Anyone ever dated someone going through a divorce?

green eyed ann

green eyed ann

I'm dating a guy going through the final stages of his divorce - it should be final in mid-January. They were married for 14 years but had no children so it's probably an easier one than most. Nonetheless, I do sense that he wants to take it slow with me and that there is a little bit of pain there.

I'd love to hear about other peoples' experiences. Are these the types of relationships that can lead to long term commitment and marriage or do they tend to be very rocky. Any thoughts would be great.

Married 10 years but had three kids. I never saw myself divorcing so to me it was in some sense a personal failure. I realized that both of us contributed to the failure of the marraige and I decided that I would not repeat what I felt were my shortcomings in future relationships. I also decided that I was going to be very self centered and selfish.

I have an imaginary box that I have drawn that people must basically fit inside or I will move along. For me, we need to be on the same page sexually, geographically, inteligence, humor, and an understanding of my committment to my kids. If someone cannot meet those standards, I say thanks and move on. I feel there is no need to compromise myself or what I want for someone--there is someone out there for me, just need to find her.

Not sure this helps but it might give you a guys perspective. Also, FYI, I am on my third "serious" relationship since my divorce 4 yrs ago. All laster over a year. I am not very good at playing the field or dating many people at once.