a bar by myself and see what happens. Thats actually something I want to do...work up the nerve to walk into a bar by myself...I'm alittle hesitant but I want to try it. My friend's husband says men are intimidated by my looks and thats why I dont get picked up. I wish more men could be like you and just go for it. I'm really friendly and have no problem carrying on a convo...I'd make it easy for a guy to say hi. When I decide to date again I'm going to try to avoid OLD for as long as possible...but I have to put myself out there...I just dont really how...men are scared of me apparently lol

Sticking to the real world seems to be the best option. It's really not that hard to just give someone a "Hey" and a smile.

Very good point kolleamm. I just dont think alot of guys have the balls to smile and say hi anymore. Its a shame

• Like 1