Do you think OLD is an accurate tool to measure your attractiveness?

h0000

Meaning the more messages/replies you get, the more attractive you look, also it reflects your desirability in real life (more desirable you are in real life)?

Or, do you think some people do well online however suck in real life, or the opposite?

And for women, do you think you generally get more attention from OLD than from real life? or less? or same?

Regrettably I have always found the type of person I seem to attract on OLD closely measures the type of person who find me attractive IRL.

Meaning the more messages/replies you get, the more attractive you look, also it reflects your desirability in real life (more desirable you are in real life)?

Or, do you think some people do well online however suck in real life, or the opposite?

And for women, do you think you generally get more attention from OLD than from real life? or less? or same?

I sure don't use it as a tool for measuring my attractiveness. There are guys on there who will send a flirt to a woman just because she has hair on her head. :)

And, yes, some people write emails or IM better than carrying on a conversation in person and vice versa. There was one time when a guy had been emailing/IMing and when I met him in person, I wondered if someone was sitting with him and coaching when he was writing. He struggled with carrying on a conversation. Some people don't think well on their feet at least until they get used to a person I guess.

I used to get a fair amount of "attention" from OLD, but had better luck in real life.

To whom? because I am the only one knowing how much attention I get online right?

Depends what you call doing well. I do extremely well online, I can get on there and get a date in 10 minutes but that's not the kind of doing well I wish for. I would prefer the kind that has me meeting real gentlemen. That happens rarely in my case.

I get an obscene amount of attention online. I get attention off line but nowhere close to online. Online is made to approach, in real life men looking at me don't know if I am single and looking so yes, I get looked at but very rarely I get approached.

No.

Some women like me. Some don't. I'm not concerned about being attractive to everybody. Just trying to be the best I can be for someone who likes me.

• Like 2

As Gaeta says it's difficult to measure in reality but I'd guess that it is an indicator of attractiveness, yes. Online people can only really go by your looks for the most part. When I was online I'm sure I would have received more attention had I been good looking. I'm certain of it.

You could say the same for real life dating though.

Celeste.Carol

I think it would be difficult to gauge because someone who is raving about you or winking could be doing that to many many profiles in attempt to get a reply.

For females, absolutely not. I remember seeing some guy who posted a photoshopped pic of a girl mixed with a pic and she still got a few dozen messages within the first week.

For guys its a much better indicator. At least as a purely physical one. Only the top 20% I'd estimate get any consistent attention online.

Ha, ha, if I had to gauge dating success via OLD versus real life I'd say I was darned attractive in OLD. Getting dates in real life sucked. Hence I didn't see OLD as a gauge of anything, rather an alternative place to meet single women.

I think it's a crap shoot not an accurate measure of anything.

I can confirm that D0nnivains view is pretty accurate.

I have met men On Line who seem normal only to discover they are freaks of nature.

I have met men on line who are much better looking than their pictures suggest.

I have met men on line who seem interesting only to discover that they are in fact as boring as hell.

I have met met who seem dull but who are in fact pretty awesome.

Until you take On Line into real life you will never know what the reality actually is.

As for the amount of attention I get its pretty much the same. Difference is that On line I don't have to ask if they are single and then double check... I just have to double check...

• Like 2
Michelle ma Belle
I can confirm that D0nnivains view is pretty accurate.

I have met men On Line who seem normal only to discover they are freaks of nature.

I have met men on line who are much better looking than their pictures suggest.

I have met men on line who seem interesting only to discover that they are in fact as boring as hell.

I have met met who seem dull but who are in fact pretty awesome.

Until you take On Line into real life you will never know what the reality actually is.

As for the amount of attention I get its pretty much the same. Difference is that On line I don't have to ask if they are single and then double check... I just have to double check...

Amen.

I have learned never to take anything that's done online too seriously for better or worse.

• Like 1
  • Author
To whom? because I am the only one knowing how much attention I get online right?

like if you get 70% people reply to you online, it means you would roughly also get 30% people reject you in real life or something...that's what i meant by "reflecting your desirability in real life"

as for "the more message you get the more attractive you are" I mean if you put yourself on a pedestal you will get higher rate if you get heaps of people messaging you

• Like 1
like if you get 70% people reply to you online, it means you would roughly also get 30% people reject you in real life or something...that's what i meant by "reflecting your desirability in real life"

as for "the more message you get the more attractive you are" I mean if you put yourself on a pedestal you will get higher rate if you get heaps of people messaging you

Because OLD is primarily about how one looks, yes I believe how attractive you are there has a direct correlation as to how attractive you are in person.

I have yet to meet anyone from OLD who looked better in person than they did in their pictures.

Celeste.Carol

You do not want to be placed on a pedestal. When someone places you on a pedestal they end up ripping you down.

• Like 1

IMO, the relative attractiveness was similar but, in real life, women made split second decisions, and rejections, without any marked interaction versus online dating, at the time anyway, where some back and forth could occur. Also, it was difficult in real life to meet any single women, verifiable or not, whereas in online dating, nearly all presented themselves as single and none I ever dated turned out to be married or in a relationship. Most, as in real life, were of course socializing with other men but that was a normal dating dynamic at the time.

If I had experienced the success in getting dates in real life, meaning meeting women in person and them accepting my requests for a date, that I did in online dating, I never would have used online dating in the first place. No need.

If online dating has evolved more to a Sears Roebuck catalog of picture shopping, and attractiveness turning upon appearance solely in that milieu, I could see it becoming a gauge of that form of attractiveness.

That would work if everyone in life was single and looking. When I send messages online I am sending messages in a pound where 100% of people are suppose to be single and looking. When I approach someone in real life he risks being married or in a relationship or not looking that makes the rejection rate much higher. I can approach 6 men today but if all of them happen to be married that makes my rejection rate at 100%

I get a lot of messages, it boosts my ego yes and it gives me more choices but I fail to see how it makes me more attractive to others because I am the only one handling my message, men have no way to know if I am popular online or not.

For me, absolutely not. It I was to judge myself on OLD I'd be very depressed with my lot.

I'd say only a tiny percentage of women I message online respond. In real life, most women I talk to will at least engage me in conversation, though of course many are not single.

• Like 2

If online dating has evolved more to a Sears Roebuck catalog of picture shopping, and attractiveness turning upon appearance solely in that milieu, I could see it becoming a gauge of that form of attractiveness.

It has become exactly that, Tinder being a good example.

• Author
It's quite an accurate tool. I do get slightly more attention in real life, but still get plenty online.

You are probably the only one who would get less attention online..

Celeste.Carol

I do not know how old you are, but you will learn attractive does not guarantee a better match even if it garners more matches and attention and in real life, the amount of head turns, whistles, grunts, bows, this is all superficial and while it gets you attention, it does not mean these people want to settle with you, have kids, and make a life with you. It usually is the opposite.

• Like 1
Michelle ma Belle
I do not know how old you are, but you will learn attractive does not guarantee a better match even if it garners more matches and attention and in real life, the amount of head turns, whistles, grunts, bows, this is all superficial and while it gets you attention, it does not mean these people want to settle with you, have kids, and make a life with you. It usually is the opposite.

Quality versus quantity.

• Like 1