What do you think of people that base their relationship off of social media?

candycane0116

candycane0116

websites such as Facebook? Insecurity, immaturity, validation, or what? I know of people that feel like if their partner is not posting many pictures up of them together or doesn't have their relationship displayed then the person isn't as into the relationship as they are... Thoughts?

• Author
candycane0116
I deleted mine so I don't have to worry about it.

Same here. I've deleted ALL of my social networks (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and deleted my snapchat APP)...

mortensorchid

I don't think you have to put much about it on social networking anymore. If and when, I have updated my relationship status as "in a relationship with ____" just once because I've only been in a serious relationship with one person since the advent of. You get into trouble by saying things about others and people in general. And will anyone actually TELL you that it bothers them? Oh no, of course not. They tell you via email what an a****** they think you are. Call the communication? Oh no, never.

People just know what they know already, nothing is going to change it.

acrosstheuniverse

I don't really think much of it to be honest, it's not my business. People like to post pictures of them and their partners, no big deal. It's a bit showy when you get loads of long lovey messages pasted onto each other's walls when they could have just been sent in a private message, makes you wonder who they're trying to ward off, but literally nobody I know does that. It just used to happen back when we were teenagers.

My best friend's brother has a girlfriend he's been with just under a year, she already had a baby when she got together with him and they moved in together straight away. She's a classic case of kinda WAY TOO MUCH forced love and attention on facebook, but weirdly enough more towards his family. For example she calls her partner's (my best friend's brother.. keep up lol) stepmother her son's Grandma, despite the fact he's her stepson and the baby isn't even his stepson, they're not married. And kinda goes out of her way to post constant new statuses, it seems like she's trying really really hard to ingratiate herself into the family. She says things like how she's so pleased her baby niece (my best friend's new baby) has been born and she's gonna be the best auntie ever, when she's been dating her stepbrother less than a year! She actually posted a photo earlier of my best friend's Mum with my best mate's new daughter, and this girl's little boy was in the photo too, captions 'Nanny with her two grandkids' which I thought was her worst yet, just no. Your baby from a guy who's long gone isn't her first grandchild just because you're dating her stepson. Best friend's baby is her first grandchild. Someone must have said something though because I noticed it'd been deleted an hour later and wasn't showing on anyone's page, despite tagging her boyfriend, my best mate, her partner, her boyfriend's dad and stepmum and pretty much anyone else she could think of. They're on and off again constantly splitting up and then moving back in with each other anyway, it just seems so weirdly close and inappropriate.

websites such as Facebook? Insecurity, immaturity, validation, or what? I know of people that feel like if their partner is not posting many pictures up of them together or doesn't have their relationship displayed then the person isn't as into the relationship as they are... Thoughts?

Social media isn't the place for my relationship.

You can't look at my social media and tell much (if anything at all really) about my love life.

I've had first row seats to the rise and fall of several "social media relationships" from the day they changed statuses and tagged each other, to the copious amounts of pictures of them kissing, to this person is the greatest, to the demise when they delete all the pictures or start posting statuses or memes about hurt, betrayal, singleness the rest....I NEVER want to be that person where people can document the rise and fall of my love life through social media, so I simply avoid doing that.

I don't think anything is wrong with the occasional sharing but where you are practically living the whole thing out on social media, every date, every present, every kiss, every thought, every argument, everything...no way! Not to say if you're married it's better, but I'm a little more understanding of those who are married and have been so for a while, but esp people who are just dating and who likely won't even be with this person 3 months from now, I find that esp annoying and bizarre. I'm also way more aware that things need time to grow and solidify and I just feel like putting it all on blast before it settles in puts more pressure on the relationship where it's more about showing off that you have someone than it is actually making sure things are sustainable. I have seen too many fly by night social media "great loves" that post hot and heavy like they've found the world and it's all about their relationship then it lasts 2 months. But then they are back on it 2 months later with a new great love and forever the one....:rolleyes: I am way more private than that about my love life, esp when it is new and we're just figuring out our way and fortunately, so were most of the guys I've dated.

I find it sad that they have to validate/show off their relationship because 99% of the time, the relationship ia going down the toilet or they are insecure about themselves.

TunaInTheBrine

Just like status updates of new purchases, or where someone is traveling to, or the lavish restaurant they are dining at, people and relationships too are used as narcissistic supply in social media. I feel the U.S. is becoming less and less about the actual relationship, and more and more about the sense of status, power, or desirability that being in one displays/validates.

• Like 2

I was a teenager once and well I did post more about my relationships than I do now - probably stuff I didn't realise was nauseating but probably was. I try and be very discreet now about sharing stuff as it seems in poor taste to me now. If people think I must be a loner for not sharing my romantic life, then so be it. Like everyone I do enjoy the odd ego boost from social media :) including this guy who likes a lot of my posts but I haven't seen him since university. I would try and pursue that if he didn't live a couple of hundred miles away as we have lots of interests in common and I think he's totally cute.