Cancelling a date [updated]

Odinani

I've had 7 dates with the man I'm dating and we've not gone beyond first base. I am perfectly happy with this situation. The reason I started this thread is because I assumed it's unusual for a man to be content with not having had sex or at least something close to it by the 7th date.

He's made it clear that he really likes me and around the fourth date he asked for us to date each other exclusively. He's very enthusiastic to kiss lots. It has come up in conversation a couple of times that I'm very shy and not all that experienced.

He is a very sensitive and intuitive person so it's possible that even though I haven't said so he might sense that I am somebody who doesn't rush into sex quickly, and I have to be in love with the guy.

I am used to guys being really aggressive and pressuring me to have sex even on the first date.

Perhaps he's a guy that just doesn't value sexual compatibility all that much? Maybe it just isn't important to him? I'm the opposite. I personally wouldn't stick around much longer if I didn't get past first base after 7 dates.

• Author
Perhaps he's a guy that just doesn't value sexual compatibility all that much? Maybe it just isn't important to him? I'm the opposite. I personally wouldn't stick around much longer if I didn't get past first base after 7 dates.

He definitely seems to be a guy who values love and putting in time and effort to court rather than giving the girl a test-drive early on to see what her vagina feels like before dating her seriously ;-)

There's absolutely no reason to assume we won't be sexually compatible and I really look forward to finding out in the not too distant future.

Just enjoy it. Or make the move yourself if you're into it. Maybe he just doesn't know how to make that first move? Some guys don't.

• Like 1
  • Author
Just enjoy it. Or make the move yourself if you're into it. Maybe he just doesn't know how to make that first move? Some guys don't.

Maybe I will make the first move :D

His patient, loving attitude is having the effect of making me feel like I want to tear his clothes off.

jam.over.jelly

Sounds like you got yourself a keeper! I'm happy for you! Maybe he just really respects you and likes you a lot, and he's letting things happen naturally.

• Like 2
Maybe I will make the first move :D

His patient, loving attitude is having the effect of making me feel like I want to tear his clothes off.

We live in a liberated world! Men are staying home with the kids. There's a black president. And now Odinani is going to learn how to come onto a man. God bless modern society. :)

• Like 2
  • Author
Sounds like you got yourself a keeper! I'm happy for you! Maybe he just really respects you and likes you a lot, and he's letting things happen naturally.

Thanks x

:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

I actually waited 2 months before having sex with my current boyfriend and we've dating for almost 6 months now. In the 2 relationships prior to this one I was intimate within a week or two of knowing the guy and I got burned both times. Early sex could turn into meaningful relationships when I was in my 20s but not so much in my 40s.

If a guy is really interested in you he will wait.

• Like 2
  • Author
I actually waited 2 months before having sex with my current boyfriend and we've dating for almost 6 months now. In the 2 relationships prior to this one I was intimate within a week or two of knowing the guy and I got burned both times. Early sex could turn into meaningful relationships when I was in my 20s but not so much in my 40s.

If a guy is really interested in you he will wait.

Did you talk about it? Or did it just naturally take 2 months before you both decided to have sex?

Did you talk about it? Or did it just naturally take 2 months before you both decided to have sex?

I didn't talk about it in the beginning. I just naturally kept the dates public. I didn't want to make a big deal out of the fact that I was waiting to see if he was the real deal before I had sex. Early on he did suggest a "pizza and movie night" at his place and I casually offered an alternative.

Later on I did bring up sex in our phone conversations and we openly talked about being ready.

Edited by Peachland
grammer
  • Author

So, tonight the guy I'm seeing said he's been reading Freud (for work). He said something about Freudian theory that when a daughter reaches her teens, the mother starts to feel competitive and inadequate. To quote him "suddenly the mother is no longer star of the show, the daughter is the star. And it can be difficult when the mother's used to lots of male attention."

He said something to imply I must have faced a similar situation myself. I am in my 30s and I have a daughter in her teens (I was a teen mom).

Other than this weird tactless comment he has been attentive, sweet and loving.

Is he negging me???

Not at all, he was trying to make a parallel between what he's reading and your daughter-mother relationship and he did it with not much tact. He was probably also trying to impress you with his 'knowledge'.

Freud also said little boys are secretly jealous of their dad and want to sleep with their mother. You could have asked him at what age he started having erection thinking of his mom :D

Negging would be to critic you in a way that makes you want to defend yourself or prove yourself. Example blond jokes.

• Like 4
fitnessfan365
Not at all, he was trying to make a parallel between what he's reading and your daughter-mother relationship and he did it with not much tact. He was probably also trying to impress you with his 'knowledge'.

Freud also said little boys are secretly jealous of their dad and want to sleep with their mother. You could have asked him at what age he started having erection thinking of his mom :D

Negging would be to critic you in a way that makes you want to defend yourself or prove yourself. Example blond jokes.

Good post. What he said didn't seem like "negging" at all to me either.

• Like 2
  • Author
Good post. What he said didn't seem like "negging" at all to me either.

pretty tactless though, right?

He said something about a scenario where a mother and daughter go to a beach and suddenly it's the daughter getting all the attention and not the mother.

Seemed like a pretty strange thing to talk about when out on a date with a woman you supposedly want to make feel appreciated and desired. :eek:

He said something about a scenario where a mother and daughter go to a beach and suddenly it's the daughter getting all the attention and not the mother.

Seemed like a pretty strange thing to talk about when out on a date with a woman you supposedly want to make feel appreciated and desired. :eek:

Did you feel insulted by what he said? If so, why?

I think he was playing with you -- teasing you, perhaps to gauge a response and mess with ya a little in a fun way. You should have bantered back with "Hell no, I still get most of the attention, thank you very much"!! :bunny::bunny:

Or something like that....

You're taking his comment far too seriously, and personally IMO.

• Like 2

Guys are allowed to make mistakes :-)

Maybe you've made your own set of mistakes with him and he's letting it slide cause he likes you so much. Don't sweat the small stuff.

• Like 1
  • Author
Did you feel insulted by what he said? If so, why?

I think he was playing with you -- teasing you, perhaps to gauge a response and mess with ya a little in a fun way. You should have bantered back with "Hell no, I still get most of the attention, thank you very much"!! :bunny::bunny:

Or something like that....

You're taking his comment far too seriously, and personally IMO.

Not insulted, but fed up. Would it be so hard for him to tell me for once that I look nice or something. He's always very tactile and physically affectionate. But never has a compliment knowingly escaped his lips. :sick:

And no he wasn't teasing. This is his idea of a normal conversation. He works in academia and his conversations sometimes feel like he is talking to people in a lecture hall.

• Author
Guys are allowed to make mistakes :-)

Maybe you've made your own set of mistakes with him and he's letting it slide cause he likes you so much. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I'm sure I have.

Not insulted, but fed up. Would it be so hard for him to tell me for once that I look nice or something. He's always very tactile and physically affectionate. But never has a compliment knowingly escaped his lips. :sick:

And no he wasn't teasing. This is his idea of a normal conversation. He works in academia and his conversations sometimes feel like he is talking to people in a lecture hall.

haha I would have a lot of fun with this guy. Maybe your interest and personality don't mesh?

Do you really need him to give you compliments? Don't you see in his face he finds you attractive when he looks at you?

• Like 1
  • Author
haha I would have a lot of fun with this guy. Maybe your interest and personality don't mesh?

Do you really need him to give you compliments? Don't you see in his face he finds you attractive when he looks at you?

Yes I do see it in his face when he looks at me. I am not used to guys not giving compliments though.

Does not sound like you're very compatible, why do you continue to date him?

In any event, you shouldn't be "mad" at him or "fed up," you have different "love languages," tis all.

Your love language is "words of affirmation" (compliments) and his is "physical touch." (See bolded)

Mine is "quality time," I don't need compliments. I know I look hot...lol.. I know my fiance knows I look hot, that's all that matters to me. Don't need the compliments. Words mean jack shyt to me anyway at the end of the day.... it's all about actions for me.

But you do, you need that attention, which is fine. But does HE know that?

It's important that people who date/have a RL understand each other's love language so they can accommodate each other's needs.

In case you're not familiar, the five love languages are:

Words of affirmation (yours)

Physical Touch (his)

Quality time (mine)

Gifts

Acts of Service

You should read up about them.... they might help you understand him a little bit better so you won't be so "fed up" with him.... :)

Good luck... :)

Edited by katiegrl
  • Like 2
  • Author
]Does not sound like you're very compatible, why do you continue to date him?

[/b]

In any event, you shouldn't be "mad" at him or "fed up," you have different "love languages," tis all.

Your love language is "words of affirmation" (compliments) and his is "physical touch." (See bolded)

Mine is "quality time," I don't need compliments. I know I look hot...lol.. I know my fiance knows I look hot, that's all that matters to me. Don't need the compliments. Words mean jack shyt to me anyway at the end of the day.... it's all about actions for me.

It's important that people who date/have a RL understand each other's love language so they can accommodate each other's needs.

Physical Touch (his)

Quality time (mine)

Gifts

Acts of Service

You should read up about them.... they might help you understand him a little bit better so you won't be so "fed up" with him.... :)

because I am attracted to him, find him intelligent and funny and aside from lack of compliments and this silly comment today he treats me beautifully

• Author
Does not sound like you're very compatible, why do you continue to date him?

Physical Touch (his)

Quality time (mine)

Gifts

Acts of Service

No he does know that. I should tell him?

because I am attracted to him, find him intelligent and funny and aside from lack of compliments and this silly comment today he treats me beautifully

Is it a very new relationship? how many dates?