How important is libido compatibility for you?

barbossa

assume the relationship has acceptable levels of romance, friendship, you two get along etc

but sexual desire levels are different ( both partners love having sex, and the sex is good when it happens but though their libido's differ)

one partner is fine with romance and occasional sex, one person is more frisky ( discussions are had and nothing is wrong one person is just less sexual and is satisfied with current levels the other wants more sex)

Do you compromise? Do you force the issue? would you break up?

That's like asking "what's your favorite color?"

Only the individual knows how important sex is in their lives and whether it is worth finding a middle ground or a more compatible partner.

It's pretty important. I don't want to be chased around my bed & pestered for sex by someone who's motor revs higher than mine. It's actually exhausting to say no all the time & it eventually hurts the person's feelings when you constantly reject them. Similarly I don't want to be begging the person I love for sex & affection. Again, I'd feel rejected & it would erode the relationship.

• Like 1

For myself, it's pretty important, since I only have sexual relations in relationships or while married, so consider libido to be a long-term compatibility issue. However, I tend to look at it more as compatible style of implementing libido rather than intrinsic libido, meaning how one's libido is communicated and flows through the relationship and how the partner's styles 'fit'. Since no two people are perfectly matched, generally, and relationships are always subject to change throughout life, how the individual communicates and resolves libido-related issues is, to me, as important as how consistently horny or not they are.

If in a dating situation, meaning sex while dating, without long-term focus, I'd be more likely to have a 'hey, it works for now' attitude and be less concerned about any details. If a mis-match became an issue, move on.

• Like 1