Dating a coworker

Couple of questions, I just got a new job and there is the cute girl that also works there. A group of us from work went out for drinks on Friday night and I talked to this girl quite a bit and she seemed really cool. Then last night on Saturday, as I was walking out of a bar in the city and she happened to be walking in. I briefly exchanged words with her but had to run since the people I was with were hustling for a cab. Later on that night, she texts one of our other coworkers to get my number and texts me saying, "that is so crazy I ran into you! what are the chances?!?!" First off, is it okay to ask out a coworker? We don't even work in the same department. In fact she works on a different floor in the building than I do, so we pretty much dont even see each other during the work day. Secondly, should I interpret that as a sign of interest that she got my number from my coworker just to text me that night like "omg crazy I ran into you!" I'm debating asking her out to get drinks or something after work some night this week at a nice place.

La.Primavera

She is interested in you but she may not be romantically interested. Only time will tell. You have a couple of choices, the friendly approach of hanging out (coffee or drinks) as friends and seeing if things progress naturally, or cut straight to the chase and ask her out on a date.

As for coworker dating, always proceed with caution and way up any risks. The last thing you need is a whole heap of drama when you are only newly employed there.

• Author
She is interested in you but she may not be romantically interested. Only time will tell. You have a couple of choices, the friendly approach of hanging out (coffee or drinks) as friends and seeing if things progress naturally, or cut straight to the chase and ask her out on a date.

As for coworker dating, always proceed with caution and way up any risks. The last thing you need is a whole heap of drama when you are only newly employed there.

Interested but not romantically interested? I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean.... I asked her, "we should go out and get drinks together sometime this week." She said, "yeah we can do that, probably a little later in the week though." I would assume she thinks I'm interested in her in a non-platonic way if I'm asking her out for drinks one on one without other coworkers, especially seeing as I just met her two days ago. If she tries to make it a group thing when I contact her to make more solid plans in a few days I guess I'll be able to take the hint haha.

La.Primavera
Interested but not romantically interested? I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean.... I asked her, "we should go out and get drinks together sometime this week." She said, "yeah we can do that, probably a little later in the week though." I would assume she thinks I'm interested in her in a non-platonic way if I'm asking her out for drinks one on one without other coworkers, especially seeing as I just met her two days ago. If she tries to make it a group thing when I contact her to make more solid plans in a few days I guess I'll be able to take the hint haha.

I meant she is interested in you as a person, maybe a friend or maybe more. It can be hard to tell, some people are really social and bubbly that way. I just thought I warn you that it might be platonic interest, hopefully not.

It was a good idea to ask her out for drinks one on one. If she starts inviting other people I think it is safe to assume she wasn't trying to pursue you. That doesn't mean you have to give up the idea of pursuing her though. Either way it is a good opportunity to get to know her better and see if there is a connection.

Good luck!

I've done that mess twice and got burned on both. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

I tried it once...never again and I never ended up dating her either, just endless office flirting.

Go for it dude. The fact that she works in a different department and you don't have to be in the same area as her or see her often when you work pretty much eliminates the problems or awkwardness you'd have if it doesn't end up working out .

She went out of her way to ask someone for your number. She wouldn't have done that if she didn't like you or was attracted to you in some way so you should be confident knowing that.

She accepted your offer to hang out and get drinks. Clearly she works during the week so the end of the week or weekend is better for her as she said in her reply. You can ask her to get drinks on fri or Saturday and if she asks if anyone else is going you can tell her "a couple of the other workers were talking about maybe coming out but it'll probably be just us, that cool with u?" OR just don't bother with that and keep it just you and her. Casual and then let the date naturally progress itself into more.

Go for it dude. The fact that she works in a different department and you don't have to be in the same area as her or see her often when you work pretty much eliminates the problems or awkwardness you'd have if it doesn't end up working out .

She went out of her way to ask someone for your number. She wouldn't have done that if she didn't like you or was attracted to you in some way so you should be confident knowing that.

She accepted your offer to hang out and get drinks. Clearly she works during the week so the end of the week or weekend is better for her as she said in her reply. You can ask her to get drinks on fri or Saturday and if she asks if anyone else is going you can tell her "a couple of the other workers were talking about maybe coming out but it'll probably be just us, that cool with u?" OR just don't bother with that and keep it just you and her. Casual and then let the date naturally progress itself into more.

Thinking about it, this is pretty good advice on the whole. As people here keep telling me, nothing ventured nothing gained.

I'd try establish how many other employees she sees on a friendly basis outside of the office though.

TunaInTheBrine
Couple of questions, I just got a new job and there is the cute girl that also works there. A group of us from work went out for drinks on Friday night and I talked to this girl quite a bit and she seemed really cool. Then last night on Saturday, as I was walking out of a bar in the city and she happened to be walking in. I briefly exchanged words with her but had to run since the people I was with were hustling for a cab. Later on that night, she texts one of our other coworkers to get my number and texts me saying, "that is so crazy I ran into you! what are the chances?!?!" First off, is it okay to ask out a coworker? We don't even work in the same department. In fact she works on a different floor in the building than I do, so we pretty much dont even see each other during the work day. Secondly, should I interpret that as a sign of interest that she got my number from my coworker just to text me that night like "omg crazy I ran into you!" I'm debating asking her out to get drinks or something after work some night this week at a nice place.

I have never seen a workplace romance end happily, although I hear it exists. Kind of like Nickelback fans - they're supposedly out there but no one can seem to find any.

Pursue at your own risk. Either way, whatever you do, don't listen to Nickelback.