Consolidated Discussion: Height in Dating

Xiomn

<Link to most recent discussion begun in July 2018>

This girl matched me on Tinder (don't know if it was genuine or whether girls swipe right for everyone as most guys probably do) She goes to my university, I only know her through Facebook and not really talked all that much to her before or met her in person. She has liked two of my most recent profile pictures although that could be anything to be honest rather than sexual interest.

On her Tinder profile it says she really loves tall guys so I messaged her (knowing that I was intentionally talking negatively about myself in regards to her desires with the intention of finding out how she reacted I guess)

I started off by saying

me: "I'm not tall, sorry (name) *wink* haha"

Her: "hahhahahaha, how tall is not tall?"

me: "I don't even know how tall I am to be honest (laughing emote)"

her: "Lmao I'm 5,11 so.. (2 blush emote)

Then I broke the chill atmosphere with: "Haha pretty tall then, come to think of it i've never actually considered height when it comes to looking for qualities in women, can't say i've dated a tall person or anything so I wouldn't know haha"

No reply since last night.

This got me thinking, do you factor height when looking for people to date/Would you date someone who is a lot taller/smaller than you?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Add link to 2018 discussion

Everyone's got a type. Sadly, for a lot of women it's important that the guy be taller than her. She was quite tall to begin with so it makes sense for her to mention wanting to date someone tall. Not everyone feels that way, though. Also, there's a lot of beautiful petite girls who would much rather date guys of average height, not some skyscraper - how weird would that match look.

I don't care about height, but I'm a fairly short chick so most guys are my height or taller. Some people care, some people don't. I wouldn't worry about it personally. If a guy thinks I'm too short then so be it. Next. Why get focused on something you can't change is the way I look at it.

• Like 1

Oh dear lord here we go again.

Mate when will you guys understand that its not your height its your confidence and personality that matters.

Here is how the conversation with her girlfriends is now going to go...

Oh that cute guy is X class matched with me then started going on about his height. How weird and insecure is that...

Rolling my eyes, face palming....

Dude you sort of know her you could have just talked to her and now you have goofed it up!

What right do you have to experiment on other people? Stop it and concentrate on your studies instead.

• Like 8

Men like hot women, women like tall men, it's only fair. ;)

• Like 2
Men like hot women, women like tall men, it's only fair. ;)

Not really. A guy can't really force himself to grow taller. A women can become hotter by working out and losing weight.

• Like 1
  • Author
Not really. A guy can't really force himself to grow taller. A women can become hotter by working out and losing weight.

Can't forget makeup. :laugh:

• Like 1

Yeah but fortunately for shorter men there are alot of hot short women so they shouldn't have any problems getting a date.

• Like 5

This got me thinking, do you factor height when looking for people to date/Would you date someone who is a lot taller/smaller than you?

on OLD stats are everything. This is why I have more success live and in person than on OLD. I'm under 6'0 but I've dated women taller than me - ones I've met in person.

I say height is more of an OLD thing than anything else.

Yes men can get taller..... in the old days they were called elevator shoes, and they still sell them/ or height inserts. No dif than a woman stickin biscuits in a push up bra.

• Like 2
Yes men can get taller..... in the old days they were called elevator shoes, and they still sell them/ or height inserts. No dif than a woman stickin biscuits in a push up bra.

That's negated when the woman wears heels.

Yeah but fortunately for shorter men there are alot of hot short women so they shouldn't have any problems getting a date.

There's a huge Asian population world wide so definitely there should be np.

• Like 2
A women can become hotter by working out and losing weight.

Explain Sarah Jessica Parker to me then. She is fit, works out but I don't find her attractive.

• Like 4
Versacehottie

I have cared in the past, but then somehow a bf along the way was on the shorter side and I've never cared since. I do get it from both sides. I think it's shallow to say you want a guy of a certain height or above. But as a girl you tend to feel more feminine if your guy is taller than you and if you can wear heels freely. It's a personal preference, same as other qualities people prefer or get hung up on. Look at it like this, if you have an opportunity with a girl and it otherwise goes well but she is still resisting because of your height, you are probably better off just letting her keep moving.

When you relayed your convo though above, I think you both did pretty fine. Here's where the problem came in and why she probably hasn't answered. You said you weren't that tall, dodged the question of height vaguely and then still didn't answer it. So it makes it sound like you are now insecure about your height instead of being like f*ck it, i'm great and you can obviously see it with how I tackle this line of questioning with humor and confidence. You shied away from taking a chance to be really confident, that would have won you points and made it a non-issue if there was a chance at all to be a non-issue. By not answering it, she thinks you have something to hide or are "less than" or intimidated in some way--even though you clearly started the convo off as NOT intimated.

She also might be (not)reacting because she told your her height which maybe she fears you now have an issue with. Next time (or this time if you can resurrect) just take the bull by the horns. You can't change your height so you might as well approach these things with a f*ck it attitude. A couple of guys have done that to me (I can't even remember the things I was objecting to!) and made it a non issue with their confidence and head-on approach. Good luck

• Like 1

I used to only be attracted to tall men - like over 6', and I'm only 5'2. Now the guy I am currently seeing is 5'6/5'7 maybe, and his height is not even a thought in my mind.

• Like 1
I don't see the attraction either......I guess plastic surgery??

Some people do love horses. :laugh:

• Like 2
LoveRefreshed

Sorry Toodles, my direct experience tells me women like and are attracted to confident funny men who are comfortable with themselves but you certainly get bonus points for being tall. Most girls will only date men they are initially attracted to (no dis here, I only date women I am attracted to physically) and they don't realize if a man is confident and funny or not until they have a conversation. That conversation never has a chance for a lot of short men.

I have been told by many women that they like that I am tall, that she can wear heels without concern, etc.. I'm only 5' 11", so I'm not really tall. Other women, another taller woman even, have told me that the fact I am a broad shouldered brute makes up for me not being super tall. Girls just want to feel secure with a man.. they want to know that the man will take care of physical business when it's needed.

So the idea that height doesn't matter is false, but it's not everything for sure! Unfortunately, you can't grow taller, but you can wear shoes that add a half an inch when you go out, no problem. Also, if you're only a 5'6" man, you're in luck, there are a lot of 5'2" women.

Finally, the whole idea that height isn't changeable but someone can change their weight to become more attractive.. not entirely true. Some people are butterfaces, and some people are butterpersonalities.

• Like 1
  • Author
I have cared in the past, but then somehow a bf along the way was on the shorter side and I've never cared since. I do get it from both sides. I think it's shallow to say you want a guy of a certain height or above. But as a girl you tend to feel more feminine if your guy is taller than you and if you can wear heels freely. It's a personal preference, same as other qualities people prefer or get hung up on. Look at it like this, if you have an opportunity with a girl and it otherwise goes well but she is still resisting because of your height, you are probably better off just letting her keep moving.

When you relayed your convo though above, I think you both did pretty fine. Here's where the problem came in and why she probably hasn't answered. You said you weren't that tall, dodged the question of height vaguely and then still didn't answer it. So it makes it sound like you are now insecure about your height instead of being like f*ck it, i'm great and you can obviously see it with how I tackle this line of questioning with humor and confidence. You shied away from taking a chance to be really confident, that would have won you points and made it a non-issue if there was a chance at all to be a non-issue. By not answering it, she thinks you have something to hide or are "less than" or intimidated in some way--even though you clearly started the convo off as NOT intimated.

She also might be (not)reacting because she told your her height which maybe she fears you now have an issue with. Next time (or this time if you can resurrect) just take the bull by the horns. You can't change your height so you might as well approach these things with a f*ck it attitude. A couple of guys have done that to me (I can't even remember the things I was objecting to!) and made it a non issue with their confidence and head-on approach. Good luck

Nice well thought out response.

Here's where the problem came in and why she probably hasn't answered. You said you weren't that tall, dodged the question of height vaguely and then still didn't answer it. So it makes it sound like you are now insecure about your height

I genuinely don't know what my height is though so I was just telling it how it is really since she straight up asked me "how tall is not tall?" in effect asking me how tall I was. I guess I probably should of waited a bit longer to think of a confident/witty response.

To be honest I might just be straight up and confident and ask her out regardless, I can deal with a 'no'.

• Like 1
Unfortunately, you can't grow taller.

What about leg lengthening surgery? Many asian men do it.

What about leg lengthening surgery? Many asian men do it.

Sure why don't I torture myself for a few more inches. I'm sure that adds character too.

• Like 1
Explain Sarah Jessica Parker to me then. She is fit, works out but I don't find her attractive.

Because no one can work out their face at the gym.

Though I have said this to my wife I basically do not find Sarah that good looking. Though depending if she does her hair in a manner that is flattering for her and the same for what she is wearing she can easily step up a couple of numbers.

Though the next time you see her hair and clothes look bad on here, actually bad enough to lower her number big time.