Is this BS?

Popsicle

I don't belong to a gym but my friend wants me to join her gym because she wants me to meet the guys there, esp. one in particular. To be honest, I haven't had much interest in joining a gym, and my friend is very pretty but married and has tried in the past to set me up with guy friends before who were her secret orbiters. (lol) That didn't go well obviously and I have always heard that no one at the gym is really interested in meeting people of the opposite sex anyway! That they are there to work out and that's it. I don't know any of the etiquettes and social nuances of the gym, so I'm wondering if this would be a waste of every ones time? She keeps pushing it but I think she might just be bored? What do you think?

I bet lots of guys wished girls would go to the gym for pickups, but most would feel like they would be bothering women, so stay away. Just my opinion, though. If she really wants you to try, have her pay for your first month, go check out the guy. If it doesn't work out, at least you get to work out.

• Like 6

I get approached often at the gym, and this is in spite of wearing earbuds, which I think are a universal sign for "I don't want to talk." So I don't think this is a rigidly enforced taboo, if it is one at all. It seems that, most often, women are the ones complaining about being approached.

In any case, if your friend wants you to meet this guy, presumably she knows he is open to meeting you. If not, you have to ask whether you have the interest to go to the gym or if you will resent shelling out $$$ if nothing comes of it.

• Like 1

Go as her guest, which most gyms allow for free. Get introduced, maybe exchange numbers, then just don't go back. Who said you had to commit to a membership?

• Like 6
  • Author
In any case, if your friend wants you to meet this guy, presumably she knows he is open to meeting you.

No, she's not super direct like that.

• Author
Go as her guest, which most gyms allow for free. Get introduced, maybe exchange numbers, then just don't go back. Who said you had to commit to a membership?

That's an interesting idea...

No, she's not super direct like that.

So does she know if he is single? Straight? Looking?

Or is she just generically wanting company at the gym and dangling the prospect of eligible guys to make it more appealing to you?

• Author

I don't know, it just seems so lame for me to join a gym to meet men? lol Not to mention that this is a powerhouse gym and the only thing I'm remotely interested in is yoga and they probably don't have that there. lol

• Like 1
  • Author
So does she know if he is single? Straight? Looking?

Or is she just generically wanting company at the gym and dangling the prospect of eligible guys to make it more appealing to you?

She knows that he is "single, 46, has 2 kids, physically fit and has a warm personality."

She has another female friend who goes with her, so she has company but she does have the problem of having many orbiters.

IME socializing at the gym is usually limited to before/after a specific class. People looove to chitchat then. If someone is there for a solo workout they usually don't pay attention to other people other than "when will they get off that machine already?" :rolleyes:

I agree not to pay for a membership unless you actually want to join a gym. Sign in as a guest or trial membership.

Could your friend just walk up to the guy and say "hey I think you'd hit it off with my friend, [insert awesome details about you], here's her number/kik/screenname."? I mean if she wants to play matchmaker... :cool:

• Like 2
I think most women don't want to be hit on at the gym. As a guy, I wouldn't mind though.

There isn't anywhere where any man would be bothered if this woman hit on him:

Milla Jovovich - Official Site

Seriously, as a man, and if I was single, I would never complain if a woman hit on me.

• Like 4
I don't belong to a gym but my friend wants me to join her gym because she wants me to meet the guys there, esp. one in particular. To be honest, I haven't had much interest in joining a gym, and my friend is very pretty but married and has tried in the past to set me up with guy friends before who were her secret orbiters. (lol) That didn't go well obviously and I have always heard that no one at the gym is really interested in meeting people of the opposite sex anyway! That they are there to work out and that's it. I don't know any of the etiquettes and social nuances of the gym, so I'm wondering if this would be a waste of every ones time? She keeps pushing it but I think she might just be bored? What do you think?

Gyms have different dynamics. At a generic box gym where people work out silently, yeah you don't go there to socialize at all. But if its a gym where everyone socializes outside of working out (like crossfit or a tight-knit gym with classes or athletes) then meeting everyone there is the norm.

• Like 1
fitnessfan365

If she has a particular guy in mind, why not just have her give the guy your number? Then he can call/text you and you two can meet up to do a workout together. Either at a track, hiking trails, etc.. This kills two birds with one stone. You get to spend time with the guy to see what he's like and if the meet is a bust at least you're getting a workout in at the same time.

Then if it goes well, you could bring up grabbing a drink in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Author

I asked her to just give him my number and she said "no way I want you to come to the gym and" but didn't finish the text.

I'm getting the feeling he is an orbiter.

• Like 1
I asked her to just give him my number and she said "no way I want you to come to the gym and" but didn't finish the text.

I had to look up what orbiter was but that was the idea I got when you said...

She knows that he is "single, 46, has 2 kids, physically fit and has a warm personality.".

She doesn't know him but has a lot of info on him. After thinking about it more, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't join a gym for a girl my friend would suggest. That's too much effort for me on a blind maybe. None of my friends know exactly what I am attracted to, so their judgement call wouldn't be good anyway.

• Like 1
fitnessfan365

To be honest, it seems like you joining the gym is more for your friend's benefit than anything else. Almost like she wants you there so both of you can check out men like she is bored w/her marriage or something.

If it was really just about helping you meet guys, it wouldn't be a big deal for her to pass your number to set up an outdoor exercise meet up somewhere.

• Like 2

Personally I'm not into being 'hooked up' by a friend. Had this happen a time or two and for some reason turned out not being so great. However the thought of going to the gym why not? If you happen to exchange numbers on YOUR own, it's still better than any of these OLD sites me thinks.

• Like 1

If she is really THAT interested in playing matchmaker I would just go with her as a guest and have her introduce you.

• Like 1