Texting Vs. Actual Conversation

chapter44

Maybe this is a generational observation but when did texting become the primary means of communication with someone you are dating? My personal opinion is, and always has been, that I prefer to talk to someone when I am getting to know them and preferably face to face. I know that texting has it's place and I am happy to do it but I don't want it to be the primary means of communication.

I am interested in other people's opinion about this.

• Like 4
Stage5Clinger
Maybe this is a generational observation but when did texting become the primary means of communication with someone you are dating? My personal opinion is, and always has been, that I prefer to talk to someone when I am getting to know them and preferably face to face. I know that texting has it's place and I am happy to do it but I don't want it to be the primary means of communication.

I am interested in other people's opinion about this.

I HATE TEXT MESSAGING GIRLS! It's a competition that they always win.

• Author
Texting became the primary mode of communication in September of 2003.

Not for me! I do text quite a bit but refuse to carry on "getting to know someone" conversations over text I think that is what dating is for.

• Like 4

I can see texting for a quick "Hey" type of message or to send a link or address or something but sending dozens (or hundreds) to try to simulate a real conversation? Why not pick up the phone? To call that person I mean.

• Like 1

I actually really like texting as a means of getting to know someone, because it allows plenty of time to think about your responses and make sure you communicate what you're actually trying to say. However once you become involved with someoneI think texting can be pretty dangerous, especially when discussing serious topics. I think every single fight I've gotten into with my girlfriend was the result of poor communication while texting. Any serious topic should be discussed face-to-face

Texting: Getting to know someones spelling.

Calling: Getting to know how someones talk.

Both tell a lot about the person.

Texting: Getting to know someones spelling.

Calling: Getting to know how someones talk.

Both tell a lot about the person.

Poor spelling or use of "u" instead of "you" would be an absolute dealbreaker, unless she's a teenager, and in that case I probably shouldn't be texting her.

Poor spelling or use of "u" instead of "you" would be an absolute dealbreaker, unless she's a teenager, and in that case I probably shouldn't be texting her.

:confused:

Hmm texting has been the norm for about 15 years now. the rest is face to face.

Texting is generational. Those 25 and under soley rely on texting snd never call.

Others use text more as a convenience where you can talk to someone like still work without talking on the phone.

Bacause phone call are more expensive and not always unlimited? Texting has been around since twenty years now.

Nah I think most people have unlimited minutes and texts, it's all about the data cap now.

Texting is generational. Those 25 and under soley rely on texting snd never call.

It depends. I'm 26 and have friends that are 18-19. Occasionally we talk on the phone but only when it's more urgent (i.e. trying to find each other outside the club).

The sad part is that talking on the phone was once a way to get to the face to face, but now texting leads to talking that then leads to face to face (or texting then whatsapp then talking then face).

Wb I agree all texts are now free and unlimited. Soon all calls will be too.

Its also True about it being urgent or not. A mail: Not urgent. A text: Less urgent. A call: "I switched plan and need to tell You asap", urgent.

Texting has become so prevalent now that many people are losing their ability to communicate any other way. I have dated numerous women who can only have important conversations via text, because they clam up in person. It's really sad.

Yeah I agree. 80% of communication is nonverbal. And with texting you don't even get the timing and voice inflection of telephone talks, so texting gives you about 10% of "natural" human communication. I'm not saying it's inherently bad but it's sure not optimal.

• Like 1
Nah I think most people have unlimited minutes and texts, it's all about the data cap now.

It depends. I'm 26 and have friends that are 18-19. Occasionally we talk on the phone but only when it's more urgent (i.e. trying to find each other outside the club).

The sad part is that talking on the phone was once a way to get to the face to face, but now texting leads to talking that then leads to face to face (or texting then whatsapp then talking then face).

The time you are using the phone for calls is when you have to...not your first option.