LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Romantic > Dating

General online and other dating discussion

Dating Dating, courting, or going steady? Things not working out the way you had hoped? Stand up on your soap box and let us know what's going on!

Like Tree239Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2017, 8:00 PM   #181
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrucible View Post
It's not possible for me to do this because I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere pretty much. I have to travel to the nearest city for dates as there's no one in my area. So say if I meet someone in that city for a 1 hr date, I have to add on 1 and a half hours to that for commuting. So it would take me 3 hours just for a quick date. If I did that on weekday evenings, I wouldn't get back from work until about 10.30pm allowing for public transport. That's unless he comes to meet me. I don't really wanna make a guy do that if I'm not sure if I like him.
I think your best bet then may be to video chat guys before meeting them. I can't say how effective that is because I am one of those guys that would much rather prefer to meet for a quick drink in the city.
SwordofFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 7:33 PM   #182
Established Member

Hi Everyone, Have tried to put into practice your advice and meet people quickly for a few drinks so I can find out sooner rather than later whether there's anything there. I will hopefully meet a couple of guys soon - they expressed interest in meeting and I said I'd get back to them this week (have just got back from holiday).

There's a guy who really piques my interest on online dating. Last message he sent he said he needed to explore the city more and I replied the next day saying "perhaps we could explore together?". I was meaning in a lighthearted way and I dislike endless messages. The reply I got wasn't negative but not out of this world interested either so I'll keep replying but play it a bit more cool.

I tend to be rubbish at this kind of stuff. I think over the past 3 years I haven't really been committed to the idea of a relationship so I'd get freak out and fade. But now I've just kind of clicked that I need to be going after what I want so I'm not left in the lurch. I know I'm not being clingy because I don't feel clingy. 3 years of singledom teaches you to be alone.

How's everyone else getting on with online dating?
thecrucible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 12:32 PM   #183
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeta View Post
If you are happy with only dating her than wonderful ! Being exclusive isn't a marriage or a commitment, it's only agreeing to concentrate on each other. Men that were serious about me always brought up exclusivity early like on 3rd date. I also am in a relationship with a man from France and multi-dating there does not exist. If you like each other enough to kiss than you are 'together'.

You can still take things slow. Exclusive does not mean starting to meet family and spending all of your time together.

Enjoy.
That's so nice. I really think serial dating has cheapened the entire experience. When I was younger there was no such thing. Now it seems to be the norm.

I would much prefer to concentrate on one woman and see where it goes but I'm forced into this multi dating scenario and honestly I don't care for it.

Kissing 3 girls in a weekend on dates sounds cool but it also turns my stomach.

Oh well, when in Rome....
SevenCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 12:43 PM   #184
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenCity View Post
That's so nice. I really think serial dating has cheapened the entire experience. When I was younger there was no such thing. Now it seems to be the norm.

I would much prefer to concentrate on one woman and see where it goes but I'm forced into this multi dating scenario and honestly I don't care for it.

Kissing 3 girls in a weekend on dates sounds cool but it also turns my stomach.

Oh well, when in Rome....
When I was younger there was no such thing -- Yes, there was. People didn't talk/know about it as much. People weren't having the conversations. Social media and the internet has "highlighted" certain things that lots of people held as "truths".
Redhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 5:01 PM   #185
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead14 View Post
When I was younger there was no such thing -- Yes, there was. People didn't talk/know about it as much. People weren't having the conversations. Social media and the internet has "highlighted" certain things that lots of people held as "truths".
Perhaps it depends on where you live. Anyone multi dating in 1980's Australia would have been dropped because of it.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 5:12 PM   #186
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
Perhaps it depends on where you live. Anyone multi dating in 1980's Australia would have been dropped because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead14 View Post
Perhaps, but in the 90s, in the US, in my circle of friends we didn't do this.

We had many cases of just hooking up with chicks just for sex but not dating multiple women at the same time with no attachments with the intention that it may lead to a serious RL with one.

You pretty much knew by the time you kissed. Then again, this was before OLD and you typically knew the girl before hand.

Perhaps I was naive back then but I still don't care for the practice.
Old 29th January 2017, 5:21 PM   #187
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil67 View Post
I'm from rural area in USA and we certainly didn't have multi-dating. Like the person above said, if you liked each other enough to kiss then you were together. There were no such things as talks of exclusivity. If you kissed someone else you were a two-timer.

Then I moved to a larger city where multi-dating is common enough that you have to assume it is happening in order to protect your feelings. I think less than half of the people are multi-dating but it's still a sizable enough minority that you have to assume it.
Jj66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 5:35 PM   #188
Established Member

It seems common to multidate on O.L.D. Unless you're banking on it working out with the first person who agrees to go on a date with you, there's bound to be some overlap. Why would someone exclusively date a stranger right off the bat vs date multiple strangers until you find someone that you like enough to stop dating others/be exclusive and vice versa? It doesn't mean you're necessarily having sex these people.

Last edited by Cookiesandough; 29th January 2017 at 5:39 PM..
Cookiesandough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 6:27 PM   #189
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiesandough View Post
It seems common to multidate on O.L.D. Unless you're banking on it working out with the first person who agrees to go on a date with you, there's bound to be some overlap. Why would someone exclusively date a stranger right off the bat vs date multiple strangers until you find someone that you like enough to stop dating others/be exclusive and vice versa? It doesn't mean you're necessarily having sex these people.
A lot people are having sex when multi-dating.

I get that it's none of my business, and they have every right, but the thought of kissing a girl who's mouth may or may not have been on some guys genitalia the night before doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy if you know what I mean.
Old 29th January 2017, 7:09 PM   #190
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenCity View Post
A lot people are having sex when multi-dating.

I get that it's none of my business, and they have every right, but the thought of kissing a girl who's mouth may or may not have been on some guys genitalia the night before doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy if you know what I mean.
This is another reason why you should ask for exclusivity if you are into a woman.
Jj66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 7:24 PM   #191
LoveShack.org Moderator
LoveShack.org Moderator

< Note from moderation: the preceding 8 posts were moved from a different thread into here. General discussion of dating can be continued in this thread. ~6 >
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 8:07 PM   #192
Established Member

For me multi dating is counter intuitive to what I'm trying to do which is to meet a wonderful person to date and hopefully find a partner. By spending some time with a person you find interesting and attractive, focusing only on them for a few dates to get to know them will lead you both to a decision: carry on getting to know each other or, there isn't enough there to go forward. Then you go and try again if needed. Someone who might be my future partner deserves my sole focus, for me not to be flirty with other men or compare him to others. That's also how I like to be treated. Otherwise it feels shallow and that to the multi dater it's just a numbers game, keep putting chips in and one of them will hit.
PhillyLibertyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2017, 8:49 PM   #193
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jj66 View Post
This is another reason why you should ask for exclusivity if you are into a woman.
I let them bring it up. Pushing for an RL before she is ready is a good way to scare her off.

Trust me, when they are ready they will say something. If she's not just because you haven't then she's not ready.
Old 29th January 2017, 8:56 PM   #194
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyLibertyBelle View Post
For me multi dating is counter intuitive to what I'm trying to do which is to meet a wonderful person to date and hopefully find a partner. By spending some time with a person you find interesting and attractive, focusing only on them for a few dates to get to know them will lead you both to a decision: carry on getting to know each other or, there isn't enough there to go forward. Then you go and try again if needed. Someone who might be my future partner deserves my sole focus, for me not to be flirty with other men or compare him to others. That's also how I like to be treated. Otherwise it feels shallow and that to the multi dater it's just a numbers game, keep putting chips in and one of them will hit.
This is a wonderful attitude and I wish more women were like you.

One of the big reasons guys multidate is it stops us from anxious behaviors that scare women off. Like calling too much, getting worried if she hasn't responded, etc.

As a woman, you have MANY more opportunities than a man. You can afford to concentrate on one guy. As a man you tend to take as many options as you can get because you don't know when the next one is coming.

I recall talking to a female coworker years ago who was on OLD. She was cute - a solid 5 maybe 6. She would have almost 50 messages a day from guys. So much she would have to set aside dedicated time to go through them all. Most guys don't have those problems.

Also, chicks flake out often with OLD (though I've heard guys do as well) so you are forced to hedge your bets.
Old 29th January 2017, 10:11 PM   #195
Established Member

I think first dates with online dating are like first meets so I don't see the issue if doing the first couple of dates with a few people. But if it gets as far as kissing, you really need to focus on one person. If you can't pick between them, you probably don't like any of them enough. You shouldn't take it too far.
thecrucible is offline   Reply With Quote