Ask former Co-worker out using LinkedIn: Reasonable or Creepy?

michwinter15

I've been thinking about some of the regrets I have regarding my life, and the biggest one that keeps coming up is not asking out a former co-worker.

She and I worked together for about 3 years in different departments (both single the entire time), but didn't really know about one another until about 4-5 months ago, right before I left the company. At that time, I was really shy, and a habitual choke artist, so I never took our conversations as far as I really wanted, afraid I might accidentally ruin an opportunity I wasn't ready for. Unfortunately, right when I was feeling comfortable around her, I got an offer for a better job elsewhere. The only thing I managed to do before I left was to connect with her on LinkedIn. I got busy at my new job, and just couldn't bring myself to follow-up with her, justifying myself with various excuses. Over these past few months, I've realized I might have made a big mistake, and am unsure of what to do.

Do you guys/gals think it would be reasonable to ask her out through LinkedIn, or would it be too creepy? Is there something else might have missed, or should I chalk it up as a loss?

EDIT:

Now, there's a bit more I should mention first. She and I have very similar personalities, as we're both quiet and rather introverted. The reasons I only connected with her on LinkedIn are: 1) I choked asking for her number; 2) Neither one of us used Facebook, Twitter, etc. I can't think of any other options that aren't super stalker-like.

Edited by michwinter15
Missing infomation.
I've been thinking about some of the regrets I have regarding my life, and the biggest one that keeps coming up is not asking out a former co-worker.

She and I worked together for about 3 years in different departments (both single the entire time), but didn't really know about one another until about 4-5 months ago, right before I left the company. At that time, I was really shy, and a habitual choke artist, so I never took our conversations as far as I really wanted, afraid I might accidentally ruin an opportunity I wasn't ready for. Unfortunately, right when I was feeling comfortable around her, I got an offer for a better job elsewhere. The only thing I managed to do before I left was to connect with her on LinkedIn. I got busy at my new job, and just couldn't bring myself to follow-up with her, justifying myself with various excuses. Over these past few months, I've realized I might have made a big mistake, and am unsure of what to do.

Do you guys/gals think it would be reasonable to ask her out through LinkedIn, or would it be too creepy? Is there something else might have missed, or should I chalk it up as a loss?

EDIT:

Now, there's a bit more I should mention first. She and I have very similar personalities, as we're both quiet and rather introverted. The reasons I only connected with her on LinkedIn are: 1) I choked asking for her number; 2) Neither one of us used Facebook, Twitter, etc. I can't think of any other options that aren't super stalker-like.

creepy. If You don't have a fb account you should make one yesterday.

Organize drinks with former colleagues & make sure she finds out. Follow her on instagram. Linked in is Really creepy.

EDIT:

LinkedIn is a professional network so instead of asking her out over it why not just drop her a friendly note to say hello. Give her your phone number and tell her you'd love to catch up with her for a coffee or something. Offer her a time / day. If she agrees you can ask her on a date in person.

You haven't seen her in a while so instead of directly asking her for a date a casual coffee is much more welcoming. You can start from there.

• Like 3

Using LinkedIn would be creepy. It's just so not done that way. Lots of scammers use it for romance scamming, in case you didn't know. There have been posts here from women who were completely put off by being contacted on LinkedIn.

If you have other means to get in touch with her, use them.

Since you guys worked at the same company, and she's still there, wouldn't you know her work email? You would've had a similar email since you worked there and know what format it uses.

Obviously, you know where she works, so why not just call up there and ask for her. If you had been social there, having lunch with some people, call and invite all of them to lunch and include her.