How strong is "too strong"

Coup La-La

Coup La-La

A few months ago I reconnected to a girl I went to college with on social media. Since then I've been reminded why I had a crush on her back then. Next week is her birthday, and she's moving into a new apartment, so was thinking of sending her a painting I made. She's always complementing my art work, and telling me how talented I am. Is this coming on too strong?

Note: I know for a fact that she's been single for 2 years.

• Like 1
Scarlett.O'hara

No, it is actually a really sweet and thoughtful gift. It will probably make her day.

After all this time it is about time you made a move before someone else does.

Good luck.

• Like 1
No, it is actually a really sweet and thoughtful gift. It will probably make her day.

After all this time it is about time you made a move before someone else does.

Good luck.

Agreed. This is a very thoughtful gift. I painted a 5ft by 4ft painting a couple months back. My bf just moved into his new condo recently and I'm going to give it to him in a few months. The relationship is still very new, only 1 month...so I want to wait alittle longer before I give it to him. I'm attached to it so I want to make sure things are still on solid ground before I give it away. I actually painted it for an ex...took it back when we broke up...good move there :D My bf is remodeling and repainting the walls soon so he's really looking forward to it. He already picked out a spot to hang it.

I think home made gifts are esp thoughtful and sweet. You made this painting...you poured your heart into it. She'll really appreciate you giving her something you made with your own two hands. Most people recieve gifts that were purchased....people rarely recieve gifts that were hand made...gifts that are one of a kind...a very special thing that she'll love.

I think you're going to win her over with this :D

I would recommend it against it. Unless you are really hot/attractive than sure, go for it because then she will think it is "cute" / "sweet". But, if you had a crush on her before and it wasn't mutual she just might think it is creepy. There really is a fine line between "creepy" and "sweet". I think you should keep the painting and if she invites you over then bring it as a house warming or something. Better to at least go out before starting to send her things in the mail or whatever!

Agreed. This is a very thoughtful gift. I painted a 5ft by 4ft painting a couple months back. My bf just moved into his new condo recently and I'm going to give it to him in a few months. The relationship is still very new, only 1 month...so I want to wait alittle longer before I give it to him.

Yeah but that's your boyfriend. And you are still going to wait till you are together longer. Would you give it to someone you just knew from college and hadn't seen in years?

Personally I think it's coming on too strong.

• Author
Coup La-La
if you had a crush on her before and it wasn't mutual she just might think it is creepy. There really is a fine line between "creepy" and "sweet".

Well had a good rapport in college, I didn't act on it because I was a full time student and was working 45 -60 hours a week, so I didn't really have time for a relationship back then.

Until she feels like she has done something to earn such a gift, it won't help your case

I would LOVE that. I love paintings, it would be my thing. When you like and appreciate art I think you view this sort of thing completely differently from simple gift giving.

• Like 2

Don't use art as a shortcut ;). Dating is tough so do the manly thing & ask her out for a drink to celebrate The new apartment! Art is private & personal. So use it for when things get personal with her. Play fair, OP & use healthy boundaries!!!

Cheers

Sending the painting is fine. If you went out & bought her a gift (other than perhaps a house plant or a cutsy silly trinket) as a housewarming gift that would be too much.

Is there any way you can wrangle an invitation to the new apartment, including by offering to help her move so you can give it to her in person? That would be better.

• Like 1
SilverAccount

What a lovely thoughtful gift, go through with this, this isn't coming on too strong at all, a wonderful gesture can go a long way.

• Author
Coup La-La
Don't use art as a shortcut

Cheers

I thought that was the whole point of becoming an artist or musician,

giving her a picture is not coming on too strong.

Giving her your cut off ear with it is.

• Like 1
Homemade gifts are thoughtful and sweet when they are actually gifts. If you took your painting back from your ex, then you just loaned it to him. Loaning someone a painting until a relationship is over is not so sweet.

OP: I wouldn't give her a painting yet. I would wait until you think things might be going somewhere between you and her, and then you can give her that gift. Just don't take it back if things don't work out.

Lol nope thats not what happened sweetie.

"Heres a painting....but just a warning...its a loan so if we break up, I get it back!" lol

I painted it for him....gave it to him....we broke up...he said I could have it back...so it took it back....thats what happened.

• Like 1

You said "reconnected." How many times have you seen her since you reconnected? If it's been a few, then yes, the painting is nice. If you haven't seen her but only seen her on social media, it would be premature and you should instead ask her out for her birthday and then IF she accepts, give her the painting on the date.

Good. Just checking. I actually had a similar situation recently. I was dating a girl, and she gave me an antique mirror that she had refinished. She said it was the first one she had ever done, and that she was kinda sentimental about it. I thought it was an awesome gift! However, when we broke up, she used her key to come into my house and take it back. So lame.

Without asking??? Thats not cool. Hope she left you're key after she took the mirror back.

I spent about 12 hours on my painting so I was glad he said I could have it back bcuz I was attached to it. It was also a painting of my face so....I dont know that he'd want it hanging on his wall after we broke up lol

OP, I agree with some of the other posters...I think its all about your delivery here...I dont think giving her the painting would be coming onto strong but try to do it in a smooth way like some other posters have mentioned. Also, how big is the painting??? While I think its a good gift I wouldnt give her an over sized painting...one that you could charge hundreds of dollars for.

• Like 1