Need Ideas for a *Birthday* Date

I'm meeting up with my bf tomorrow night for my 30th birthday and I need some advice on what to do for a date

I dont want to him to have to pay for all of it because he just took me on a weekend trip but I only have $45 to contribute. I also dont want to put all the pressure on him because we've only been dating for 2 and a half months and I just recently told him I want to go out instead of stay in

I dont want to do the usual dinner type of date...I want something more fun

We dont live near the beach unfortunately

Anything that invloves drinks is great

We're meeting up at 8pm

I would really appreciate any ideas! Thanks! :)

What do you both like to do? What are your hobbies? What's going on in your area?

We have free outdoor concerts, free outdoor film festivals, free water sports, etc. where I am. Lots of free summer stuff. What's going on in your neighborhood?

I'm meeting up with my bf tomorrow night for my 30th birthday and I need some advice on what to do for a date

I dont want to him to have to pay for all of it because he just took me on a weekend trip but I only have $45 to contribute. I also dont want to put all the pressure on him because we've only been dating for 2 and a half months and I just recently told him I want to go out instead of stay in

I dont want to do the usual dinner type of date...I want something more fun

We dont live near the beach unfortunately

Anything that invloves drinks is great

We're meeting up at 8pm

I would really appreciate any ideas! Thanks! :)

Do you live near an amusement park? Those are always fun....

Or how about a comedy club? Or an improv club! Might definitely need a few drinks before that though... lol

• Author
What do you both like to do? What are your hobbies? What's going on in your area?

We have free outdoor concerts, free outdoor film festivals, free water sports, etc. where I am. Lots of free summer stuff. What's going on in your neighborhood?

Do you live near an amusement park? Those are always fun....

Or how about a comedy club? Or an improv club! Might definitely need a few drinks before that though... lol

I hate to admit it but until recently I was kind of boring lol. I have allowed myself to be really caught up with school for the past 2 years...tunnel vision.... so I never used to go out alot.

I stopped drinking for a long time and recently just started having a drink or two so I've been out of the adult night life/social scene for a long time.

I dont know any free events in my area. I tried going on groupon but there was nothing that fun on there except day time events.

I feel like I need to get creative but I'm having a hard time coming up with something

I hate to admit it but until recently I was kind of boring lol. I have allowed myself to be really caught up with school for the past 2 years...tunnel vision.... so I never used to go out alot.

I stopped drinking for a long time and recently just started having a drink or two so I've been out of the adult night life/social scene for a long time.

I dont know any free events in my area. I tried going on groupon but there was nothing that fun on there except day time events.

I feel like I need to get creative but I'm having a hard time coming up with something

So I guess that means the amusement park, comedy club or improv club are out then?

And the free concerts?

Dis, do some research, google free concerts (in your area).

We have newspaper here called The Reader that has a whole bunch of activities to do in my area.

Most other cities have similar. The newspapers are free and you can usually find at your local market.

You need to be pro-active here. We have given you suggestions but you still don't seem to want to explore anything.

I luv you girl... but you don't seem that motivated. Would you rather HIM plan something?

That does make sense since it IS your birthday after all. It would be nice.

Edited by katiegrl
  • Author
So I guess that means the amusement park, comedy club or improv club are out then?

And the free concerts?

Dis, do some research, google free concerts (in your area).

We have newspaper here called The Reader that has a whole bunch of activities to do in my area.

Most other cities have similar. The newspapers are free and you can usually find at your local market.

You need to be pro-active here. We have given you suggestions but you still don't seem to want to explore anything.

I luv you girl... but you don't seem that motivated. Would you rather HIM plan something?

I've been googleing things for the past hour....just havent found anything yet

Didnt see your amusement park idea...can you drink at those??? If so....that would be fun!

• Author
Would you rather HIM plan something?

I would rather he planned it but...

1). We've only been dating for 2 and a half months...maybe he wouldnt know what to plan

2). I just told him like 2 hours ago I wanted to go out instead of stay in. I also said I wanted to go to dinner....havent told him I want to do anything else yet

1). We've only been dating for 2 and a half months...maybe he wouldnt know what to plan

2). I just told him like 2 hours ago I wanted to go out instead of stay in. I also said I wanted to go to dinner....havent told him I want to do anything else yet

Yes they sell beer at amusement parks.

Or what my ex and I used to do was bring our own booze... We would make screwdrivers or vodka and grapefruit and put it in an OJ bottle....

We were kind of mischievous that way though, once we went to a hotel for drinks and dinner and then crashed a wedding that was going on!

Told people we were friends with the groom... we were dancing, mingling around, super fun!

• Like 2
losangelena

Not to generalize, but most men are not great planners. I don't think there's anything wrong with telling him explicitly what you want to do and letting him arrange it. But c'mon, you're two months in, let's check those expectations.

Also, I don't think you need to strive for "interesting" or "creative." I think just being genuine about what you want to do is fine. No need to kill yourself trying to think of something. If you had your druthers, what would tomorrow evening look like?

Seriously, it's alright. It shouldn't be this complicated.

• Like 3
  • Author
Not to generalize, but most men are not great planners. I don't think there's anything wrong with telling him explicitly what you want to do and letting him arrange it. But c'mon, you're two months in, let's check those expectations.

Also, I don't think you need to strive for "interesting" or "creative." I think just being genuine about what you want to do is fine. No need to kill yourself trying to think of something. If you had your druthers, what would tomorrow evening look like?

Seriously, it's alright. It shouldn't be this complicated.

No it shouldnt be...I'm over thinking again lol. I just texted him that I have $45 for tomorrow night and want to do something more fun than dinner but I'm having a hard time finding something fun...he's trying to figure something out now

• Author
Yes they sell beer at amusement parks.

Or what my ex and I used to do was bring our own booze... We would make screwdrivers or vodka and grapefruit and put it in an OJ bottle....

We were kind of mischievous that way though, once we went to a hotel for drinks and dinner and then crashed a wedding that was going on!

Told people we were friends with the groom... we were dancing, mingling around, super fun!

Lmao! Thats awesome! I know you kiss him Katie....my heart goes out to you. I know what its like loving someone thats too sick to love you back in the way you need to be loved. Not to get off topic here but I love ya girly and I know you did the right thing.

I would have no problem sneaking something in. So thats def an option I'll keep in mind

Lmao! Thats awesome! I know you [m]iss him Katie....my heart goes out to you. I know what its like loving someone thats too sick to love you back in the way you need to be loved. Not to get off topic here but I love ya girly and I know you did the right thing.

I would have no problem sneaking something in. So thats def an option I'll keep in mind

Thanks love, that means a lot!

Yeah I still miss him... :(

But like I said in my thread (and others convinced me of too) that ship has sailed. Can't go back.

Moving forward, always strive to move forward.

I tend to think you should let him decide what to do, but...

Eat pizza at home then go to the fanciest restaurant in town for a fancy dessert and a cocktail.

I concur with the other suggestions about looking for free concerts, movies in the park, etc. Go to your city and neighboring city websites. They usually have event calendars.

Is there a cute city with a neat downtown area near you? Go wander around and get appetizers and drinks and dessert at a few different places.

It's really hard to make suggestions with no idea where you live. Are you in a big city, suburban area, rural area?

• Like 3
  • Author
I tend to think you should let him decide what to do, but...

Eat pizza at home then go to the fanciest restaurant in town for a fancy dessert and a cocktail.

I concur with the other suggestions about looking for free concerts, movies in the park, etc. Go to your city and neighboring city websites. They usually have event calendars.

Is there a cute city with a neat downtown area near you? Go wander around and get appetizers and drinks and dessert at a few different places.

It's really hard to make suggestions with no idea where you live. Are you in a big city, suburban area, rural area?

I told him I was having a tough time finding something fun to do.

He said, "Hmmmm let me think"

Then after awhile I said, "Think of anything?"

He hasnt replied yet. Maybe he fell asleep

So lets hope he came up with something...I kinda left the ball in his court

I like your idea of going to a downtown area...theres a nice one near me with plenty of places to go...that could def work

I tried looking in my town and the towns around me...nothing going on (that I can afford)...maybe because its going to be on a thursday night...not a friday or saturday

I live in a pretty urban town....but I also live close to more rural towns, suburban areas and big cities too

I tried looking for fairs too...I love going to fairs but there arent any going on now

Lets hope he comes up with something...It might be kinda weird if I show up at his place tomorrow and he didnt think of anything...but thats just me speculating

We have one retro drive in left in town.

Do you have one?

That would be a blast. With the proper, um, accompaniments. :laugh:

why not save the celebration til the weekend and so something nice during the day? out in the open? it's usually free or very cheap.

• Like 2

Why so much pressure for a birthday in middle age? If it was your 3rd or maybe 13th will make more sense.

Joking aside, my 1st BF was a master in free dates. He'd turn mundane tasks into super fun dates. Let me think... Art shows or visiting open studios? Driving randomly out / in town to a beautiful place (I don't know where you live)? Pizza&asexual at home;) and then go for a fancy cocktail (your $45 will cover first round or two;))? Comedy club, you can also have drinks there? Heck it is summer... Even a long walk downtown people watching could be fun... If it were me, I'd just leave it for the weekend though and go for a day trip - pack some sandwiches, fruits and a blanket and have a blast

IMO at 2.5 months the plans are on you, he can be your guest, but shouldn't be planning/paying (esp under order... And after you celebrated already with a trip)

I told him I was having a tough time finding something fun to do.

He said, "Hmmmm let me think"

Then after awhile I said, "Think of anything?"

He hasnt replied yet. Maybe he fell asleep

So lets hope he came up with something...I kinda left the ball in his court

I like your idea of going to a downtown area...theres a nice one near me with plenty of places to go...that could def work

I tried looking in my town and the towns around me...nothing going on (that I can afford)...maybe because its going to be on a thursday night...not a friday or saturday

I live in a pretty urban town....but I also live close to more rural towns, suburban areas and big cities too

I tried looking for fairs too...I love going to fairs but there arent any going on now

Lets hope he comes up with something...It might be kinda weird if I show up at his place tomorrow and he didnt think of anything...but thats just me speculating

• Like 3
thelastunicorn

Happy Birthday! Maybe just choose dinner at a place that has other activities. We have an adults only bar that has board games, ping pong, giant jenga, etc. You could do a progressive dinner/restaurant hopping downtown. Have apps at one restaurant, then go to another for dinner, and go to another for dessert.

• Like 1
scorpiogirl

You're being really unfair about this. It's your birthday so plan something. It seems like you want to be entertained. You don't know what to do on a limited budget but you're expecting him to?

It's only 2.5 months but the amount of issues you've already written about here is a bit much. Then all you say is, " I know I'm overthinking LOL".

Just reading about it all is exhausting. There's no need to dissect everything. Look up a place online. Something simple. Its too much. All of it.

You're anticipating this big thing, and I suspect that you're going to be back here in a few days feeling deflated because your birthday celebrations weren't what you wanted.

• Like 7

How about some *Birthday* sex?

While listening to deathmetal screamo, while in your car, in the middle of nowhere?

I'll even suggest a song for you. Enjoy 1 hour of screaming to mask your own you'll be doing ;)

Skip to 16 seconds.

Thats what i'd do.

If I had a girlfriend :'(

Edited by Dark Horse
How about some *Birthday* sex?

That's funny, cuz after 2.5 months of dating my ex. ... didn't matter what we did, birthday or not, whatever it was.... we usually ditched quickly anyway, to head home for that^^ very reason!

Edit:. Need to stop talking about him but he was my life for 6 years so it's all I have to go with re sharing my experiences......

Need some new experiences!!!!

Edited by katiegrl

DS: What is really important about birthdays it's who you spend it with. You won't remember this birthday because it was at a special place or you ate something new, it will be special because you'll be with him. Make your birthday about being together, not about a restaurant.

The perfect birthday for me from my bf would be a picnic on a blanket under a tree with him.

• Like 2
DS: What is really important about birthdays it's who you spend it with. You won't remember this birthday because it was at a special place or you ate something new, it will be special because you'll be with him. Make your birthday about being together, not about a restaurant.

The perfect birthday for me from my bf would be a picnic on a blanket under a tree with him.

That sounds lovely, would love that too!

But seriously......for me the best birthday would be just being together, no matter what we did.

I am kind of a weirdo though ......:laugh:. And not really that big on birthdays...... in fact I am so not big on birthdays, I don't even mrntion it.... it's actually come and gone without them even knowing in the early stages .

When they ask, then I tell them... it is not a big deal *to me*.

But again I am weird.

Everyone is different......

Edited by katiegrl

As an example:

It's my daughter's birthday today. I asked her what restaurant she wants me to take her to, she can name any place!

Her reply: Mom what I'd really like is to stay at your home and you make my favorite pancakes!

Bless her little heart, that is her wish for her 29th birthday.

Of course I am taking her to a restaurant tonight but it just melt my heart to hear she just wants to be with me...and pancakes :-)

• Like 3
You're being really unfair about this. It's your birthday so plan something. It seems like you want to be entertained. You don't know what to do on a limited budget but you're expecting him to?

It's only 2.5 months but the amount of issues you've already written about here is a bit much. Then all you say is, " I know I'm overthinking LOL".

Just reading about it all is exhausting. There's no need to dissect everything. Look up a place online. Something simple. Its too much. All of it.

You're anticipating this big thing, and I suspect that you're going to be back here in a few days feeling deflated because your birthday celebrations weren't what you wanted.

This. You really need to chill out about this, OP.

This is all too much--your expectations of that one calender day AND the weight you put on those expectations.

I'm not sure what you are expecting to have happen, but I always thought the main thing is that you're spending time together AND he puts *some* thought into making this a special day for you.

Edited by Imajerk17
  • Like 2