OLD email etiquette. No questions

pidgeon1010

So I have started online dating and was contacted by a guy who is decent looking (going by his pics) and his profile is interesting. In his initial email, he gave a little background about himself and then asked me a question. I sent him a detailed response- preliminary info about myself, comments about the area he moved from per his profile, etc. He then sent me a very brief response (one line comment) and then also asked my name. I mirrored him and sent something brief and included my name. He has now responded "it's very nice to meet you [name]" with nothing else. I am on the fence about responding as the previous messages haven't been that engaging and I don't want to have to carry the conversation. Am I being too critical? His profile is somewhat detailed but geeesh the email conversation has been like pulling teeth.

TunaInTheBrine

Ha! I'm laughing out loud over here because I'm a guy who has encountered this same issue.

Are you asking questions back? I can't speak for this guy, but for me I know that anytime a woman doesn't also ask questions then the interest feels one directional to me, and that is a turn off. If you want to get to know him, you need to do more to show it. You might think a reply message is that in and of itself, but keep in mind some people reply simply out of boredom too.

• Author

I've asked questions in all my responses except the last one where I mirrored his message and also sent a one line comment and provided my name. I don't even want to bother with a thanks to his latest message but I don't want to give up prematurely. It's weird because his profile is pretty thorough/interesting! UGH! Maybe I will give it one last try :confused:

You would think since he initiated contact, he would make more of an effort lol.

• Like 1

Well, I highly doubt he's got SO many different conversations going that he simply doesn't have the time or stamina to write more than one sentence to you.

Like you, if I was interested in someone, I took the time to craft an interesting and engaging reply when someone would contact me. But if I got back some lame, one line reply putting the onus on ME to pick up the conversation yet again when I'd already made the effort in my last reply, I wouldn't answer back.

If someone is that damned lazy and can't even put together a couple of sentences to keep you engaged, then they're not worth the trouble.

• Like 2
geeesh the email conversation has been like pulling teeth.

Then the real-life conversation will likely be similar.

I would move on. If he writes again then take it from there, but don't hold your breath for him and move onto others.

As the guy I always took the lead with messages. If I was interested then I would keep up the messages by asking questions, always keeping my eye on the prize of the real-life meeting. I would never send a dead-end message like he did.

maybe he uses email like text messaging. Like maybe you were supposed to fire one line emails back and forth? My email is on my iphone and it's no different from imessage to me.